VectorBoy

Jumping the jet What to expect

I've been asked to ask those that were lucky enough to have jumped the jet in a wingsuit at WFFC what was it like?

Painful, soreness, damaging to muscles and joints? Any pointers for those that will be considering the opportunity if it comes up. I've spoken to Reggie about his experiences but this is for the benefit of those that were not there and some who may be lurking this forum and thinking of hopping down to Perris if the chance to jump the jet comes up.

Arms in as you run down the aisle ... heart beating fast ... there's the "door"! .. fall into the opening .. well, this isn't so ba ... BLAM!

Jump run speed is quick .. probably around that of a high speed Casa .

I think Zack was able to get up to the level of the T tail at WFFC. He said he could smell the exhaust ... cool. He was last on the pass and was able to get a good exit rather than dive out and blow up a wing.

Reggie may have told you a few things i recommended to him before he went to do his jump. He went out last on a second pass, which in terms of visuals, isn't the most fun.
My guess is that only 8-10 wingsuiters went out on that plane so far.

I guess since no one else has posted about the jet stuff really, I guess here is maybe a little guide based upon my experience.

Position in Plane
When they run two passes , Just get out on the second pass (first or last spot). I went out first and I'd recommend going out first to people if you aren't planning on playing right away so you dont need to hop down the aisle and you can setup at the door. If want to go out last you may be able to have people let you sit near the door and let people pass by you. That would solve the running part. Have your legs zipped up once you get into the seat. It's only 4 min or so to alti.

If for some reason they decide to do 1 pass due to a smaller load (half or less) I can't see a problem going out first or last, but I doubt they'd throw it up with that small of a load. If you want to be safer, obivously go out last.

The Exit
Exit speed is 150-160kts, so it's not a 200knt highspeed pass and isn't bad at all. The air once you get out is smooth, at least compared to a prop. If you are facing up jumprun, you can probably wait a sec or so after exit and still get a nice pop. As others said, 1 by 1 exit. so if you are jumping with more birds and are first in line, you'd prob want any other brids behind the first to just dive out or there is a great change there'd be too much initial separation.

you can dive out or you can setup at the edge of the door facing jump run like you would on a tailgate.
A dive is a dive.

If you are facing jump run - Before you get into position, note where the edge is. You will see the exit is narrow and has a lip at the end of the aisle with kinda of a steep rounded ramp (it will make sense when you see it). When you turn around and back up, dont step on the curved part since you may slip and wont get a good foot plant anyways. just lightly hop off from the edge backwards and open up like a highspeed. Just don't do it like you did in MOAB;). Dont push up and back too much or you may hit or come really close to hitting your head on the back part of the door. You should be able to pop open pretty quickly without any issues, you'll probably just be a little closer to the exhaust stream of the plane.

I did get up to the T part of the tail. I'd imagine someone can get higher if they pop open earlier than I did. I hung out there while before doing my flight plan as i watched 15-20 people fall out of the back with a great background. That's one fun thing about going first. You can figure out the rest. I can't remember if it was popping up or coming down (popping up i think) you do quickly cross a little bit of an exhaust stream.. a little warmer, choppy, and the smell.

oh yeah, unless they figured out thier procedures better and pressurization, leave the cypress off.:D I dont think they had problems in the latter part of the convention tho.
BTW i think it holds 90 or 95 people and I think they put it up at the convention with a min of 80.

DC9-WS#1B|[insert stupidd bragging rights here] ;)
(i'm trying to keep a streak of first WS out on some planes for no good reason):D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

expect some awesomeness. it ruled today.
The only thing i have to add to buried's little guide thing is that slippery curved ramp thing on the end of the exit. I didn't expect it, so i kinda slid down it and out. It wasn't gracefull and ira had a big laugh about it. So i guess you could hop off before your feet are on the ramp or if you are as gracefull as me just slide down.
I didn't smell any exhuast but i for sure felt the turbulence of the engines as i passed by the stream on my way up past them.
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

nice manB|

and btw i did mention the ramp. i just didn't say it was as slippery as you did;)

with kinda of a steep rounded ramp (it will make sense when you see it). When you turn around and back up, dont step on the curved part since you may slip and wont get a good foot plant anyways.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

yeah i reread and realized that. my fault for skimming over reading material. Anyway its totally possible to slide down that ramp and still pop up after exit. Its just a surprise if you haven't seen it before because its a big rush outta the plane.
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117