dusm12

Wingsuit canopy dilemma

I'm jumping the V1 and have demoed the pilot and sabre2 150. I have no experience in the 7 cell canopy. my 120 spun up and cut that one away. Im looking for a canopy that is not prone to spin and if it should confidence be high that it'll unwind. What are all the common canopies that wingsuiters are using? I'm 1.26 Wingload. ps. i've found a 2000 triathlon 150 for a deal but haven't testflown yet.

I'm running an old Sabre 1 135 loaded about 1.23.
Not a rocket, but sporty enough. I figured a canopy with a rep for hard openings ought to work out well deployed at half-terminal. It does so far...about half a dozen jumps on it so far.
One real nasty set of twists under it, my fault, had a hard time getting the PC out (bunched up a bit) and when I did get it, it went with a horribly asymmetrical one armed yank that tilted me into a half barrel roll and I knew this was going to be an interesting ride.
Thing flew nice and straight and didn't do anything uncivilized while I thrashed out of half a dozen twists.
Your mileage may vary.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I'm personally not a sabre (I or II) fan, even though I went through afp on one.

7 cells can be fun. i'd suggest demoing a triathlon and a spectre before you make a decision tho.

Of the canopies most WS I know jump are spectres, triathlons. sabres and pilots. Those would be your best bet. if you do a search for this topic you should find some other talk/decisions about canopies here.

I've jumped quite a bit on my spectre 150 and my pilot 132 and had zero problems with either.

what type is your 120?

as a side note are you sure it's the canopy that is spinning and not you? Could be poor position at deployment. You are jumping a V1 and maybe at pitch you are not collapasing [all] the wings enough.

I'd probably ask another WS pilot with larger WS experience watch you on deployment for some feedback. may end up saving you a few hundred $ [you can buy me beer and jumps with for, ya know, saving you the $];)

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

On my 10'th WS jump I cut away my Sabre 150. Given that it was 13 years old and had about 2,000 jumps on it I left it in the tree (the lady who found it was kind of bummed she was not going to get a reward!). I bought a Spectre and love it. I never jumped a 7 cell either but now that I have it I don't regret buying it for a second. I have about 100 WS jumps on it and feel extremely comfortable at deployment time. Definitely demo a Spectre or Triathalon before you make a decision.

my pilot is loaded close to what you would be loading yours and i have had great results with it while flying WS.. I have had some nasty line twist from time to time but it always flies out of them.
I would suggest you demo the canopies and find what suits you best.
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I have about 250 ws jumps in Sabre II 150 and 135 i have had multiple line twist on all my ws canopies including the current ones Katana 120 and velo 103 the sabre II was my favorit for Ws and would be the one i would go for, if going back to a Nicer canopy. it have a little funky openings but newer had to cut away any of my canopies the line twist i have had all untwisted pretty fast ..

I can only reccomend sabre II because it is fun to fly also...

Bo
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

How much free line are you leaving?

I have had some issues with line twists for awhile as well...leaving 2 feet (maybe a touch more) of free line by not using the last line stow point has made my openings PERFECT - Spectre all the way baby!!!
:P

I love my 150 Pilot loaded at about 1.6.

If you're not jumping BASE or pulling low all the time, full flight openings are unnecessarily hard on the gear and body. They're also more prone to spinning up the canopy unless you've done the container mods.

I'm jumping a Safire 109 loaded to 1.8. I have had line twists occasionally, but can attribute all of them to poor body position or a bad PC pitch. All linetwists have come undone easy, with no altitude loss.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The "Radical" from Atair Slovenia is the best kept secret due to lack of commercial promotion.... fun to fly and land, soft two stages openings on heading, the faster you go the slower it opens and therefore no problem opening in full flight, and when, rarely, twist occur, for gross pilot mistake, not spining violently, just a slow turn and last, the powerfull flare will bring a large smile on your face... go radical mate! Speak to Uncle Charlie [[email protected]], by the way they are not only of the best quality in aeronautic design and textile, they are also priced very reasonably!

yes, it is the basicly the same....
It has 9 cells and same number of lines.
same as all the skies, helmets, cars, canopies, ws are the same...

For more detailes best is to ask James or even better directly to: Stane Karjnc [email protected] ( designer of Radical and Troll DW ) :)
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

pilot 134 - loaded around 1.6ish my previous canopy was a zp exe 9 cell square which i cut away under line twists - i have had 2 or 3
proper line twists events with my pilot (due to bad body position) and it flew dead straight - i cant see myself flying anything else in the near future when jumping my WS

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

I have a sabre 1 170 loaded at about 1.25 to 1.3. Have had fantastic luck with it and the WS regarding openings. Have gotten a few openings with line twists and no problems at all in the time from opening to untwisted. Most I have had was 2 or 2.5 twists so noththing really radical. Most of the time it opens awesome...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thanks for all the input, i'm definitely not comfy flying my velocity with WS yet. the 120s were a viper and stiletto that twisted saved the stiletto w/ lil time 2 spare tho the sabre2-150 & pilot 150 have had no twists, the pilots been a lil off heading & the deep flare hasnt grown on me yet (used to PDs flare) thinkin the triathlon & spectre will be next but the shorter glide gives me pause. the 9cell to 7cell convert sounded happy

Radical was released last year, it's the successor (mind the root word!) of Cobalt, already a fine canopy (as long as you followed the rules of packing i.e. roll the tail ++, nose in, squared slider and nicel flake... same rules for Radical): improved airfoil profile, modified line trim, end cells divided in 3 to improve internal pressure and therefore reducing drag, shaped slider to make it stable and not swiveling during inflation and probably other inprovements that I am not aware of; I'm far from being an expert, certainly Stane, the brilliant owner and aeronautic designer of Atair products or James, alias Uncle Charlie, who knows Atair from the inside would be the people to talk to. Definetely a canopy to consider for fun wingsuit use: a dependable true elliptical, fun to fly and land!