brokky

Yves Rossy climbing with his jet powered wing

Not sure if this is the right section to post but since there´s no aircraft section in this forum ,the wingsuit flying section was the next best option...
Last thursday ,Yves Rossy did a flight with his wing equiped with 4 jet engines.After a few training jumps with dummy engines (to simulate the weight and drag)he did a few flights with 2 engines.With those he was able to fly level and in formation with the porter.
Then he installed 2 more engines...,started the engines,exited the porter at 11000ft with the wings folded back,deployed the wings and then full throttle....the result :he was flying fast and climbing sometimes reaching 1000ft/min.,and just left the porter behind.
After 5 min. flight he shut down the engines,glided to pull altitude (about 6000ft) and deployed his big parachute.
All I can say is: respect to Yves .He´s been trying for years to get to this stage and this with limited support. Hope he finally finds a big sponsor to go on with his project .
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

YES !!!

Any video ??
Do you know when Yves will be back home ??
Just sent him a congratulations SMS on his mobile...

CHAMPAGNE !!!!!:)

I called him today, he is already at work , flying his ( 2 engine...) Airbus.
I´ve got some video,not really good...due to lack of room in the porter, I was the fireman ,videographer and photographer.I´ll see if i can compress the video in the next days..
wuk??

I´ve got some video,not really good...due to lack of room in the porter, I was the fireman ,videographer and photographer..

I know the job :)
easier to do only photo or video.

was there someone from Jetcat on the plane like "in my days"?? or were you alone with Yves and the pilot ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Awesome! He's always been a relatively unsung hero of human body flight. People can argue all day about pure human flight vs rigid wings vs whatever, but I think that what matters most is the FEELING of flight, not the means to achieve it. Climbing and hitting these speeds with nothing more than some weight on your back has to feel amazing. Great work!

Awesome! He's always been a relatively unsung hero of human body flight. People can argue all day about pure human flight vs rigid wings vs whatever, but I think that what matters most is the FEELING of flight, not the means to achieve it. Climbing and hitting these speeds with nothing more than some weight on your back has to feel amazing. Great work!

Well said!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

but I think that what matters most is the FEELING of flight, not the means to achieve it. Climbing and hitting these speeds with nothing more than some weight on your back has to feel amazing. Great work!

I remember when I went flying with Yves in the Bücker (aerobatics biplane) I loved so much the feeling of the air, flying in a plane, but outside... Just imagine flying in a convertible JET :)
And now I guess he has this incredible perma-smile glued to his face... :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

was there someone from Jetcat on the plane like "in my days"?? or were you alone with Yves and the pilot ?

Roman from Jetcat couldn´t make it so Yves had to start the engines on his own. Skipete flew the plane (as usual).
wuk??

Whoa.
That looks like the most transcendant flight experience imaginable. I wonder what it feels like when he begins to climb... If that was me I'd have been howling my lungs out.
Congratulations, Mr. Rossy. Someday I'll learn to fly like that.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.