Kunstrasen

Altimeter and Winggrippers

Hi,

I think all WS makers recommend to mount the altimeter on the hand for (more) accurate readings. In case of holding wing grippers I find it almost impossible to read the altimeter. Surely grippers can be released to read the AM, but that compromises performance. Any recommendations ;)?

Long flights

Don't forget to always make sure you put your alti on before your thumb loop. Not exactly life threatening, it can just be a bit of a pain in the arse.

I've seen some jumpers using a mount on their MLW with some success, might be worth looking into that?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Get the mudflap altimeter holder from either Bonehead or I think Bodypilot1 makes some also -- they will read fine there or even on the chest strap

Or a good audible and know what the ground looks like when you low.

I personally only look at my alti if I feel I am way long and might not make it back

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I use the mudflapmount from bonehead and it works great for me.It's far enough to the side so it doesn't get false readings.Only hassle is when you are packing.The thing is kind of rigid.:)
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

Mount it on the thumb (slighly rotate it at around you wrist) and you'll be able to read your alti, and hold grippers, without having to twist your hand..

That, or simply ignore what the old school thinking was and just wear your alti on your mudflap or chest strap. Nobody I know who does that suffers any in the way of accuracy at pull-time (the only time that matters really). I don't even teach that in FFC's anymore. I wear my neptune on my left hand (rotated toward the thumb), but never look at it. I set my Dyter for breakoff and pull-time, make sure it looks right with my eyes, check my neptune and dump. I believe you do lose some "perfection of form" when you crane your neck over and drop a gripper to check a hand-mounted alti, so I am most assuredly going to just buy a wedge and put my neptune on the mudflap.

Chuck

I use my alti mounted on my mudflap with no problem, it is a schlep when you have to take it off during packing..

Its also not fun when you get side swipped by people who change direction when they look at wrist mounted altis.

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

Get the mudflap altimeter holder from either Bonehead or I think Bodypilot1 makes some also -- they will read fine there or even on the chest strap

I had the same problem/dislike and got a BH Alti mount and it is on my MudFlap. Have had no problems since then and have been 100% happier then with alti on my wrist for WS jumps... I also have a audible Neptune on my helmet..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I got a bonehead mudflap mount and modified it to hold a Neptune. You have to cut the mount down to size, sand the sharp edges, drill hole in the right places, and get longer screws for the Neptune. It works like a charm though! Plus its not as bulky as mounting an Alti Galaxy on there.
Flying Hellfish #470

LOL
You wrote that you need an altimeter, an audible, and an automatic opening device!
I have more self confidence than that.
I carry only an audible.
I do not need to know exactly what my altitude is for two minutes.
I know where the ground is, and it's not so hard to know where (roughly) 2 grand is.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

I learned a lesson on a jump with Avery. Don't try to film his openings, unless your properly equipt, great ground rush at (roughly 2 grand.)

I think Avery is still trying to adjust to that piece of fabric on his lines. His pull altitude may revert from time to time to it's original slider down calibration.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I learned a lesson on a jump with Avery. Don't try to film his openings, unless your properly equipt, great ground rush at (roughly 2 grand.)

Its a lot more fun to fly relative to him while he is the inverted rabit w/ video. See who blinks first to pitch. Damn he always wins. One day I'm going to get a setup like his and maybe even draw a bead of sweat from him.