SBCmac

S6 vs. V1 or V2

Nobody has data. Everybody has opinions. Everybody is a different pilot. There is no scientific way to measure something with so many different input variables, even with a single pilot configuration.

I can tell you one thing for certain.

All 3 are wingsuits, and are fun to fly. :)
Although I know which is preferred by BASE jumpers, where glide ("performance" as some call it) matters, and I'm sure you do too. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have an S3, and S6, and a V1. I have access to a V2 that fits, but have yet to put a jump on it so I can't say anything about it yet. Perhaps Perry might chime in here as I know for a fact that he has jumped all three suits.

Anyway, I can at least compare the S6 and V1 for you. I fly wingsuits almost exclusively. I have just over 1,100 flights now I have around 30 jumps on my S6 so far and 20 on the V1, switching back and forth regularly just for shits and grins and to see which one really goes better for me. Both suits have wider legwings than the S3 and both suits are faster. The S6 legwing is nearly three inches wider than the S3 and the V1 is two inches wider than my S6. The S6 inflates faster out the door than the V1. The S6 arm wings are much harder to shut down at pull time and the V1 leg wing is much harder to shut down at pull time. I have the same forward speed no matter which of the two suits I jump. I get the same flight time in both suits, but the V1 is much harder on my arms toward the end of the flight. The S6 is a much more suitable suit if you are going to take docks or give hand and arm signals as the wingtips do not flip up if you release the grippers. Both suits are fantastic in my opinion if you are wanting to fly long and hard. Both suits have plenty of range when you are flying in dirty flocks, too. Neither suit exhibits any tail flappage in flocks.

Hope that helps.

You must also take into account that Chuck is old:P:P

but he is probably right

If Chuck were to fly the V2 he would say that the arm wing is harder to shut down than that of the V1 as the new 'i guess you would call ram air arm intake port' is very effective.

My input on the differences is in the materials and workmanship --- IN MY OPINION the PF suits are made better -- this doesn't mean you might not rip a seam or something but when you put it on or closely inspect the V2 it is IN MY OPINION better made.

I personally really like the Acro for all around flying with others ---- I love the V2 when flying with others that also have V1s or V2s (I will throw in the S6 also but nobady local has one)and like to flock with their legs straight out and knees locked (I really only find that kind of flocking within my home DZ)

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

PF has really been killing it with quick deliveries lately, but there was a time when Robi was positively swamped with orders after new product releases. That happens with all the manufacturers and will never change. Ultimately, it's all about how long you are willing to wait to fly exactly what you want. Hell, you never know, you might find that you really like one of the Tony Z-wings or a J-bird. Those guys can have you a suit sewn in like three days if that's what you like. Thankfully, there are enough suits of every manufacture out there now that you can almost always demo before buying. It's a great time to be a wingsuit guy!

Chuck
BMCI-4
Z-flock LOCAL

How would you rate them in term of service? Like delivery time or repair time (if you had some). Customer service in general?

I called PF to see if they could repair my wingtip grippers within a few weeks, in time for a boogie where I'd be organizing. I overnighted my V-1 and they had it repaired and back to me that same week! :)
I've sent other suits to PF for repairs too and the work is always really well done!! Excellent customer service!

I called PF to see if they could repair my wingtip grippers within a few weeks, in time for a boogie where I'd be organizing. I overnighted my V-1 and they had it repaired and back to me that same week!

Did Morpheus Tech take care of that for them in the US? 'Cos if it was shipped to Slovenia and back and repaired in one week then that would have been really impressive!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I called PF to see if they could repair my wingtip grippers within a few weeks, in time for a boogie where I'd be organizing. I overnighted my V-1 and they had it repaired and back to me that same week!

Did Morpheus Tech take care of that for them in the US? 'Cos if it was shipped to Slovenia and back and repaired in one week then that would have been really impressive!

Hahaha, yeah, I meant Morpheus Tech :$

umm. that's BASE tho. the suits are different and are best fitted for different applications. it's much harder to do acrobatics in a v1 or v2, but the LD would be better in a vamp for most jumpers

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Hahaha, yeah, I meant Morpheus Tech :$

Kewl! That sounds like a pretty intelligent way to organise things for you guys over there.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I can now, positively give you my ratings of all the three suits listed. I already own an S3, an S6, and a V1. I, today, traded suits with Scotty Burns (who owns a V2, but generally now flys a Tony Z-Wing Nebula). Anyway, I have just over 1,100 wingsuit flights and have been flying wingsuits since 2000. I really like my new S6 and I really like my V1. I do not on the other hand care much for the V2.

Here's what I, as a very-experienced wingsuit guy, felt. A year ago, I was very happy with my S3. I had never been smoked by anyone in any other suit. At Flock and Dock 2.0 I had several good friends in Vampires smoke my ass horizontally on different techinical flocks. I was fucking pissed. Anyway, when I moved down here to Z-hills I got the opportunity to acquire a perfectly-fitting V1 from Scotty Burns. He had outgrown the suit and had ordered a V2 and a big Tony Z-wing. The Vampire fit me perfectly and flys fantastically. Faster by a wide margin than my S3, with as much lift. I asked my primary wingsuit sponsor (BirdMan) for a much faster suit and was offered the new S6. I was very skeptical that the new suit would be substantially better than my old S3, but I have to tell you that I was totally surprised. I got the S6 about two weeks after I got the Vampire. I really liked the Vampire, but I immediately found that I had WAY more range in the new S6. I swore it couldn't be possible, but I promise it's true. The S6 is at least as fast as either of the Vampires, but it has MUCH more lift. I could not stay up with a Vampire at all in my S3, but there is nobody I have jumped with who can smoke my ass in either a V1 or a V2.

Here's what we did today: I started out with a jump and tandem swoop in my S6. Scotty was jumping his V2. Scott Bland also wore his V2 after his first reserve ride of the day. I wore both their asses out. On the next jump, we traded suits. I gave it everything I had speed-wise and float-wise, but Scotty was able to match my speed and pop horizontally on me anytime he wanted in the S6. Ultimately I hated the suit. It wore my arms out and it was not able to stay up with the fast-flying flock that was made up of VERY experienced wingsuit guys. It flew fast, but it would not stay up vertically. The V1, on the other hand, has much more usable range than the V2. It's a step back, flocking wise (regardless of speed and efficiency) and that doesn't make sense to me. Scott Bland was very bummed out that he could not get any "usable" range out of his brand-new V2. He's pissed and selling the suit immediately. After getting my fill of the V2 in our environment, I swapped Scotty's V2 for my V1 (Scotty's old suit that he outgrew). I got MUCH more usable range out the the V1. It was also MUCH less work on my arms than the V2 for the same, documented (by Neptune) performance. I jumped the V1 straight away after that last V2 jump, just so I would have a good reference of the felt performance of all three highest-end suits. My rankings are as follows: S6, V1, V2.

More later. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. Scotty Burns will mirror my comments, as will Scott Bland (who owns six suits).

Chuck

Scott Bland was very bummed out that he could not get any "usable" range out of his brand-new V2. He's pissed and selling the suit immediately.
Chuck

Careful Chuck he might stealth into your trailer and steal back his old V-1 or worse your new S-6 and leave you something with webbies.:ph34r:

I would gladly buy a V-2 from an unhappy customer but as my luck misses the boat again I've already purchased the V2. When it comes I plan on putting 50-100 jumps exploring and refining what it takes to fly it through its full range, kinda like the pros do with new canopys .

I've seen new v-2 owners struggle a few weeks after a transition to it and I've seen guys with hundreds of jumps on theirs.... big difference.
After 500 sum odd Old S-3 jumps I'm going to have to be patient and work at it. I'm definitley not expecting instant mega results. The good thing is I will be in good company of a nice little flock all making basically the same transition. And hopfully next year Calvin won't be able to bragg about kicking all of the old guys asses.

. I fly wingsuits almost exclusively. I have just over 1,100 flights now I have around 30 jumps on my S6 so far and 20 on the V1, .

if skymonkey wasnt a moderator, i would be making fun of him for bragging about his jump numbers at least twice in this thread. oh.... wait....

-SPACE-

Fully agree with you there Glen. It's not quite plug n play like on computers. It takes a while to reprogram yourself to what the new suit wants, expect to exercise your patience. After 38 flights on the V2, I'm just now starting to feel that I'm using most of it's flocking potential and some of the top end. So far I haven't found any shortcuts, you just have to put time on the suit and keep working at it, or just get an S6...;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

. I fly wingsuits almost exclusively. I have just over 1,100 flights now I have around 30 jumps on my S6 so far and 20 on the V1, .

if skymonkey wasnt a moderator, i would be making fun of him for bragging about his jump numbers at least twice in this thread. oh.... wait....

Honestly, I read it as him trying to give the reader an honest background to judge his post by (same as stating up front that Birdman is his primary wingsuit sponsor, so that you know where he's coming from).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com