Kirils

slink tab & steering line wrap

Recently I have read that steering lines can foul on a slink tab. While the new Aerodyne container has
softlink tab pockets, those of us with other containers can protect against this potential hazard by using gaffers tape to secure the slink.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Tape on webbing is bad juju. It can leave a sticky residue, leading to other problems. Just have your rigger show you how to hand tack them down.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I only heard of this being a hazard when you stow your excess brake line through the link loop in the riser. Further, I haven't had any problems with keeping my link tabs in the riser by simply massaging the slinks after installing them to equalize the size of the two loops (or three, Precision) for the first several jumps, then they settle in quite nicely.

Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I'm pretty sure that there have been problems even for people who do not stow the excess in with the slink tabs. I agree that in MOST cases, once the slink has set the tabs will stay put, but I recommend that you fix it for sure by tacking the tabs.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

You cannot blame the slink, this happened before with rapid links. If you take excess line and store it in the end loop of your riser while your canopy lines and link ( any kind) are not under tension from being suspended under your canopy, you have the risk that the link ( any kind) will act as a vise and clamp anything that is between it and the loop of the riser when it does go under tension.

This is a very bad place to store anything ( of any kind ) unless you want it clamped down or possibly sliced in two.

Loosing altitude awareness is also bad but its got nothing to do with this post.

I agree with Vectorboy, when I went to mini risers so I could pull my slider down, I didn't have anyplace to stow my excess steering line so I just let it hang.
Once in a while the excess line will flip up into the canopy lines on opening and hang up slightly, but it always pulls out easily. I always clear for traffic, stow my slider, pop the brakes and CCC right away while I'm still high.

blues

jerry