VectorBoy

Does your dropzone allow wingsuit night jumps?

Just got back from the DZ. They are hosting night jumps, a bunch of them. Double the usual. Looks like a nice gathering. Then I was told " Sorry no wingsuits". I wasn't the only one turned away. Man I'm bummed.

Four years ago this was the position of the former manager,..... no problem I was sure things would progress in the future with the change in both the DZM and my number of night and wingsuit jumps. And I have seen a few wingsuiters on night jumps in the years in between but I was committed to other night jumps. This left me jones'n for a nightsuit.

I didn't ask for a reason because if you understand wingsuit fundamentals/ capability there really isn't one. If they don't have the understanding then the reasons become nebulous and pointless. Besides I wouldn't want someone to tell me how to run my business and I'm not going to tell someone how to run theirs. Lacking my other night jump toys I just bailed.

I know plenty a wingsuiter has done a night jump or two name where!! List the hoops you had to jump through if any and if the current policy still supports suits.

I smell road trip .

It was no different for me than non-suit night jumps. The only tricky part is canopies are much harder to see and rangefind at night, but if you don't do night-buzzing you're fine. Wingsuits have been around for awhile now, so it's pretty sad that people have such a serious lack of understanding still, but that's just the way it goes.

edit: to answer the question, the DZs I jump at don't have a problem with them (hence why I jump there).
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Unless they are flying tandems, a big no-no at night, there won't be any canopys when you get down low. If they pull high, lets say 5, by the time you get to 5 minutes later any sport canopy will be at 3.

There will be more canopy traffic from the fallers of the same group. Solo wingsuiters will have none.

Then I was told " Sorry no wingsuits"....If they don't have the understanding then the reasons become nebulous and pointless.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get a night flight in. Unfortunately there are still some DZs that are lacking in understanding wingsuits and how to integrate them. Night flights is one of several topics I'll be covering in my wing suit seminar at the PIA Symposium in an effort to educate the people who run or manage DZs. Continued education is the only way to overcome these problems and hopefully the information will have a trickle down effect to DZs still behind the times. The more familiar DZSOs,S&Ts and pilots are with wingsuits the better. As wingsuits continue to get more exposure and more people start or continue flying them, DZs behind the power curve will have to learn to adapt them into their operations.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Then I was told " Sorry no wingsuits"....If they don't have the understanding then the reasons become nebulous and pointless.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get a night flight in. Unfortunately there are still some DZs that are lacking in understanding wingsuits and how to integrate them. Night flights is one of several topics I'll be covering in my wing suit seminar at the PIA Symposium in an effort to educate the people who run or manage DZs. Continued education is the only way to overcome these problems and hopefully the information will have a trickle down effect to DZs still behind the times. The more familiar DZSOs,S&Ts and pilots are with wingsuits the better. As wingsuits continue to get more exposure and more people start or continue flying them, DZs behind the power curve will have to learn to adapt them into their operations.

Taking a devil's advocate position here for a moment, I can see that issues of separation on opening when wingsuits are thrown into the mix are a potential problem if the pilot/jumpers haven't been properly briefed with an effective plan.

So what is an effective plan?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Taking a devil's advocate position here for a moment, I can see that issues of separation on opening when wingsuits are thrown into the mix are a potential problem if the pilot/jumpers haven't been properly briefed with an effective plan.

So what is an effective plan?

Taking a devils advocate to your devils advocate, This dropzone would probably have little problem, hosting a night 20 way R-dub record and probably has. You are not going to tell me there are any less separation issues here.

To be fair their night ops are pretty safe. There is a limit to the number of groups per jump run, smaller groups are encouraged, staged deployment altitudes are planned based on group sizes and canopy loadings. I've seen it take four passes to get everybody out. Jump runs are truncated compared to what you may see in the day time to prevent canopys from getting strung out too far. The otter descends slower and further away than it might on day jumps to prevent any interference with canopy traffic and more important the fear factor of turbines in the dark while under canopy for some one who may be new and overwhelmed by night jumps.

It was one of the first DZ to implement a WS op area for day use which you get briefed on apon waivering. Their pilots know where you should be. Since a prior day jump the same day as any planned night jump is required a wingsuit pilot should have a degree of area recognition.

Unless there is some unintentional high opening...

We are approaching ludicrous speed to the nebula, set weapons to stun.

An unintentional opening will be bad on any group jump, day or night. Belly or vertical. This DZ has a very well established Wingsuit operation area. Unless the fast faller can track like a monster those that fall will be in a completely different area than the flyers. That is up until closer to entering the pattern for a landing but hopefully the canopy pilot will have acquired most traffic, either from their group or unplanned from a previous group, that may offer a conflict.

Chances are, and as observed by those lucky enough to get their wingsuit night jump in under the wire previously, there is adequate separation in time between wingsuits and sport canopys. Usually they are the only ones in the air. In the case of a solo, you have the pattern to yourself, often the landing area also.

I personally have not made a night wingsuit jump yet, but Skydive Oregon is fine with them. This year there were two wingsuit pilots doing wingsuit night jump. I would have but felt I was too uncurrent with my canopy to do it since in 6months I only had 12 jumps on it.
Kirk

Skydive Oregon is fine with them. This year there were two wingsuit pilots doing wingsuit night jump. Kirk

I think its a good thing that Joe puts on a suit and flocks with you guys.

Its easier to exclude a discipline if its considered a "fringe" thing and you are not a part of it or haven't experienced it.