KrisFlyZ

Spoon in the Kitchen

Hold a spoon lightly so that it hangs nown naturally and can move easily like a pendulum if a force were applied to it.

Now place this close to a tap from which water is flowing at a decent rate..move your hand so that the convex (or bottom) part of the spoon barely touches the water. See what happens. The spoon is 'sucked'into the water stream and the water flow changing direction and following the trailing edge of the spoon. You can feel this force on your fingers.

Lift from flow turning.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/right2.html

It was pretty cool to visualize the flow turning and actually feel the force.

On the flip side, take a knife or ruler and stick it under the flow at an angle see what happens and the pattern the water bouncing from the flat surface follows. Repeat the experiment with the concave side of the spoon facing the water flow. Cool huh!

Kris.

Bernouilly's law. this is why birds, airplanes, wingsuits, ... fly.

Hope you read the link and all material presented on the NASA website.

Specifically the following link.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bernnew.html

I posted that because it was cool to visualize the flow turning and feel the force. Maybe even point out the importance of Camber.

Kris.

Don't worry Kris, it'll soon be summer, and we'll get you out of the kitchen and back in the air!!! Meanwhile keep away from the knifes; It's a cool trick, but I am beginning to worry about you... ;)

Hope you had a good christmas and see you in the new year x
Life is a four letter word!

The main purpose of this section is to dispel the notion that a normal wing produces lift “because” of some type of Coanda effect.

Using the Coanda effect to explain the operation of a normal wing makes about as much sense as using bowling to explain walking. To be sure, bowling and walking use some of the same muscle groups, and both at some level depend on Newton’s laws, but if you don’t already know how to walk you won’t learn much by considering the additional complexity of the bowling situation. Key elements of the bowling scenario are not present during ordinary walking.

Link: http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/spins.html

Now if we were airplanes and had jet engines this would be relevant.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING