LouDiamond

Bigway Skills camp

I'll be running a Skills camp for those who are interested in improving their overall skills and are also looking to develop flying skills specific to larger formations such as the AN-72 Wingsuit Boogie to be held in Cochstedt Germany again in 2007. Details about the Skills camp can be found HERE and the registration form can be downloaded from HERE

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That is the Holiday boogie thread and an entirely different event. This thread is about the Skills camp in May 2007. Hope to see you at both.:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just a reminder to those planning on coming to this event. You need to be registered with Skydive Arizona before the cut off date in order to get the discounted skills camp ticket price. For details and registration see the link in the initial post above.

I will be bringing several extra suits for those people who have already contacted me. If you need to borrow a suit let me know in advance and I will attempt to hook you up.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey Lou D, It will be all good to fly with you again, count another 3 + me to the learning party !
SGray- Rest assured that no matter what your experience level is,your learning curve will exponentially increase and you will do it safely. The party alone is worth it not to mention Lou D's one on one coaching is second to none ;)
Blue skies and see you there,,,

Scott - How large do you expect the bigways to get at the camp?

That depends on how many people attend, I don't have a precise count at this point. However, the focus of the skills camp is to help people develop skills needed for bigways that they may attend in the future, such as the AN-72 boogie in Germany.

The format of the camp is set up so that everyone has one on one instruction as well as the opportunity to fly with others on flights designed to challenge everyone involved. For some, their focus may not be on the bigway skills but on other skills such as acrobatics or backflying for example. When individuals are doing one on one instruction they will have the opportunity to work on whatever skill they wish to improve upon. The jumping will also include just about every possible type of jump run out of a tailgate or side door aircraft (crosswind, downwind, High speed passes and possibly High altitude if there is enough interest). All of this will build around the fundamentals of how to do these things safely while actually teaching people the "hows and whys" so that once they leave the camp they can do it safely at their home DZs with other wingsuits. The whole intent of the camp is to share the knowledge and improve on ones skills, all while having a fun time. I hope to see you there. :)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If you are attending the camp,please bring all gear with you and be prepared to fly at 8 am on the 10th. Make sure you have a reserve that will be in date throughout the camp as well as all of your USPA/BPA documentation.

We will meet in the main hanger at the SDA BirdMan School. For all those that did RSVP already but are getting in the night before the camp, I will wait for you if you are running a bit behind at the gear check in. All others be sure you let me know you're present and then get your gear check at manifest so I know to wait for you too. See everyone in a few days :)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hope you all have a great time! I wanted to attend but I could only swing 1 event this month so Lodi it is! I hope you get a great turn out Scott and look forward to flocking with you in the future!

Thanks
Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I will be arriving about 2 PM on the 9th. Any body up for some small way flocking the day before the camp?
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

I can't get there until Thursday night.

Can I still join in on Friday morning?

Most definitely. There are a few others who are also coming after the 10th to the camp. Manifest opens at 7am so you have an hour to get signed in before we meet up for the days flying. See ya there:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Manifest opens at 7:45 AM

I stand corrected. We will shift 45 minutes to the right. Everyone meet in the main hanger at 8:45 am.:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

How many people registered?

Last count, 20 with a few people showing up later into the camp.There are a few locals who said they were attending that haven't registered yet so it may be a few more.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The last 2 days have been fantastic. People have been showing up all day long. We managed to get 5 solid jumps in on day one as many people had to check in at manifest on the first day. We stopped after 5 jumps only because people wanted to stop for the day as it has been in the upper 90s to 100s. Today was even better as we were able to get an early start. 5 more people showed on day 2 and we managed to knock 7 jumps out even though some called it a day after #6. The only reason we stopped after #7 today was because everyone agreed that we still have 2 more days to go.

We have a complete mix of suits here. All the names are present. Tony(nsemenator) showed up with his brand new Rigor Mortis and got some flights in. He had some problems with the zippers on his suit coming off as we put it on his rig for the first time. The other zipper eventually came off while we were in the aircraft but he managed to get it back on so he made the flock. It's amazing what you can do with a stapler. Luckily he was able to super tack the end of the zippers himself and he stopped having issues with them. I think he lost about 5-10 pounds today due to all the heavy fabric but he is getting the hang of the suit and getting in tighter on the formations.

Overall, there is a large range of abilitys here, from having just finished the FFC to several hundred wingsuit flights. People have been put into some challenging positions that they aren't used to, be it flying base or having to dive to the formation, everyone has been placed just outside of their comfort zone and the progress is showing. We had a crosswind performance dive yesterday that allowed everyone to individually punch it out for max performance. Everyone compared neptune data afterwards and many were surprised to see how much they had improved.

We also did a few downwind jump runs that allowed everyone to get out and fly straight back with no turns to the dz. It was a fairly brisk pace and the flock did quite well given the clean shot straight back at the DZ.

More people are scheduled to arrive tomorrow so the flock is still growing and I am sure tomorrow will bring another hot, albeit great day of flocking. We are not sucking:)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sounds like a great time, Scott. Can't wait to hear more about how this event went.

By the way, how's my suit holding up? ;)

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

The camp was definitely not sucking.

Big thanks to Scott and Ash for putting on the camp. It was a great learning experience, very challenging but very fun. Good camaraderie, good flocks, good times.

Thanks to all the flockers who made this camp a highlight for me.

Flock yeah!

BTW, I just checked Google Earth and it looks like we got almost 4 miles on Saturday's cross-country flight. Not too shabby!
Brian Drake

Have to agree. Good flocks, fun exits and new skills gained. Met some new birds that are not too far away.

We did have one major injury. Not to a bird, but a camera helmet was lost on deployment. It was found and the only thing that survived was the CF card.B|

Put my tinkering skills to good use. The valve for the DZ showers sprung a leak on Friday night. No chance to get repair parts. With Rube Goldberg in mind, along with a piece of aluminum plate and some RTV, got them back up and running.

Just like F&D 3.0, creamsicles were served. Hey NSEMN8R, how you feeling?:SB|:ph34r:

Thanks to Scott and Ash for putting on the event.