IslandGuy

Flock ‘n Dock 3.0 Z-Hills Mar30-Apr1

The unfortunate incident at Dublin should highlight the need for everyone to increase their awareness levels, especially for an event like Flock and Dock. We've also seen wingsuit flight videos recently of some very near collisions that would surely have been fatal.

There will be a lot of bodies in the air, in freefall and under canopy ... almost certainly more than you're used to. Remember that the dive starts when you walk out to the loading area and ends when you drop your gear in the packing tent.

Staying alive means a few things:
* be aware of your surroundings, don't zoom your attention in only on where you are aimed
* be careful. Don't try to beat everyone to the formation ... no-one cares that you are first! follow the folks ahead of you and arrive right behind them.
* no zooming around! Closing speeds can be enormous and unsurvivable! Do not zoom across the line of flight or across the formation.
* Keep Your Head on a Swivel! Look around all the time!
* No sudden moves .. especially at break-off! Don't suddenly turn, dive or pop. It's almost certain that's someone is there waiting for you to run into them. Make your moves gentle and look where you are going.
* I'm not going to say "no swooping" but I don't see it being compatible with all the other potential targets in the air. When you're focused on your altitude, entry point and turn angles are you *really* aware of traffic? Think how bad you'll feel if you kill someone and you survive to look their kids in the eye.

That's the end to my preaching. No-one has gotten hurt at any of the previous events and I'm sure we can do that again with a little effort.

You other old farts chime in here and let the younger folks know how it can turn bad real quick unless you stay aware.

Scott

Well said Scott. The near collision at Skydive Sebastian a few weeks ago could have resulted in a triple fatality. I've watched a canopy collision in Thailand that resulted in a double fatality after a mass exit from a C-130. We've been safe for the past two Flock n Docks (as well as 1.5 and 2.5), so I'm sure that we will do it again.

Purple Mike

P.S. I will be there in two days!

Is there gonna be high altitude? Tell me theres gonna be high altitude. I LIKE high altitude.

Hey Lurch,
We were jumping yesterday (started late but still got 7 flocks in :)
The extent that we'll be able to use that set-up for a high altitude flocking load, I'm not sure, but certainly one of us will check. When it comes to this kind of thing, there generally isn't anything that can't be overcome by throwing money at it.

The bad news is that at this time the Casa will NOT be showing up. [:/] Sorry for the false expectations - I'm as disappointed as everyone else. Oh well, we've still got Otters out the butt - not bad.

-Mike
Play like your life depends on it.

I thought one CASA was already there? Or did it already go bye-bye? I don't spend much time in other forumns but I thought I read in the RW forum that one CASA was at Z-Hills for the 200 way....

Lurch, given that you haven't flown much this winter you should consider anything above 5,000 high altitude! ;)

I don't know where Grey Mike got the idea that one was actually showing up yesterday, because I knew a week ago that there were to be none.

There might very well be the possibility of a high(er) altitude jump, but you better be here before Saturday. The last day of the bigway event is Saturday. You could have gotten 17k a bunch of times today if you got on trail planes.

Chuck

Yeah but you know me, I'm a lo-speed junkie and just ITCHIN to see if I can break the 4-minute mark. Came close last year, real close, but close only counts for horseshoes, hand grenades and tactical nuclear weapons. If I have to bribe a pilot with a bottle of something expensive and imported to get 25,000, I'll do it, so long as the pilot don't crack the bottle till AFTER I get out the door. If the pilot can finish it by the time they land, I'll give em another. If they can finish it before -I- land, I'll give em two more. Mental note: This time, bring gloves and warm fuzzy clothes. Its COLD up there.
Justin and I will be on our way in 12 hours. Ca-CAW!
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Well said Scott --- I was at Dublin and was one of the first responders. The accident was absolutely avoidable.

Those that have not read the thread on the incident, I encourage you to do so.

When we have so many canopies in the air, there is little to no room for swooping.

I, like I hope most, are going to be a Flock n Dock to focus of our wingsuit skills, not how fast or long we can swoop. There's a time and place for that.

Let's make sure we all safely make it to Flock n Dock 3.5 and 4.0
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

I'm over on the East coast, Palm City, and am gonna head over to Z-hills in the next couple days. If I head out there tomorrow or Wednesday, will I be kept busy? I don't wanna drive 3 hours out there and be sitting around :-/ Also, is there a beach nearby or anything else sweet to do when I'm not jumping? Went to Sebestian today for a couple quick jumps. Florida is warm! And openings are soft! Colorado sucks compared to here...

Also, how many people are camping out at Z-Hills? I don't wanna be the only guy in a tent in the middle of a huge field...

Looking forward to coming out. I have a bright orange rig, say hi so I can make friends.

Ok, I'm not sure if thats encouraging or vaguely discouraging, but I'm bringing fuzzy stuff anyway. Doesn't weigh much. If it happens, it happens. If not, so be it. Its not like there won't be a double dozen other awesome forms of flying going on. Rumor has it theres a mach 1 tail flappage dispute of some kind going on and I've been nominated by a couple friends to help resolve it. If half what I hear about that suit is accurate you could tie a string to my chest strap in light winds and fly me like a kite. Preferably over the swoop pond. My curiosity is piqued. I gotta try one. Do I get any extra credit for using a word like "piqued" in a sentence?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I don't know where Grey Mike got the idea that one was actually showing up yesterday,

I called the Z-Hills office and they told me so. Last I heard was that there was still a possibility it would show up, so that's why I even inquired.

Excellent Scott - all those things need to be said and said again for as long as we keep seeing the videos and hearing the stories. I’ll preach some since I’ve been invited, I’m and old fart and I’ve taken enough crippling hits to know that I don’t want to take any more.

In every instance I can recall, two factors have contributed to near death experiences or people getting hurt.
1. Uncontrolled flight. That is, someone inadvertently flies into burble and tumbles, or looses control (like flying too slow and stalling, spinning, overcorrecting, bad body position out the door, etc.), or is hit and taken out by someone on exit or in the formation.
3. Pilot Error. Misjudging distances, closing velocities, and personal abilities.

Do what Scott said and you will go a long way in avoiding uncontrolled flight and use your most cautious judgement to avoid pilot errors. Don’t fly into another bird and don’t fly into their burble.

Why the heightened attention to safety?? Most of us flock all the time – no problems. The reason is simply the heightened level of risk.

The two important differences affecting risk between big flocks and little flocks are:
1. More birds = WAY MORE chances of complications. Statistically, the chance of something going wrong increases geometrically with the number of birds. Twenty birds in a flock have almost 20x the opportunities for interaction (bad things to happening) than a flock of five. The sky will be filled with bodies – you do the math.
2. When there is a burble/tumble/collision incident, in a small flock, usually only two birds are involved. In a big flock, it can turn into a train wreck in a heartbeat.

We all go to F&D to return home with awesome memories. Being as safe as you can will help make that possible – it’s fun but it isn’t worth dying for. Watch out for and take care of your fellow bird, help your fellow bird. We make this all happen together.

I'm over on the East coast, Palm City, and am gonna head over to Z-hills in the next couple days. If I head out there tomorrow or Wednesday, will I be kept busy? I don't wanna drive 3 hours out there and be sitting around :-/ Also, is there a beach nearby or anything else sweet to do when I'm not jumping? Went to Sebestian today for a couple quick jumps. Florida is warm! And openings are soft! Colorado sucks compared to here...

Also, how many people are camping out at Z-Hills? I don't wanna be the only guy in a tent in the middle of a huge field...

Looking forward to coming out. I have a bright orange rig, say hi so I can make friends.

Any responses^?

ALL:

I made five jumps this weekend in the freezing northeast from a Cessna 182 at CPI and a Porter at the Ranch. There was snow on the ground as well as a little at altitude. We only got 9000 feet from the Cessna. One student was brave enough to make his first flight in the cold, but he grew up in Siberia. Yuri base was the only other bird with me, so I made a lot of solos :) I am ready for the warm weather!

Here is the plan:

Thursday 7 jumps
Friday 7 jumps
Saturday Wingsuit #1000 will be jump #4!

See you soon,

Purple Mike

If I head out there tomorrow or Wednesday, will I be kept busy?

I'll probably be out there Wednesday on. There will be folks out there all week.

Reading the forum, it seems that quite a few will be arriving the same time you show up. I'll bet Chuck, Jeff, Eric, Larry, James, Craig, Tero, and Sato are in a flock right now.

How many folks are you flocking with at Sebastion?? Bring them with you.

Camping?? You will not be alone. There are lots of tents up right now... campers and motor homes all over the place. There should be a place you can squezze into. :)

Mike's right, you will not be alone. There will be a bunch of jumpers out there and as many as a dozen wingsuiters.

It's the middle of the spring season and there's a boogie in progress. Being alone isn't the issue, making your way to the bar will be.

Scott