matc

Glide ratio

good WS - er is coming to 2.7-1.

Both Loic and James (two very exceptional pilots) did not break 2.0 at the world wingsuit comp. Hence my assumption that most wingsuit jumps are under 2.0.

And I'd also bet 90% of trackers cannot break 1:1.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Both Loic and James (two very exceptional pilots) did not break 2.0 at the world wingsuit comp. Hence my assumption that most wingsuit jumps are under 2.0.

Robi's perspective may be skewed by the fact that most of the wingsuit flights he sees are his own, and he's probably the world leader in maxing out the glide ratio.

I'd also hazard a guess that Robi's numbers come from flights of precisely known elevation and distance, so that the numbers he has are actually more accurate than anything we can draw from aircraft flights.

And I'd also bet 90% of trackers cannot break 1:1.

It depends on what sort of jumping you're doing, I think. I know many, many trackers who are at 1:1 or better. They're almost all European BASE jumpers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Depends on flyer skill level and suit he wearing

And to add to what Robi said, it really depends on a flight duration. While 2.7 is very realistic sustained L/D one can reach for a few seconds, best 2-minute averages barely reach 2.4. Body strength is a major limiting factor here.

bsbd!

Yuri.

I'd also bet 90% of trackers cannot break 1:1.

Not accounting for wind, but check trackingderby.com

Tim porter is doing 1.2 to 1.3, tracking in a tight jumpsuit...(dont know if it was stormy weather...but still)
And some are doing even better...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Your assumption is correct. Loic is exceptional at what he does, however he does not care much about maxing out and his suit is optimized for proximity flying. Most wingsuit skydives are definitely under 2.0, and so are most base flights from popular "tourist" spots.

Some mountains require 2.1-2.4 averages over 90..120sec to survive, but they are only flown by a small handful of people. Nobody yet reached 2.5 average on a long flight, AFAIK.

bsbd!

Yuri.

One thing is average boys, another is the question on the top of the thread......
Honestly GPS is a nice toy, but I only believe to this toy about 90% in BASE environment, when it is about measuring the G.R. (GPS and Map is my way)
In skydiving, the different winds on different altitude ruin the data so often so much that is very hard to get the proper data.( Competition is another issue. Both jumper jumping same condition, but result we get is comparison between two or more jumpers. Still question is what was the real clear glide due the outside factors)
It is not strange to see tracker out flying WS-er in BASE jumping. believe me. to get the performance out of the suit is not easy, nor the stopwatch is enough as the tool to get this performance.....

Skydivers can't benefit from few factors BASE jumpers have: Accurate info about the certain points (exit, landing) Light thin rig.

The skydiving rigs available now are terrible for WS and according to my comparison makes data much weaker.

Personally, I admit here: I have strength to hold, what I believe is 100% for about 50 sec.
90% up to 90 sec. After I suck

:S
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Well I thought that on average wingsuiters had a gr between 2 and 3. I'm surprised that it's often under 2. It's not that much. With that said, I really need to develop my tracking skills :)

I've been at boogies before where they take the plane 3 miles upwind and a flock tries to cross-country it back to the DZ. Many people struggle to make that distance, with the wind helping them. Many people overestimate how well the average flocker glides.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think that the longer distances claimed are probably not as common as people think. The only real way to know is to have a measuring device like a GPS.. Not that anyone would embellish in this sport

Now that that is said, I am sure I can easily go that far, yeah Thats the ticket, Hell, maybe I can go further and I dont want that GPS to bust the bubble of the happy lollypop land I live in...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I'm sure we all look very forward, with much anticipation, to the next well organized competition where you will unequivocally demonstrate that 7:1 glide ratio. ;):P

happy now, matt?? ;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

and he's probably the world leader in maxing out the glide ratio.

Don't know about that!

To compare wingsuiting abilities of different pilots is wrong. Any flyer can only do the best that their physical characteristics and suit allow. In other words if you put Loic in a suit optimized for glide...he will make the current numbers look silly.

Most of the suits made by PF are optimized for a person around the same size as Robi, the suits will not work efficiently for people who can have bigger legwings.

Kris.

Most of the suits made by PF are optimized for a person around the same size as Robi, the suits will not work efficiently for people who can have bigger legwings.

Kris.

Isnt that just your own experience with a bad fit/measurement/fabrication error on your previous suit?

Granted there is an optimal build for the best performance, but suits being designed specificly for one build, and the performance varying drasticly if you have the wrong build because of that is not something Ive ever heard anyone complain about..?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

and he's probably the world leader in maxing out the glide ratio.

Would you like to fly a really beautiful gorge that requires holding pathetic L/D of 2.3 for 3km to make it out in one piece? I will be very happy to take you there. We could also progress to a couple of slightly harder cliffs where, from what i heard, Robi somehow survived ;)

Seriously, if you can fly better then Robi there is a few new mountains to open. Come and play! :)

bsbd!

Yuri.