gus

Atlitude used up before you're flying properly

One for the GPS BASE boys?

I'm trying to do some rough glide ratio calculations from places where I know (a) the exit altitude (b) my opening altitude and (c) the horizontal distance covered. What's a good estimate for the amount of altitude used up before you're flying 'properly'? Let's say before you're flying at 75% of your final glide. 500 ft?

I'm thinking about this: if a big wall is 4000 ft vertical and 5500 ft horizontal to the landing area and it takes 500 ft to get flying then a 2:1 glide would have you pitching over the landing area at 750 ft. A 2:5:1 would have you pitching at 1300 ft. But I don't know how realistic that 500 ft is.

Thanks!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

What's a good estimate for the amount of altitude used up before you're flying 'properly'?

That altitude is very individual. It depends not only on skill, but on wingloading, too. Wingloading makes a huge difference on when you start to fly.

Since vertical speed during initial 2-3-4 seconds is about the same regardless of weight (it's linearly increasing with time: V=g*t), the horizontal acceleration (and hence, horizontal speed and distance) is inversely proportional to windloading factor. (F ~ surface area; a = F/m ~ (surface area)/m = 1/windloading)

So, for example, if we have two jumpers of the same size and skill, but with difference in weight 50% (140 and 210lbs), the lighter jumper will travel 50% more in the first few seconds.

If you're preparing for a "do it or die" jump using L/D calculations, the only data you can use is your own GPS data from previous flights.

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Hey Gus,

Whatever about the bullshit, and equations and theories, my opinion for what it's worth, it that a decent pilot with a decent exit can get a V2 type suit flying in 400 - 500 feet.

I haven't measured it, it is just a guess based on observations of a few WS exits. I think 500ft is a good ballpark figure to use. I doubt it's dramatically more or less.

-Luke

I feel like I am taking off when I exit. The GPS says(error in the bowl) that my glide for the first 20 secs is almost 5 to 1 (see attached..exit altitude is 1438 m) :D:D.

Anyway, next time I'll jump with the barometric alti GPS and that should sort this problem out.

For me, if the exit is good, there is no perceptible 'fall' so to speak it just takes time to build up speed. Even this is only about 8-10 secs.

Kris.