SBCmac

S6 vs. V1 or V2

does anyone have any video of the mach 1 flying next to a v1 or v2. just curious to see them performing next to each other

I would would love to at least hear from someone that flies a S6, V1 or V2 that has flown with a Mach 1. Yes, alot of it is the pilot but most everyone has an idea of their skill level and can see when someone just smokes them. According to what is being stated about the Mach 1 it should smoke the best of the best in any suit so I would love any commentary from other pilots that have flown with a Mach 1.
Kirk

does anyone have any video of the mach 1 flying next to a v1 or v2. just curious to see them performing next to each other

A small problem with that is that someone flying relative to another, is always looking at the other person. And thus has to be able to fly slighly better (if the person he is following is maxing out).
As that usualy has you a bit headhigh...to see where you are going, and where the person you are following is going...so you have to be able to stay up with another wingsuiter maxing out, while flying a sub-optimal body-position...(or use 'the force' to guide you:P)

Putting people (or even 1 person...flying a V2/S6/Mach1) out with a GPS and getting hard numbers on glideratios/forward speed/fallrates is probably most trustworthy (in terms of actualy being able to compare...)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

A small problem with that is that someone flying relative to another, is always looking at the other person.

From 1:04-1:10 of the Z-Flock 2.5 video (follow link in my sig) there is a short clip of Jeff and Chuck flying Mach 1 and V(1?) respectively... they are in a stack and both looking down. They're flocking though, and Jeff is obviously flying more dirty than Chuck, which is no surprise... I don't think anyone can contest that a suit with a lot of surface area is going to naturally have a slower fallrate.

There are more shots in that video of the two suits in formation probably, but none that really focus on those suits alone.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I will admit that it's an oversimplification to say that more surface area automatically means lower fall rate. In general, it's true. But balance (area distribution) obviously has a lot to do with it.

I don't have any experience in a Phantom or Vampire, but looking at them, Fido's statement does not seem unbelievable, or like a joke. There does not look to be a drastic amount of difference in surface area between the two suits, and the Phantom does appear more balanced, i.e. suited for floating.

Jeff's suit, however, has a MASSIVE amount of surface area (a drastic increase from Vampire, I'd say) and appears very balanced, so I have no problem believing that it wants to outfloat anything in the sky.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't think it is an over simplification.

Larger suit fall slower. But that's my opinion. Also the Phantom has significantly less area than a V2.

The leg wing on the Phantom starts about 8-10 inches above the floor and is not that much wider than the V2 leg wing, which is flush with the floor or a little bit longer. You know where the biggest area of the wing would be per inch of length removed(the base of the triangle)...by a similar logic....the arm wings are also a significant bit smaller on the Phantom.

Balance depends on body shape also(don't think this matters that much if the pilot can fly the suit in the desired position).. if the pilot not correcting it, longer legs will mean a more headlow balance...equal porportions means a more neutral balance.

Kris.

Jeff's suit, however, has a MASSIVE amount of surface area (a drastic increase from Vampire, I'd say) and appears very balanced, so I have no problem believing that it wants to outfloat anything in the sky.

Numbers numbers numbers! I want cold hard figures and GPS plots about this apparently amazing piece of kit called the Mach 1. Then lets talk about surface areas and drag etc etc.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Hey Chuck...

Listen to all this Science/physics/blah blah blah... ;)

Remember back in the day when you taught me? They were called death suits and we were all going to die...B|

Shakes head. Bird Days are among us.

I wonder if we can get HH to make a birdy icon kinda like the :ph34r:
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

how many jumps did you have on each? i would suspect that most people trying the s3 or v1 would take a little longer to hone in the correct position than the phantom.

(I've flown all 3, and i oddly i thought the bigger suits were easier to hone in on - maybe b/c they can be more sensitive)

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I did get 54 km/h vertical on my third or fourth jump with Phantom (first half of jump). Never got anything like that on S3 or V1.

Don't confuse min sink and max glide, nor try and compare vertical descent rates of suits if glide is what you're after.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I did get 54 km/h vertical on my third or fourth jump with Phantom (first half of jump). Never got anything like that on S3 or V1.

You know that logic does not hold.

I'd say he made more of an observation, than a logical construct. ;) I agree there are many things affecting that observation.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

From my first hand observations with both suits, as well as James telling me so, both suits achieve close to the same fallrate, with obviously better glide in the faster suit.

(edit: in reference to phantom and V2)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I still love my original BM S.U.I.T. (NOTE not classic) I could hold a 55 mph avge.... some cant do that in their mid series suits....:P
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I still love my original BM S.U.I.T. (NOTE not classic) I could hold a 55 mph avge.... some cant do that in their mid series suits....:P

Don't know if you realize he said 54 km/h that is 33.25 mph.

Kris.