mccordia

Birdman Skyflying team

On that note, I took a Z-hills jumper here up on his first and second flights yesterday (in a Phantom) and he positively smoked it. All I could do was look up and go "nice job!" His second jump involved two docks, him doing over and unders, and even a backfly attempt!

I had one of those too, I took him on his first jump at Lake Wales then met up with him on New Years. We missed that last Casa load so he, I and Purple Paul did a 3 way with a bunch of over/unders and we were all bumping shoulders the whole jump. Very quick learner.

I also agree that bigways give everyone a chance to learn - I still have Rickster's photo of DeLand 2004 bigway on my wall - I am straggling in the back (actually, flying the wrong slot). :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Based on my experience I find that wingsuit big formations are just RW bigway formations in the horizontal level. Not to start a debate about RW vs FF experience and so on.

There are people who have a great deal of RW experience but still don't get the principles when its done in a wingsuit. Mostly because it is moving the second the base leaves and not just while on the hill. Second, unless the group gets a special jumprun the whole formation will have some turns in it. jumpers with CReW skills will do better here. How to chase a formation. How to fly a slower or faster wing during the turn and what that sight picture should look like.

What sort of vertical speeds were you guys averaging when building the formations? It seems on many of the pics that the legwings are quite vertical which I figure means lower horizontal speeds with reciprocally higher vertical speeds ?? We tried some impromptu tight 4 way and 5 way flocks in SA over the past weekend using 3 different suits S2, S6 and Mach 1 and went down as low as 65 Mph avg vertical - we could go slower so we thought we should ??
You are defined by how you respond to what happens to you NOT by what happens to you!

What sort of vertical speeds were you guys averaging when building the formations? It seems on many of the pics that the legwings are quite vertical which I figure means lower horizontal speeds with reciprocally higher vertical speeds ?? We tried some impromptu tight 4 way and 5 way flocks in SA over the past weekend using 3 different suits S2, S6 and Mach 1 and went down as low as 65 Mph avg vertical - we could go slower so we thought we should ??

60-ish speeds is what we where doing most jumps..just so everyone could easely make it back into their slot if they went low.

Having more forward speed does make it easyer for 'slightly chubby' people (like me:S) to maintain the lift, and stay in the formations..instead of flying stalish the whole time, and dropping out of the sku..

And for the stacked formations, having more forward speed makes avoiding burbles less of an issue..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

instead of flying stalish the whole time, and dropping out of the sku..

Since 65mph fallrate is typical for flocking, the forward speed is not stellar either (~70mph), and pitch angle is around 0 or even slightly head-high, that makes the angle of attack about 40-45 degrees.

Flocking = stalling in formations. ;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Iaw to my GPS used on some of the jumps the Pitch read out was between 30 and 45 degree on most the jumps but mostly between 35 to 40 degree.

"But remember that the wind have a great influence on these numbers so they are only guidelines.."

By the way now it is official David is a ALIEN look at he's eyes on todays pic LOL
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

Iaw to my GPS used on some of the jumps the Pitch read out was between 30 and 45 degree on most the jumps but mostly between 35 to 40 degree.

The pitch in JumpTrack and the pitch Yuri is talking about are 2 different things. The pitch in JumpTrack is what most people call glide ratio.

By the way now it is official David is a ALIEN look at he's eyes on todays pic LOL

Eh? They're too small for me to see... maybe you're the alien? with eyes with inbuilt zoom? :P
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Flocking = stalling in formations. ;)

Given the typical wingsuit planform, surely it would behave as a delta wing.

In a delta, as the angle of attack increases the leading edge of the wing generates a vortex which remains attached to the upper surface of the wing, giving the delta a very high stall angle. In this regime the delta changes over to a mode of lift based on the vortex it generates.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The pitch in JumpTrack and the pitch Yuri is talking about are 2 different things. The pitch in JumpTrack is what most people call glide ratio.

Okay, so it's bad form to reply to yourself, but I can't edit any more. Just wanted to say I've made a boo-boo: I meant Paralog of course, not JumpTrack. :)
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

In a delta, as the angle of attack increases the leading edge of the wing generates a vortex which remains attached to the upper surface of the wing, giving the delta a very high stall angle. In this regime the delta changes over to a mode of lift based on the vortex it generates.

I might be totally wrong with my limited WS experience, but might it actually be possible to feel this vortex? Made two flights recently were I tried to really push it and were I suddenly felt the fabric on the back of my arms flutter. Might this have been the vortex you talk about?
My Logbook

I might be totally wrong with my limited WS experience, but might it actually be possible to feel this vortex? Made two flights recently were I tried to really push it and were I suddenly felt the fabric on the back of my arms flutter. Might this have been the vortex you talk about?

You probably stalled the suit.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You probably stalled the suit.

Or he was going so fast that the inlet was no longer being pressurized enough because of the high wind speed, passing by not into the suit

I also feel the same when maxed out and believe me i don't stall the suit unless it's a high speed stall;)

I also believe thats why PF have air scoops not flat inlets like BM
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

those picts are ok and all, but where I'm from we do multi way formations all linked. flying next to each other is easy and boring. Try a 9 way 8 point dive with each formation flown fully docked for at least 3 seconds apiece, if you want to try something with some sort of difficulty level!
deinflate your ego

those picts are ok and all, but where I'm from we do multi way formations all linked. flying next to each other is easy and boring. Try a 9 way 8 point dive with each formation flown fully docked for at least 3 seconds apiece, if you want to try something with some sort of difficulty level!

Having a slow night at home?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Having a slow night at home?

Neehh...he was having a slow night at Z-Hills...

But that trolling aside..
Today is the 20th, and as promissed, Costyn just uploaded all 23 pictures!

Check em out at http://www.birdmantopgun.com
Or go to http://www.birdmantopgun.com/gallery.php?picture=14 to continue from the last picture we posted!

We'll be adding a thumbnail page soon (for easyer browsing)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?