The111

Look at that bridle go!

That's the problem of hackey handles. The ball weighs too much compared to the rest of the material and causes an U shaped bridle that may loop around the PC and cause knot over the pilot chute. Pc in tow when skydiving, total mal if base jumping.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

That's the problem of hackey handles. The ball weighs too much compared to the rest of the material and causes an U shaped bridle that may loop around the PC and cause knot over the pilot chute. Pc in tow when skydiving, total mal if base jumping.

The pilot chute in the picture has a plastic tube handle attached to it, not a hackey.

As I see it, the PC itself (regardless of the handle), when still rolled up, is denser than the bridle. The bridle catches the relative wind first and accelerates upwards faster.

To me the solution is not in a different handle, but in a PC packing technique which allows it to "unpack" (not to be confused with inflating) faster. And from what little I know about BASE, I understand that you guys do indeed have strict PC packing techniques, no?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Exactly.
I've been questioned by skydivers many times about my pilot chute packing method at the drop zone. I explain that I pack my skydiving pilot chute just as I pack a BASE pilot chute, and that is with the bridle ess folded against the mesh, with the zp dressed on the outside. It is really effective for properly staged pilot chute deployment, and has not failed me for hundreds of stowed BASE jumps, including wingsuit BASE jumps, and also hundreds of wingsuit skydives.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

OK, I Looked it too briefly. You´re right, the pc is a too tight bundle compared to the bridle, and able move with its original momentum more than the bridle. I always pack my pc (skydive and base) with a mushroom technique, trying to avoid that tight bundle thing happening after pc throw. .

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I think someone holding onto his pilot chute for half a second, before throwing it, will produce actactly this picture as well..

Ive seen it happen in a few openings I filmed..(usualy the person did a weak throw or no throw at all, and simple, slowly, let go of the pilotchute)

The bridle will be pulling out due to the wind, and already be behind the jumper, while the PC has some catching up to do once you let go..

As the attachment point of your pilotchute is facing the wrong way (due to holding it half a second longer) your pilot will do a 90 degree flip though itself, and go through 'the bundle state' as its blown back, and catches air, and then finaly inflates..

Pilotchutes with big nasty hackey-balls can also snag catch the bridle at this point...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

That's me in the photo.

The only PC mal I've seen was MoonGlo's where her hackey went right into one of the holes in the bottom of the PC. That's when I switched to the lightweight PVC tube even though I prefer the hackey for grabbing.

Unless you're holding the entire PC rather than the handle I don't see any way that 9 feet of bridle is going to stay neatly trapped in a wadded up piece of nylon while 100mph of breeze is blowing past. As soon as any part of that bridle sees the breeze it's going to blow upwards first. And I'm a grab and pitch type .. I don't hang on to it.

A great big BASE PC or a low speed deployment might look different, but I'll bet most skydiving pulls look pretty much like this. The old Racer pud-on-the-bottom-of-the-PC might look different too.

Unless I'm wrong of course.

On my wingsuit BASE jumps I jump with Morpgeous Tech.s Bridle Storage Pouch
I believe it was designed to prevent this very thing.

I like the piece of mind it gives while pitching at 300 ft above the trees going 90 mph. I have that fraction of a seconds hesitation while the 36 inch vented ZP PC pulls the 12 foot bridle to extension, thinking: "this is it, this is what death looks like". The whole time knowing I've done everything I could to prevent a complication that will cause me to leave this world in a gooy broken mess (albeit contained in a neet easy-to-clean-up package reading "Pheonix Fly")

Shit I miss tall objects, it's been too long. I feel like I need to go kneel at the base of a tall cliff and confess my sins "Bless me mother for I have sinned, it's been 3 months since my last WS BASE Jump."

You know what they say, "Work sucks, but it pays for trips to Norway:ph34r:

But that's on BASE jumps, on skydives I huck the hacky out at 2k and hope for the best (who gives a shit, you got another one.):)
Be safe. Please have your rigger talk to Robert or Kathy at Morpheous to get the full story and specs on this mod (at first I thought it was made to hold an iPod:D)

See ya
-Bill

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

That's actually very common on BASE jumps, and something we specifically train students to avoid with their pitch technique. Our gear (with no handles on many PC's) also helps.

The big danger is that the inflating PC can pass through the bridle, and potentially get choked off. There has been one BASE wingsuit fatality that was probably caused by this (there was, anachronistically, a hackey on that PC), and at least 3 near misses (where the jumper landed with an overhand knot in the bridle, but the PC cleared the knot and still inflated, or generated enough drag as a streamer to open the container and extract the canopy). On a skydive, obviously, that's a lot less dangerous, because of that second parachute.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

this exact thing happened to Chris Kessler on a freefly jump and his first reaction was to pull the bridal and bag out of the container and into the wind. When he landed his bridal was knotted around the P/C compleatly choking it off
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Well. I jump a really short bridle, so don't think it can make a knot on itself.

How short is really short..?
I was under the impression that whilst you might be avoiding one possible mal ( knotted PC) you are increasing the risk of another....PC in tow/delayed inflation....as your PC is now alot closer to your (larger) burble

Thinking about that some more...does it not also mean you could give yourself more chance of a knotted bridal..? ie your partially inflated PC 'dancing' with the bridal behind/above you

That's actually very common on BASE jumps, and something we specifically train students to avoid with their pitch technique.

Tom could you clarify?
Do you mean grabbing the PC and pitching straight from the BOC as opposed to extracting the PC from the BOC , holding, and then releasing..??

How short is really short..?

I can not remember, but I can measure from pin to PC.
It is definitely shorter than recommended.

I was under the impression that whilst you might be avoiding one possible mal ( knotted PC) you are increasing the risk of another....PC in tow/delayed inflation....as your PC is now alot closer to your (larger) burble

I did not mean to avoid anything. I have a 36" F111 kill-line PC with a short bridle and I got no problem with it so far, although I don't deploy from full flight.

E.g. Atair recommends 24" ZP kill-line PC for canopy 150 sqft or under. I had one dive with a Coblat135 and 24" ZP PC and wing suit, opening was just fine.

Thinking about that some more...does it not also mean you could give yourself more chance of a knotted bridal..? ie your partially inflated PC 'dancing' with the bridal behind/above you

I have not experienced any of those problems so far.

The type of handle would not have matterred at all.

The pitch methodology would probably have helped, though. 90% of the experienced jumpers I see are still using a skydiving style "wrist flick" which spins the bridle and PC around each other, greatly increasing the chances of an entanglement.

To reduce the entanglement potential, you should pitch in such a way that the apex of the PC continues to lead all the way to bridle stretch. If you spin the PC such that the apex rotates back toward you, you're likely to be dumping bridle ahead of the PC's travel path. Another good way to avoid this is to use a bridle staging pocket.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That's actually very common on BASE jumps, and something we specifically train students to avoid with their pitch technique.

Tom could you clarify?
Do you mean grabbing the PC and pitching straight from the BOC as opposed to extracting the PC from the BOC , holding, and then releasing..??

Not really. I mean not flicking your wrist, so that you don't rotate the PC as it moves to bridle stretch. Typically, I see students giving the PC between a 360 and a 720 before it reaches bridle stretch. It's easy enough to see what you are doing if you just do some practice pitches in your living room (even easier if you have a big mirror to watch in).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com