MattKCanada

Downsizing increments - 220 to 190?

I am a new skydiver with about 60 jumps under my belt (B license). I started off on 240s and have moved to a 220 on which I have made 15 jumps. My landings have all been pretty good (standup and relatively close to target) and instructors have all agreed that I am ready to downsize further.

I don't live anywhere near a drop zone and I am planning my next trip to Dubai in about a week. Unfortunately the DZ for experienced jumpers doesn't rent anything bigger than a 190. My question is therefore whether a 30 sq ft downsize is too much? I'd appreciate any advice you can give (which I will, of course, corroborate with instructors when I can get to one). I weigh 175 lbs, so by my calculations the 190 would put me around a 1.05:1 wingloading.

Thanks.

I am a new skydiver with about 60 jumps under my belt (B license). I started off on 240s and have moved to a 220 on which I have made 15 jumps. My landings have all been pretty good (standup and relatively close to target) and instructors have all agreed that I am ready to downsize further.

I don't live anywhere near a drop zone and I am planning my next trip to Dubai in about a week. Unfortunately the DZ for experienced jumpers doesn't rent anything bigger than a 190. My question is therefore whether a 30 sq ft downsize is too much? I'd appreciate any advice you can give (which I will, of course, corroborate with instructors when I can get to one). I weigh 175 lbs, so by my calculations the 190 would put me around a 1.05:1 wingloading.

Thanks.

For what it is worth I didn't notice a difference between a 210 and a 190. I am the same weight as you and both canopies were Sabre 2's. I've jumped a 170 a few times but feel I am not ready for it so I went back up to the 190.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

MattC,

What is the current altitude above sea level of your DZ?

If it is at all above sea level, you should be OK, since Dubai is on sea level. The difference will give you more fogiving flight char.

As for the jump of 30sqf, you should be OK. Check with instructor, get your log book signed that your landings were competent, Also, check that the main/reserve is of same size. (hehe). The main should also be of docile type, or type that you are used not, NOT high perf.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

... Check with instructor, get your log book signed that your landings were competent, Also, check that the main/reserve is of same size. (hehe). The main should also be of docile type, or type that you are used not, NOT high performance.

Good stuff, 'tater. It's a rare treat to see a youngster offering good advice.

Wait a minute....is your profile jump number correct?
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

... Check with instructor, get your log book signed that your landings were competent, Also, check that the main/reserve is of same size. (hehe). The main should also be of docile type, or type that you are used not, NOT high performance.

Good stuff, 'tater. It's a rare treat to see a youngster offering good advice.

Wait a minute....is your profile jump number correct?
:D

HAHAHA pops, mine is just as correct as yours!!!! (The years are actually 18)
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Don't ask here,
only you know how you feel comfortable with the size you are flying.
My experience is this: I'm about 190 lbs exit weight, 3 jumps with Nav 285, 6 with Nav 260, 10 with Nav 240, 3 with Nav 220, 6 with Spectre 230 that flies way different from the Navigator, and as you might know, size doesn't' matter, wing loading matters as long with the specific canopy design, my canopy school instructor told me to put 10 jumps on this Spectre 230 then try the 210 for about 10 jumps. I hope that this will give you an idea of my progrssion.
Only who knows you and know how you fly, can tell you something useful.
For me, there was no difference from 240 to 220 but a HUGE difference from the Nav 220 to the Spectre 230, in a good way.

B|B|B|

The mind is like a parachute: If you don't open it, it doesn't work.

try not to change more than one setting at the time. You either dowsize at your home dropzone or you make few jumps with a bigger canopy at other drop zone and than downsize.

in my experience downsizing from 220 to 190 was no big deal. Downsizing from 190 to 170 is big deal and it´s also from 170 to 150 sqft.

why don´t you rent 220 or 210 at your home dropzone and take it to Dubai?

One point that wasn't given enough emphasis is what type of 190 are you talking about? If it was a sabre 2 I would lean towards no. If it was a Spectre I would lean towards yes. Of course I've never seen you fly a canopy which makes anything I have to say on the matter invalid.

http://www.skydiver.com.au/userfiles/files/Downsizing%20CheckList.pdf

Bill von Novak's checklist for downsizing canopies. If you cna already do all the things in the list comfortably and consistently, then you can probably downsize. And don't forget John LeBlanc's famous words:

"If your sphincter is already tightened up on your final approach and landing, then going to a smaller parachute is NOT actually going to help that situation."

If it is at all above sea level, you should be OK, since Dubai is on sea level. The difference will give you more fogiving flight char.

You also have to factor in temperature and humidity. While Dubi is at sea level... It is also hot and dry. Hot will increase your density altitude.

For example, lets say his home DZ is at 1,000 MSL and the temp is 72*. His Density Altitude will be ~2,367 feet.

So now he goes to Dubi and the DZ is only 10 feet MSL but the temp is 100*. His density altitude there will be ~2,875 feet.

So his canopy will fly faster in Dubi than at his home DZ.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334