Bicamber wingsuits? V-3? 4.0? ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

A thought....

Is a tri-wing wing suit not Bicambered?

Your arm wings and torso form the leading portion and your leg wing the trailing portion.

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

I dunno, my bullshit alarm went off reading that website. It doesn't look totally fake, but the dearth of numbers leads me to suspect the effect is small under ordinary circumstances, and probably in comparison to their asking price.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

When I looked at the picture showing the 'dents" along the airfoil surface (first link noted) the thing that came tomind was the Starfighter. Well that and other jets previously trying to break the sound barrier. Someone came up with the "curvy" shape to the body of the jets to improve airflow and shockingly it worked.. I did not read the site but looking at the shape does have a valid aerodynamic effect though I am not sure if it applies to WS's. I will see if I can find some info on it but I recently saw something about it on a TV documentary on Discovery (maybe) called "Fighter" or someting like that...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

When I looked at the picture showing the 'dents" along the airfoil surface (first link noted) the thing that came tomind was the Starfighter. Well that and other jets previously trying to break the sound barrier. Someone came up with the "curvy" shape to the body of the jets to improve airflow and shockingly it worked.. I did not read the site but looking at the shape does have a valid aerodynamic effect though I am not sure if it applies to WS's. I will see if I can find some info on it but I recently saw something about it on a TV documentary on Discovery (maybe) called "Fighter" or someting like that...

Scott C.

That was called the "cokebottle" design theory, used in several designs of that time including the English Buccaneer, which could go supersonic at sea level without afterburner, so it must have had some merit to it.

The overall idea was to keep the entire cross-sectional area of the aircraft smoothly increasing from the nose to the centre of the aircraft and then decreasing again from the centre to the tail. Since the wings were a 'sudden' increase incross sectional are near the centre of the aircraft, the fuselage was 'pinched' accordingly to maintain the overall effect.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Scott C.

That was called the "cokebottle" design theory, used in several designs of that time including the English Buccaneer, which could go supersonic at sea level without afterburner, so it must have had some merit to it.

The overall idea was to keep the entire cross-sectional area of the aircraft smoothly increasing from the nose to the centre of the aircraft and then decreasing again from the centre to the tail. Since the wings were a 'sudden' increase incross sectional are near the centre of the aircraft, the fuselage was 'pinched' accordingly to maintain the overall effect.

Right - "area rule" is great for transonic and supersonic flight. I'm unaware of any benefit at all for subsonic flight.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Right - "area rule" is great for transonic and supersonic flight. I'm unaware of any benefit at all for subsonic flight.

You don't think wingsuits can go supersonic? Have some vision!

After all, with the leg wing the way it is one could argue we already have the all flying tailplane worked out:P (Another english invention no matter what Chuck Yeager says:D)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

One serious question I had...(imagine!)

I know lift is greatly debated, but how much performance comes from the actual surface generating lift?

I used to think it was most of the flying performance was derived from the lift the sui/wings gave us, but with the single layered tony suit supposedly performing close to what people are getting on 'mid-end-performance' suits, and the newer bigger suits also supposedly performing better.
There still isnt any real data to back up those claims, but with more and more people flying those suits, we'll hopefully have some more on that soon..

But in your oppinion, is most performance to be gained in wing shape/design and reduction of drag (its what I thought, and you judging your posts as well) or does it all boil down to 'who can stitck the most fabric onto a person and still have him survive'?

Id be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this...

(see, no pony!)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

is most performance to be gained in wing shape/design and reduction of drag (its what I thought, and you judging your posts as well) or does it all boil down to 'who can stitck the most fabric onto a person and still have him survive'?

I think body & rig dumpen the performance of the wings to a great extent (for example, you made wings with new profile and expect 30% greater L/D... but body with its L/D ~ 1 dumpens the increase to a mere 10%), so the most performance gain will result from eliminating the drag from body as much as possible by putting the body ("fuselage") inline with the flow, just like in any airplane/bird.

I don't believe squirrel-like suits (Sugarglider, etc) with huge wings have better performance than airplane-like suits (Vampire, S-3). If they were, we would have seen the real data already. ;)

Pony? what pony? Looks like I missed all the fun. ;)

But in your oppinion, is most performance to be gained in wing shape/design and reduction of drag (its what I thought, and you judging your posts as well) or does it all boil down to 'who can stitck the most fabric onto a person and still have him survive'?

Check out the VKB speed suits (I'm sure you've seen the threads). They're moving in the opposite direction from many wingsuits (smaller, lower drag, slicker surfaces). The idea was to get faster flights, but I bet they're getting enough lift that the glide ratios are getting pretty close.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Check out the VKB speed suits (I'm sure you've seen the threads). They're moving in the opposite direction from many wingsuits (smaller, lower drag, slicker surfaces). The idea was to get faster flights, but I bet they're getting enough lift that the glide ratios are getting pretty close.

Yes, the data from the G3 flight shows (acceleration corrected) L/D = 1.6, with potential for 1.8 according to windtunnel data with a different pitch angle.

It would be interesting to see the windtunnel data for Vampire or S-3 for comparison.

Lokky_luke? ;)

It would be interesting to see the windtunnel data for Vampire or S-3 for comparison.

Robert was flying with them this past summer. I bet we can get a quick "from the field" summary from several different people to let us know if it's "close" or "not even close" at any rate.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com