VectorBoy

S-3 / S-3s / S-6 ?

Not trying to be a prick, trust me ( this time).

As we can gather from the wingsuit type tread there is a comprehensive amount of confusion about the design variances in the three wingsuits S-3, S-3s and S-6.

Any Bm factory principles or reps out there with the authority to set the forums straight? Pictures wouldn't be a bad Idea either.

Yes it IS a bit confusing. I can explain the changes from S3 to S3S, as I did this upgrade recently. Changes are many, its a totally different suit and it feels very different in flight:

- mylar in all wing ribs
- bigger arm wings with new profile
- bigger deflectors on arm wings
- Wider leg wing
- Neopren material in the back
- High color (warmer at wintertime)
- velcroless cutt handles
- leg zippers different (easier to open)
- bigger rear deflector

Now other people can explain the changes from S3S to S6 (I don't know either)

Yea, not to hijack, but I'd rather hear what you think of your S-Fly Expert, given it's recent performance in the competition arena against newer suits.:)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Well its brand new and I only have about 5 jumps in it, so.. Performance wise I think it is similar to S3 class suits. I hit the same vertical speeds as in my S3S (45mph). It's very different to fly: It is much easier to fly straight out the door. It is so smooth, you will smile if you try it. Currently though I am flying a bit wobly when flying close to someone :D, but I will eventually learn it.

Yea, not to hijack, but I'd rather hear what you think of your S-Fly Expert, given it's recent performance in the competition arena against newer suits.:)

Sorry about the hijack, but I have to chime in here.. I have a couple jumps on an S-Fly Expert and I concur with Birdynamnam, it's a totally different sensation. It is a lot less "heavy" to fly and thus very comfortable and easy going. That said though, in usage it's not so user friendly. Getting in and out of the suit is a real chore compared to the double zipper suits from Bird-Man and Phoenix Fly.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Not trying to be a prick, trust me ( this time).

As we can gather from the wingsuit type tread there is a comprehensive amount of confusion about the design variances in the three wingsuits S-3, S-3s and S-6.

Any Bm factory principles or reps out there with the authority to set the forums straight? Pictures wouldn't be a bad Idea either.

I don't have the authority to say much about S3S - S6 differences, but I have heard of some:
- leading edge and the top skin is of a different material to make the airflow smoother
- cut-aways have been redesigned. They were a real pain on the S3S, getting loose a lot.
- material has been changed in other places as well, to make the suit better fitting and more user friendly.
- various cosmetic changes
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Uh, he wasn't the first to take the tread way off topic.

Although I'm pleased to learn that the S-fly has double zippers now. Something the monosuits desperately needed. That single pic currently happens to be the highlight of this tread IMO,off topic or not, yeah its my tread.

Big step: I have studied both suits and I can see as many changes from the common ancestor on the S3S, as on the V1. The list of changes is big on both and they both fly great. So, what is the big deal here, 980?

Smaller step: If you look at the V2, it looks just like the V1 to my eyes, as the S6 look like the S3S. But there are subtle changes on the V2, I know. We are still a bit confused about the S3S to S6, but someone might shed light on that.

So evolution can come in small steps. It's fine. I.e. Loic's suits have been evolving in many small steps along the way, without him advertising it a bit. I guess all this fuss about the BirdMan suits is due to the confusing naming. Yeah, and so what? What is the big deal, really? As long as the makers push the technology, in a competitive way, so that we all can benefit from still better wingsuits. Competition is a good thing.

I guess all this fuss about the BirdMan suits is due to the confusing naming. Yeah, and so what? What is the big deal, really? As long as the makers push the technology,

I know. We are still a bit confused about the S3S to S6, but someone might shed light on that.

Some of the technological fuss stems from the parody of claims of wind tunnel tests, claims of computer designs, scores of new names and half as many new offerings that didn't show much staying power market wise. And in the end the pushed envelope is still very closely based on the S-3 a late 2002 design. Please don't get hostile towards my answer to the question "why the fuss" I am answering it with the utmost in neutrality. I fly a suit from 2002.

I asked this original question of the differences between the three variances nothing more and not as a segway into that suit is better than this suit.

It would be nice to end the confusion about the S-3 legacy

If you look at the V2, it looks just like the V1 to my eyes, as the S6 look like the S3S. But there are subtle changes on the V2, I know.

There are bigger changes to the V2 than to the S3S/S6 -- you Birdman supporters really want to say its different but nobody has a definite answer or even a picture of the differences not to mention that the BM website doesn't show anything different other than a logo the size of a billboard.

The V2 is not a totally redesigned suit but it is a refined suit and you can see the differences at a glance --- and the differences not only make sense but you can feel the differences.

So somebody like Scott who knows everything should be able to show some pics of the differences and have specs on it too!

I will wait and see

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid