KrisFlyZ

Wing Inflation of a Phantom

The timeline I am referring to is in the video(WsFlights.mpg...no I won't post another link :P).

The pictures posted below all fall between a bit after 4 secs and a little after 8 secs. The arm wings are fully inflated in Phantexit4.jpg(arm is not relaxed at elbow as it is in Phantexit3). This is around 2.5 secs after exit. Leg wing is inflated in about 3.5 secs.

But the legs are bent(my exit technique anyway) and that probably accounts for a slightly longer inflation time.

#2 just flat out is a nice Picture! Who took the pics and what were the settings and what camera and lens? (If you know)

Sorry the camrea guy in me came out while looking at them ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I am assuming you broke this topic off from the other thread with regards to inflation of the wings, their size and the effects of mylar, correct? If this thread has nothing to do with that then please disregard the paragraph below.

I think the focus on wing inflation in order to start flying is skewed. As long as an airfoil shape has air circulating around it at the right angle of attack and creates a low pressure above and a high pressure below the wing it will generate lift. However, in order for a body or wing, even a rigid one, to actual start flying it has to have more speed than its stall speed. Since we are dealing with humans, each body will have a different stall speed depending on ones weight,etc. This means a heavier person will start flying later than a lighter person regardless of how good a flier he is. Wing size and shape will not help your body to fly sooner until you have overcome your bodies stall speed. This has been discussed before and more details can be found here
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You talk about stall speed...want to guess what the stall speed of a suit(lets say a phantom or a FIREBIRD R) would be if the wing inlets were sewn shut when compared to the same suit with the inlets open?

Now you want to revisit the issue of the importance of wing inflation to the onset of 'flight'?

Kris.

want to guess what the stall speed of a suit(lets say a phantom or a FIREBIRD R) would be if the wing inlets were sewn shut when compared to the same suit with the inlets open?

By your question, I take it you didn't read the post I linked to. The point being that you cannot focus on one aspect (inflation) as an overall determining factor as to when one actually begins to fly. Inflation is but one of several factors that comes into play.However, it alone is not a determining factor, you have to have the others as well.

snipet from the linked post:

Inlets:
The size of inlets are designed on the suit so that they ensure quick inflation. As soon the wing has the profile and good angle of attack air will start flow around the wing creating the lift. Also wing which is inflated will make less drag which all void to better glide.
I need to say that the size of the inlet ( mash) needed for quick wing inflation is determent in BM suit by three factors:
a. quick enough inflation ( proper placing )
b. technically easy to make
c. nice design

To ensure inflation you can put ONE hole in size of the cigarette(diameter). Believe me, the wing will inflate fast.
No difference if the inlet is big as on S-3 or has the one hole of cigarette size, once you are out of the plane your wings will work same. ( many of you notice that the butt deflector has small inlet, but the inflation has same speed like the arm and leg wings)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You are reading far too much into the post, wasn't it just a good excuse to post pictures of himself!

Same thing happened last time he made a WS base jump.

;) sorry Kris i couldn't resist, if i had cool pictures of me i'd find an excuse to post them too.

I see you are still doing the same things with your arms as last year, did you try rolling your shoulders so your elbows are down level with your body? I think it will help.

You were asking about flights back to the camping on here a while ago, did you get to try it out?

I read the post and I think the focus of that post was something else. There is no absolutes in the real world. In Aero(phys) 101 (or when people that understand too well try to explain to students one thing at a time) things are taught that way and as you go to more advanced courses....more and more things that were ignored in 101 will be brought up. I read that post in the same way.

Try it for shits and giggles and let us know what happens...I haven't been able to even jump here in the past two weeks. I don't have the means to sew inlets shut on a suit but I will bet a jumpticket that the suit(with shut inlets) will start to 'fly' later.

Kris.

You are reading far too much into the post, wasn't it just a good excuse to post pictures of himself!

Same thing happened last time he made a WS base jump.

;) sorry Kris i couldn't resist, if i had cool pictures of me i'd find an excuse to post them too.

I see you are still doing the same things with your arms as last year, did you try rolling your shoulders so your elbows are down level with your body? I think it will help.

You were asking about flights back to the camping on here a while ago, did you get to try it out?

You are right Luke. I just wanted to post some pics of myself. I already had posted all the videos I had so.........:ph34r::D.

I flew back from Smellveggan and opened over land in the Phantom. I pulled much lower than I would have liked.....10-15sec canopy ride. I gave up on the first 6 tries at about 20 secs because I was afraid of getting wet. And really only made it back once in 13 flights(pulled high enough to fly back under canopy on 11 attempts...) from Smell.

I have not been rolling the shoulders that much...definately something to do on the future flights.

Kris.

I think the focus on wing inflation in order to start flying is skewed.

I disagree. I generally feel a major increase in forward movement (if I'm not too head-low), the moment I feel the fabric lift from my skin.

Edited for typo.

I think the focus on wing inflation in order to start flying is skewed.

I disagree. I generally feel a major increase in forward movement (if I'm not too head-low), the moment I feel the fabric lift from my skin.

Edited for typo.

From my post above: "The point being that you cannot focus on one aspect (inflation) as an overall determining factor as to when one actually begins to fly. Inflation is but one of several factors that comes into play.However, it alone is not a determining factor, you have to have the others as well."
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Right, but saving 1s or 2s that can only come from faster inflation and wing design characteristics can be critical in many cases. Some real envelopes have been pushed with the Phantom lately in terms of jumping big walls with short sheer faces that were once thought impossible to outglide.

I flew back from Smellveggan and opened over land in the Phantom. I pulled much lower than I would have liked.....10-15sec canopy ride.

Kris.

The Germans had taken some pics of this jump. They gave me the pics this year. Thanks Guys :)
I spent a lot of time walking around and marking GPS points this year. Will be posting the details shortly.

Kris.