IslandGuy

Flock ‘n Dock 3.0 Z-Hills Mar30-Apr1

Todays loads have been crazy again ...

I have managed to do

Load 1 20 Way "warm-up"

Load 2 20 Way Flock

Load 3 10 Way "technical" Flock

Load 4 Solo - wind down - 67 mph average in a phantom - not bad for someone that's 210lbs out the door !!!!

Load 5 - 48 Way (3 Otter loads) Flock Caw - Caw

Load 6 - Another 48 way - we did it all over again ...

This has been a great event so far - and there's still tomorrow to go !!! - Also purple mike did his 1000th wing suit jump and got pied / feathered / egged / bird seeded and a whole lot more !!!! Caw - Caw :)
You Have got to be here for the next one !!!!

Rub it in now!

They must have posted old Satelite photo's and forcast, It was great weater.

I ended up training 3 first jumps students and getting in a solo and 3 way flock, life is good.

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly

anyone fly, or see how the rigor mortis flew?

This info will come out at its own pace. Last year people got previews of the V2 but since PF had not officially released the suit....information was not available until a bit later.

I am sure we will see a few pics when people finally sort out their stuff.

Kris.

O.k, since you cannot receive a PM, I am curious how the arm wings were designed. The designer talked about a better aspect ratio...there is only one way to do that. Straight arm wings...that creates a problem and I can't figure out the solution to that.

Kris.

I'll have to get back to you on that; so far don't know. What I do know is many people demo'ed the PF flocking prototype and it's amazing.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Many pictures, video, and more words coming soon...

But for now I'd like to clarify one thing, for those waiting in eager anticipation.

The winner of the distance challenge was Jeff Nebelkopf (Heffro) in his Mach 1. It was close between him and Robi in Super-V2+, but Jeff managed to take the win by a small margin.

Congrats Jeff. I believe his flight time on first competition jump, verified by Neptune, pull at 3k feet, was ~205 seconds. It was a bit shorter on the second jump, IIRC. I think he flew around 3.5 miles (with a slight tailwind) which is an average G.R. of ~1.75 (with respect to groundspeed, not airspeed, so actual G.R. was a bit less probably).

Ted from Texas and Tarot (sp?) from somewhere in Europe were close behind, also in the final 4.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

But for now I'd like to clarify one thing, for those waiting in eager anticipation.

The winner of the distance challenge was Jeff Nebelkopf (Heffro) in his Mach 1. It was close between him and Robi in Super-V2+, but Jeff managed to take the win by a small margin.

Congrats Jeff. I believe his flight time on first competition jump, verified by Neptune, pull at 3k feet, was ~205 seconds. It was a bit shorter on the second jump, IIRC. I think he flew around 3.5 miles (with a slight tailwind) which is an average G.R. of ~1.75 (with respect to groundspeed, not airspeed, so actual G.R. was a bit less probably).

This seems to be an attempt at April fools humor but...if it is true.

Congrats Jeff!!

I.75 in a tailwind and a straight line flight is rather low. Which Robi are you talking about? Robi of Morpheus?

Kris.

Matts post date: Apr 2, 2007, 6:10 AM

Bit late for April's fools.

Congrats Jeff :)

Well it say's April 1, 2007, 4:10 PM based on my settings. So, had to acknowlwdge that possibility.
Also 3.5 miles is a bit on the lower side for a big suit.

Awaiting a full report.

Kris.

Ahh yes, but April fools isn't valid after midday ;)

Well, O.k :$.

Would be interesting to know the details of the competition. Was this an open for all or was it just Robi and Jeff? Rules...like exit altitude and opening altitude. etc.

And to see pics of the new suits.

Kris.

What an amazing time this weekend. I will post many more details later, and Matt and I are working on an article that will appear in Parachutist.

48 ways, 20 way warm up dives, stacks ... I'm still tired but I'm still smiling. And everyone headed home in one piece.

The "distance challenge" had 14 particpants that were winnowed down to 4 for the second round. They had a fairly strong headwind with a little push from the left. It was very close at the end between Robi and Jeff, with Jeff pulling ahead at the end. Endurance is a real factor on these dives. Particpants exited 4 miles downwind of the peas. Jeff's winning flight took him 3 ground miles in 176 seconds. While somewhat short of the expected 7 - 1 glide ratio it was still enough for the win. :)
As a side note, Lurch achieved a 245 second flight on a 23,000 high altitude jump while he orbited the DZ. For you math-challenge folks that's 4 minutes 5 seconds. While his 2000' pack opening altitude pushed the limits, he was still legal. DAMN!

Let's also mention that the photographers got some shots I've never seen before. You will be blown away when you see.

I feel very fortunate to be a small part of the wingsuit community, the only community in skydiving that seems to be growing. I watched the freefall big-way struggle for days ... long faces ... reorganizing ... bridle burns on jumpsuits. We had a lot of fun doing what we did and we did it safely. We ROCK!

Congrats to our buddy Purple Mike on his 1,000 WS jump and to Jeff on his distance challenge win.

(I know it's not a new suit but), after years of trying to find an available S-Fly Expert, I finally fllew one, and I have to say, It was all that I expected, let's just say, it's now my second favorite suit (the Acro is still my favorite by far). The Expert is very good for aerobatics and I was impressed with its glide characteristics. I did some acrobatics until about 8,500 where I spotted "the infamous puffy" beckoning like a mermaid or something. That is when I noticed how that thing can glide. I can't say what my fall rate was because my Neptune read "deployed at 8,500". I wish I knew how this suit flew before the distance challenge. I would have entered it (just for fun though, I'm not a "glide ratio geek").

I also flew the Volturious prototype. It flies very fast as well. I was too far from the spot so I had to limit my acrobatics to really basic stuff and straight flight (yawn). I gave Nick some imput and told me he would send me a prototype with some changes for my to test it.

I still need to try the aerobat.

There is another acrobatic wingsuit that I will fly soon and I will let you guys know my opinion on that one as well.

I will post my second acrobatic wingsuit review soon after I put all these guys through "acrobatic hell".

Speaking of acrobatic hell, Ted, you freaking rock! That jump we made was the most fun jump I've had all weekend. You impressed the crap out of me. Voodoo, Ted told me you fly as well as he does. YOU SUCK for not being here :)
I saw some old buddys there and met a lot of new ones it was very nice to meet and fly with you. Some I didn't get to fly with sorry, we'll fly next time :)
Cheers!

WINGSUIT ACROBATICS team O zone
ZF#5 , HISPA#70
Blue Skies...
...Big Fat Clouds

The first round of the distance challenge was a toss-up between Robi and Tero (that's how you spell it; he's from Finland), with Jeff and Theo rounding out the top four. Both Robi and Tero flew all the way from County road 54, all the way over the entire airport, and over Chancey Road where it turns East/West. Tero did that in 165 seconds. Jeff went 201 seconds on the same jump but only made it just past the pea pit. On the second jump Robi exited last and went zipping past everyone before he got tired and eventually pulled. Jeff, in "tortoise mode" changed his flight mode after being initially passed by the RobiBird and ended up flying over his head right after Robi pulled. It was truly a physically draining event. The event was into the wind as well, not with a tailwind as Matt posted. Round two was dropped a mile farther north (over Pretty Pond Road) than the first round to ensure that the leaders opened over the airport and help with judging. Two people who tagged along landed off (short, obviously) on that round, but the four top guys still made it halfway down the runway before pulling.

Since someone asked about EG stuff: Nick Rugai had three EG suits here and lots of people jumped them. The arm wing on the Volturius is shaped just like a Tony Aerobat. Venting is different and the cutaway is along the leading edge, just like on an S-Fly, but with the release tabs at the cuffs instead of at the center. The legwing stance is very wide on both of his suits. The leading edge of the armwings are stiffened with two layers of foam and then covered in ParaPack. Actually, the entire suit is made of parapack, just like all of Tony's. Difference is, every surface that touches your body is lined with some cotton blend fabric for comfort. The Rigor Mortis has armwings about like a Tony Raptor or an S3. I expected something much bigger, but this suit looks good for flocking. Lots of people jumped it and flew it yesterday. The most noticeable thing about the Rigor Mortis is the butt deflector. It's formed to be very thick at the top to mate up to the bottom of your rig aerodynamically. It is not back vented at all. The Volturius is backvented.

Robi had two "Charlie Browns" here. His first prototype which he was constantly cutting holes into to try new inflation techniques, and a second near-production one that Rob Jones was flying. Lots of people (who were slightly taller than me) got to fly it and said it had tremendous pop. I did not see anyone pooping in it though.:ph34r:

There were three Blades here as well. Everyone who I let jump mine really liked it. Joni was flying hers some and Ed had a demo that he offered to a couple of people. It must be mentioned that Tero was jumping an S3S on his runs in the distance challenge and he looked to be tied with Robi (in a Super V2+) on the first round.

The only suits that I did NOT see being jumped here were Matters (any model) and the S-Fly Access. I saw every other model of every brand available on the DZ and in the air though.

I am smoked. It was a fantastic weekend. It's Monday now. People are still here and I have to go outside to organize again right now. See ya!

Chuck

hi,
It was nice event. I am especially happy because among few big flocks, few technical flocks and a distance event was included too.
The interest for distance was higher than I expected and that is really good. In order to eliminate the fear factor Robi Jones and I went up to make distance check and wind condition check, jumping the flight pattern which was later repeated in the first round and modified in the second round.

None of my three jumps were into the wind nor down wind. There was a side wind or no wind during the flights.

Interesting is data I got from the third jump.
GR of last round is about 1.48 (3261 m high, 4827 m distance)
Agree w Scott that endurance factor was the cause of having quite sloppy GR.
However, That is the start. There are many ideas how to run this event next year . Shortening the altitude and keeping the whole distance competition over the DZ area will probably make all judging and organization much easier . Also, I guess this way it will encourage even more jumpers to go for the competition.

Thank you for attending the Z-flock& dock and Congratulations Jeff .
I am going to jump now

;)
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com