nathaniel

tonysuit review - eagle (prototype)

I got to jump two of Tonysuits' prototype wingsuits at Summerfest this week.

One was a prototype "Eagle", it was an orange suit with spitfire type armwings and a medium size leg wing. Definitely still a prototype, in discussions Tony mentioned there are a few things they're not finalized on such as how the leg zippers/cutaway system works, liner material for the inside of the suit, etc. But I got the sense that the overall planform of the suit is fairly well congealed. This orange suit is roughly the same planform as the white one you see Tony flying in Matt's video where Tony has handprints on his butt :)
The arm wing planform is unique. The arm wing ends in an integrated glove with fingertips extending out, the arm zipper goes only to the base of the thumb. The wing reminds me of a spitfire, medium width, and adjoining the body around the belly. I could reach my risers comfortably with the wing on, but reach all the way to the toggles would have been a stretch. The intakes were placed on the top of the arm and on the shoulder, and there was one facing backward on the shoulder, though I didn't get a chance to backfly with the suit. There was a narrow gap between the arm wing and the body, and the wing was attached to the body with an RSL-type snap at the end of the wing, around my belly. Very easy to assemble / disassemble.

The leg wing was medium sized, comparable to a Birdman GTi. Except there's a hole at the top where your leg straps go through. The leg intake was placed symmetric front/back on the leg wing gap. Putting on or taking off the suit (with rig attached) meant unthreading the leg strap and passing the leg strap ends through the leg wing gap. It was little awkward at first but I think it would become natural with time. The leg zipper was configured with a hybrid zipper / velco design that I wasn't too keen on it at first impression. I got the sense that this was one of the things still under consideration, so I'll leave it at that.

I put 2 jumps on it, one was with a low timer ws jumper on a classic, around 75-80mph vertical and who was a good point of reference for controllability. The other was a flock probably closer to 65 or 70 mph vertical.

I'm used to flying a palms-down suit (MTR3) and the Eagle was very comfortable for me, allowed a lot of flexibility. The forward drive was reasonable but not all that much to brag about. The arm wing seemed to have a high frequency flutter, >>200hz, that was a bit like one of those portable massager thingies, and continued unless I held my fingers wide, pointed down and palms in. This was a comfortable flying position but a little unfamiliar, no other suit I'm familiar with requires such. Aside from that the arm wing inflated very well, and was very responsive, and didn't result in too much arm pressure.

Access to the hackey was unobstructed--my fingertips extended from the integrated glove and that was all I needed. Overall the range of motion allowed by the suit was rather good.

I'm a rather tall & skinny fellow, but I didn't have any problem keeping down with the low timer or up with the flock. The suit didn't buffet and pop around at high vertical speed like my GTi does--tho I realize this is probably not an issue for average shaped people. I'd speculate that this could be because there's a narrow gap between the arm wing and the body... I'm not sure if this is a permanent design feature tho.

Overall ranking: promising. Very promising, could be a good intermediate or beginner suit, suited probably for acrobatics & general flight, less so for pure range / glide ratio.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Pretty good review, Nathaniel. I concur with your analysis and descriptions. Your experiences in flight were similar to mine at Skyfest. I thought Tony's design was interesting enough to order one for myself. Still waiting for delivery ...

Old Guys Rock!

I don't know what it was called, but Nate and I flew the black with a little white in the hips one Jeff had. I think nate only flew it once, unless he did more on sunday. I got two jumps on it. The wings and flight characteristics were like (maybe better) than a V2. LOTS of range. Big wings. I know scott took pics. I hit 56mph without trying when playing around with the suit.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Yeah, the black & white one, seemed much earlier in the development cycle, I don't think it has a name yet. Only one jump for me on it, Tony challenged me to beat his 47mph record on it. I only got 53, but this was at 12000ft. I was worn out by the end of the jump; it was the end of the day and I'm not used to flying gripper suits.

The arm wings were large and had grippers and went from the wrist/gripper to the knee. The grippers themselves were about 3 or 4 inches long. The leg wing is the biggest I've flown, wider than a MTR3 or a V1, tho it didn't extend past the feet. Arm intakes, iirc, were scoops on the front & back of the shoulder. The leg intake was Tonysuits' hallmark symmetric front/back mesh on the inside of the leg wing gap.

It was floaty, but I was flying it a bit head high to minimize my fall rate. Felt like it tended to oversteer with leg inputs, reminded me a bit of the GS1 in this way. I did feel that this suit would pick up a lot of speed if I nosed it forward.

Jeff mentioned it was a bit of a rush jump to sew it all together for the wffc/summerfest, I expect we'll see more of it over time, perhaps at zflock 2.5...when he flew the suit he seemed to have a very good range of flight....
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

the nebula? Jeff seriously get another name!;):D

yes that is a great suit tho. had lots of fun flying it. Make me a nice looking one and I'll get more women than Voodew in the GS1... oh wait, i already get more women than voodew in a GS1. he's married:P

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

your a dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah I am married and get laid on a regul.......... oh wait thats right I am married ---- I get food cooked for me and the house cleaned on a regular basis:S

But let me tell you my right forearm is wicked toned:)
As for the GS1 thing your gonna have to come up with some wicked color combos to look better than my GS1

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid