BlindBrick

Getting my rig setup for a wingsuit

I'm just counting down the days until my Prodigy gets here, and I'm trying to get all the details knocked out.

I was reading the owners manual where it talked about the longer bridle, dynamic corners, and d-bag orientation. Obviously I can't do much about my rig's corners but I was curious about the other stuff.

The manual was kind of ambivalent, so I was wanting to get opinions from here. My current setup is configured so that I can comfortably deploy at speeds around 160 mph. It consists of a Mirage RTS(over-engineered G3) with type 8 risers, an over-sized cazer F1-11 kill-line pc, tandem slinks and a 270 sf Safire II with an over-sized slider and custom extra-heavy duty(beyond what would go on a tandem) vectran lineset. I currently pack the rig with the grommet towards the bottom of the container.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

So..

How long is your bridle?
How big is your PC?

The Safire 2 works well for wingsuit. I use a Safire 1, but my SO uses a Safire 2.

Change the way you pack to "grommet-to-pin" as opposed to grommet to the bottom.

Explore the corner mod. You say "Obviously I can't do much about my rig's corners.." Why is this obvious? Judging by your gear, you're a big guy and will be pulling a monster burble. I think get all the help you can.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

So..

How long is your bridle?
How big is your PC?

Explore the corner mod. You say "Obviously I can't do much about my rig's corners.." Why is this obvious? Judging by your gear, you're a big guy and will be pulling a monster burble. I think get all the help you can.

t

Bridle is standard legnth (7 ft? gear's at DZ, I'm not) and the PC's 30 inches.

I said "obviously" because I was told by a Master Rigger that it was an option that was not retrofittable. Please tell me more.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

7 ft is too short for someone of your build, in my opinion, but 30 inches sounds OK to lift the main.

If the corner mod is not retrofittable, then I, and most of the wingsuit pilots I know have done the impossible. It's simply unpicking the stitching down to the bar tack..

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I am flying a safire 2 139 in a jav with a tight tray. at first i was getting some funky openings so i changed to a 9 ft bridle. it made a huge difference. i have had only great openings since. i also pack grommet to pin. since my tray is tight i feel it helps to keep the bag from getting spun(cause the bag is being pulled out at roughly a 45 degree angle.) i highly recommend a longer bridle, 28 or 30 " pc, and pack grommet to pin. Aslo great body position on deployment will probably make the most difference. good luck
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

I currently pack the rig with the grommet towards the bottom of the container.

-Blind

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's odd!!!
Most manufacturers say to pack the bridle grommet towards the reserve container. That is because a lot of containers use partially closed lower corners as staging devices, to ensure that the pilot chute is really pulling before the main d-bag emerges from the container (the bottom flap is sewn to the side walls, then an inch more along the side seam). This makes it very difficult for a pilot chute to pull the bridle grommet end of the bag out of the container.

A few container manufacturers (i.e. Wings) say that some of their rigs may be packed with the bridle grommet near the closing pin.

What you say is correct for a typical belly-to-earth deployment; wingsuits always pull in some form of a track and the bridle is more of a 45 degree angle rather than vertical as with a "normal" deployment. The theory is that the bag can get knocked by the tray and induce twists and that packing it this way helps mitigate this. Personally I have trouble believing all this makes much difference and feel that there is little substitute for good body position at deployment.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Personally I have trouble believing all this makes much difference and feel that there is little substitute for good body position at deployment.

I agree. I think a long bridle is the only mod which makes a difference.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Personally I have trouble believing all this makes much difference and feel that there is little substitute for good body position at deployment.

I agree. I think a long bridle is the only mod which makes a difference.

i've jumped 3 rigs (2 my own) with various wingsuits and have never modified anything nor any issues tho I did have a issue once (PC in tow/stuck in burble) early on with my icon.. the closing loop was probably a little tight, maybe a lazy pitch and the kill line was too long on the PC. all things have been fixed since.

back on track - i agree the longer bridle can help, but so can a larger (non bungee) PC (no too large tho!)

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I am not sure of the exact numbers which define a bridle as "long enough." I know my Icon "standard" bridle is at least as long as my Vector "extended" bridle.

I just agree in theory with the idea that a wingsuit creates a much larger burble than a human body without one, so a longer bridle sounds logical.

The whole rotating bag thing is not that big of an issue in my mind. Even if your bag is rotating 90 degrees or more, that is an entirely different axis than the one it would need to spin on to cause line twists.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

That's odd!!!

It's odd, indeed: the day I switched to packing grommet-to-BOC (~100 jumps ago), the occurrence of linetwists magically decreased from ~10% to zero and stayed at zero ever since. ;)

Also, I had a linedump on one of the flights before the switch. As the bag rotates almost 180 degrees, "scrubbing" the container, it could drag the stowed lines through the excess lines and open the bag.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

the kill line was too long on the PC.

do you mean too short ?

no, it was too long. it's not really related, but it was something that noticed after i had this little problem. I jerry rigged it for a week then I had my rigger shorten it 1" and was perfect.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I know, it is already a subject to replace on next rig maintenance, as well as longer bridle.

If you've already decided to do that, I'd suggest you contact Jumpshack and just ask them for the Birdman D-bag set up. You will get a D bag made for Wingsuiting, the longer bridle and a collapsible PC all in one package.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hehe, it would be probably a good idea, but not on for 12 year old racer elite :) It is my first rig and I dont think I'm going invest much into it. On the other side, there's in plans to order a new one, which will include that option, of course.

Is the longer bridle really important?

I have rigs with and without MODs on them. I have found that those with longer bridles have cleaner deployments than the rigs that have standard bridles as the PC doesn't get caught in the burble. Thats not to say that you cannot use a rig in the standard configuration sucessfully, many do not have mods and have no issues. I look at it this way. If I can increase the chances of having a clean,consistent,worry free openings jump after jump then the mods are worth it.

Opening in full flight is a personal preference. I see no reason to open in full flight outside of the BASE environment. There have been several instances where people wingsuiting(skydiving) have opened in full flight and nearly fallen back through their own lines from the snatch force. It can also be very hard on the body depending on how your canopy opens.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

At least go the longer bridle, it less than the reserve pack job and case of beer for the packer.

I learned the hard way that this is a gear dependent discipline more so than any other. Have a rig dedicated to the discipline if you intend doing it often.

I use a racer (16 yrs old!) with mods for wingsuiting. What I like best is that the main container falls away the moment the pin is pulled, but as a rigger it distresses me that there is no "staging" at all and if I were unstable the bag could/would fall out before it should!

Be careful out there!

---------------------------------------------
If you don't have wings you will never fly