KrisFlyZ

Is Bigger Better?

Nope! Not just bigger But more important "effective" wing area without tons of drag.

For example both the phantom and the acro just about have a range on my older S-3 yet my S-3 has more total area. The reason is that the Acro and phantom have a better distribution of the total lifting area and much more importantly vastly cleaner lines, aerodynamically speaking. Those suits allow the legs to do more of the work than my S-3 does and neither have drag inducing design components like my S-3 has.

I have only seen one person tear it up in a GS-1 ( for example) just about everybody else has to fight the high lift/high induced( and parasitic ) drag and just floats along. Not a problem if this is the designed range but this limits the forward speed available. Could a design offer similar float but fantastic speed? Who knows?

Everyone flies better in the bigger suit than a smaller suit so is bigger better?

For example...I flew better(both fallrate and distance) in a GTI than in a classic and better in an S3 than the GTI.

Kris.

Kris I have to agree with you on this. I know some instructor types will have will some aversion to what I am going to say. We could have told him to do some tracking jumps but we don't operate like that.

This past weekend we were "mentoring" a guy with some wingsuit experience and his own suit. Despite several jumps with in flight hand signals and post flight video de-brief he was struggling and basically fighting his original classic. Really not getting the results he wanted. I told him that with his physique he should excel in a wingsuit .

We put him on an S-3 to give him some extra suit area to "fight" against. He was phenomenal out of the hole. All of his classic 1 idiosyncrasies disappeared and he was not flying this suit in a "wasteful trim" that the classic would allow.

He was ready for an upgrade without ever mastering his classic as we are all taught to do before considering an upgrade. In the past we have had excellent results with first flights in Matter 2s and 3s and lately Acros and Phantoms all with more leg wing area and demand to its attention. Also less reliance on the upper body to fly effectively than the classics and GTIs from years past.

I totally agree. The Phantom arm wing is the perfect example of "larger area is needed but it also needs to be in the right place". Also, the leg muscles thing.

Can there be a suit that falls like the GS-1 but flies forward like the V-2 at the same time? Let's see.

Kris.

Can there be a suit that falls like the GS-1 but flies forward like the V-2 at the same time? Let's see.

Dont be fooled. The GS1/SugarGlider can fly fast as fuck forward with the right person flying it. I have seen it done. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have seen that suit in the sky a ton of times. It's called the Mach1. In my opinion, the thing that really differentiates the two are the legwing. The legwing on the Mach1 simply "works better" in all flight modes and it definitely does not flap at all when you are stretched out. For that matter the legwing on the Mach1, when flown dirty, simply blows down. It's funny, but it does not flap. Both are tremendously large suits.

chuck

The GS1/SugarGlider can fly fast as fuck forward with the right person flying it. I have seen it done. ;)

I will second that, "Rocket"Rod flys his GS1 with absolute authority and can make anyone work to stay with him.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dont be fooled. The GS1/SugarGlider can fly fast as fuck forward with the right person flying it. I have seen it done. ;)

Be safe
Ed

Hey Ed,

Not doubting you...I'd love to see that. Coz my mind is made up(theoritically about wing area distribution for forward speed) about that and it is good once in a while to get a dose of reality.

Chuck...no doubt that huge legwing will make the Mach1 suit faster. I am wondering(again in theory) if the huge arm wings don't come in the way of forward speed. Also the wing inflation inlets add drag to the wing leading edge.

Even with all this that suit will be fast (kinda like a Corvette....it may not be the most efficient 5.7 V8 out there but because of the big engine it does not need to be as efficient.). It just remains to be seen how fast. Can Headcorn U.K get a demo suit next season? There are so many guys at this DZ that Know Tony. Would be nice to try one.

I met Tony at Richmond boogie and went to him with my GTI to see if he could hook up a pouch for a GPS. After that meeting I thought he will make wingsuits someday. :)
Kris.

I have seen that suit in the sky a ton of times. It's called the Mach1.
chuck

New sponsor......?:)

Positively not. I pay for wingsuits these days and I do not own a Tony/Jeff suit, at least not yet. I am actually quite the thorn in Tony's side. :ph34r:He hates it when I pick on him. :P Seriously though, I am just relaying what all of us here see every jumping day since Jeff is on almost every skydive I am on. His suit, while very large, is incredibly fast as well.

Chuck

OMG.... this should prove to be fun... Chuck are you on geritol now?

what about fukidtol?

why do you think he moved down to FL in the first place? (you know, other than to get away from you raeford people). He was moving there to retire and grow old ;). shame, isn't it

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Theoretically, if you use the 45 degree exit technique (the most efficient one) on WS BASE jump, the bigger the better because the distance you cover in the first 5-6s is directly proportional to the effective surface area (this is because at 45 degree AoA, the actual geometry of flying body has little effect on the lift coefficient).

For example, if you can clear a 200ft-wide ledge in Prodigy, and Vampire's effective surface area is (for example) double of Prodigy's, you'll outfly a 400ft ledge in Vampire over the same height.

Put Prodigy, Phantom, and Vampire on top of each other. Phantom is actually not so much larger than Prodigy, while Vampire is significantly larger than Phantom. So while Phantom gives you the convenience of BOC in BASE, Vampire is the way to go, since it starts flying faster...
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio