01Blade

what suit has the best performance

I don't know who came up with the infamous 7 to 1 G.R. I'm not into that tech stuff, just into designing the highest performing wing suits. All I can say is at break off time when everybody is maxing out their suits, I am looking down and behind me at all of the other suits. When your in the plane watching wingsuit pilots exit they are falling down and behind the plane at a certain rate. That is my point of view at break off, everyone falls down and behind me at almost that rate. In a Mach 1 I can put 1000 feet of vertical separation between myself and other pilots(of other wingsuits) in seconds as unbelievable as that sounds. The pilots I jump with are mostly high experience wingsuit fliers, some taller and lighter than me. When they are flying Mach 1's I'm giving it all I've got to keep up with them.
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

The flight path would be perpendicular to one of the runways.

This gave me another thought - how about flying jump run parallel to one of the runways (say 3 or so miles - whatever everyone is comfortable with). Everyone flies to the runway (in a flight path perpendicular to it - the shortest route) and pulls when they pass it. Folks on the ground can verify they cross the "finish line". The person who opens at the highest altitude (Neptune check) has the best glide ratio.

This way exit order isn't a factor and the flight can be longer giving more of a spread if there are some very close contenders. How fast your canopy opens would be about the only significant variable - slower openings of course working against you.
Play like your life depends on it.

This will only work for the first 1000 ft or so after they pull away from you, and during those 1000 ft both wingsuits probably have not even stabilized to steady flight.

I totally disagree, like Scott, as well. An equal starting state is an equal starting state. Likewise, in the "race" I propose everyone involved will clearly see who ends up in front at pull-time. Likewise, if someone hums it past you from behind when you are under canopy, then you will know they took it low. If you see them pass over your head and you are under canopy, they have smoked you both in distance and time aloft. While the "Lodi tracking contest" format you propose if fine if you have ground judges, that's still "individual". What I want to see is one person clearly outflying another in their supposed "best suit", not matter what suit that is. I don't pretend to know who that might be nor what he might be flying.

After such a jump, I think it would then be appropriate for people to swap suits and do it again. That would truly let a person know if such a "victory" were pilot or suit driven. I hope that makes sense. I have done such jumps repeatedly here at Z-hills with Scotty Burns when we were both trying to figure out which of three of our suits (S6, V1, V2) we could get the best results out of. In that case it was the S6 every single time, whether he was flying it or I. I haven't been able to do that with any of the Tony demos, because none of them fit me properly. Flock and Dock 3.0 will provide a venue for plenty of such evaluations.

Chuck

I don't know who came up with the infamous 7 to 1 G.R.

You did.

nah. look at my post above. it's dated earlier than this post.. and while Jeff does say "I achieved 19mph vertical and 139mph horizontal" he doesn't say sustained.

Straight flight no dives between 6,000 and 2,500 ft I achieved 19mph vertical and 139mph horizontal

To me, that implies sustained for 3500 ft.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Why not use a Heli or a balloon to exit from? Makes things simple. Flight can be parallel to the runway on different sides of it.

Kris.

Excellent idea.

I figured with 50+ folks at F&D3 that we'd be putting out an entire plane load.

That's why I thought a jump run parallel to the runway and flights perpendicular to it and once you cross you open - look up and down the flight line - highest man wins. :)
Play like your life depends on it.

you don't need everyone out at the same time

race in pairs like a tracking race

do a linked exit to be sure you leave the plane together

I learned this from a Swiss guy at Sebastian last year. Linked two-way (handgrips) exit into the wind from a caravan is easy, should be simple from an otter also.

but really this kind of race interests me not so much anymore...

the way to go is 2-way jumps from big cliffs. who cares who won if you're both laughing like crazy all the way??

that implies sustained

eh, doesn't to me (shrug)

how about drive to orlando, we put them in a windtunnel and they can go around and around... or see who doesn't smack themselves into the side the hardest. Either way it would be amusing.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

the way to go is 2-way jumps from big cliffs. who cares who won if you're both laughing like crazy all the way??

Don't you know there's no fun allowed in this thread?

my penis is bigger and better than your penis!

and Sam, well saidB|

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Of course this contest won't answer "Which suit is the best?" .. it'll answer "Which pilot/suit combination has the best glide ratio?"

Swapping suits might be a little self-defeating "Hmmm, I'm in my competitors suit .. I think I'll relax just a tad .. maybe a tad more ..."

Any great contest needs a name! How about "The Z-Flock Challenge"??

And ideas on what the prize, other than bragging rights, should be? :)

Why not use a Heli or a balloon to exit from? Makes things simple. Flight can be parallel to the runway on different sides of it.

Kris.

Simple, because I came up with the plan and I set the criteria I wanted to see judged. Nope, that's not it either. It's the criteria that everyone else seems to be interested in. Balloon jumps are a royal pain in the ass and if there are any at all at the event, they will not be the focus. Out of a plane, you can determine exactly where you get out, and exactly where you want to land (safely). Balloon jumps are a total roll of the dice and you will never get out of one above about 4000 feet.

Simple, because I came up with the plan and I set the criteria I wanted to see judged. It's the criteria that everyone else seems to be interested in.

In the past page of posts, I've seen quite a few different suggestions thrown out, indicating that we are not all in perfect agreement.

Starting from the plane (and then flying perpendicular to it) or starting from a formation at a prescribed altitude? Or starting from a balloon or heli? (helis are much less problematic than balloons and some will take you to 5500)

Judge based on air video, GPS, or ground visuals?

Stop (pull) at certain altitude or certain ground spot?

There are quite a few different aspects of the competition we all seem to differ over.

Back to my point, in air video can be severely limiting, as is relying on the competitors themselves for judging. If two people with different builds and different suits compete for glide, one could have a 30mph fallrate and the other 50mph (at optimum glide). It is totally possible that the guy falling 50mph is gliding much flatter, but it is not possible for an in air video guy to remain close enough to both competitors to see this. And by the time the 30mph guy pulls, the 50mph guy will have been under canopy for 30 seconds at least, and any canopy comparisons have lost a lot of meaning by then. There needs to be a reliable way to judge the outcome.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com