notsane

Z-Flock and Dock 2.5

I had to chop this weekend, but I'm still planning to come down on Friday. Hopefully, I can find my gear today, or put something together quick. I've been flying the same Sabre 2 190 for 1200+ jumps, so I'll probably buy/demo a Sabre 2 150 or 170. The good news is that I'm still walking, and I will be able to fly again soon :)

Mike

No beer ... this was my fourth cutaway and with 1280 jumps that is around 1 in 320 or .31%. As for the malfunction, the main opened hard forcing my head against my chest with line twists all the way to the risers. After unlocking my head for the riser twists, I briefly looked up at the twists, started to pull them apart, and then I began to feel the G-forces of the spinning canopy. This also happened last July and it didn't take me long to cut away again. The pull on the main release handle was a hard two handed pull, and my RSL beat me to my reserve handle again. I deployed around 3500 feet, and I was unzipped in the saddle around 2500 feet. I was jumping with Pete Muldoun who saw my main go into a river and free bag land in a far away field. Maybe I'll find them, but I already have a Sabre2 150 on order for the weekend :)

I wanted to preview a couple of things we’ll be doing at Flock and Dock 2.5 this weekend.

For the large flocks we’ll be trying a modified V formation as shown in the Double-Chevron jpeg I’ve attached. I think this formation offers several advantages over both the Single-Chevron and Diamond type formations we’ve done in the past.

The diamond formation is very photogenic, but only if everyone is lined up straight. This is difficult since the flyers further back have to keep their spacing from more than one other person … so their heads are moving all the time, which can make their bodies move as well. On the plus side there are lots of spots to join the flock.

The V or Single-Chevron formation provides awesome visuals, but only provides 2 places for flyers to join the flock. Since you need the more experienced flyers to build the first part of the flock this puts the lesser experienced flyers in the back of the plane trying to catch up. They don’t have much of a shot at getting in.

So I think the Double-Chevron will fix most of these issues. Each person has a single place to point their eyes while in the flock, so movements are minimized. The front chevron is the more experience flyers while the back is the lesser. This arrangement will let us “integrate” the experience levels in the exit order. The lesser experienced flyer just needs to follow the person before them to the flock and then fly directly behind them. This formation could also allow us to have some fun break-offs … the front chevron could slowly accelerate and turn to the left while the rear chevron slowly turned to the right. The visuals from the ground would be stunning.

Those of you who’ve been at earlier Flock and Docks probably know I like stacks, where flyers are stacked vertically one on top of the other. Last year we added “elevators” that stayed with the base until about 8000’ when they floated up to the top of the formation. Last years formation was a little loose. I know we can tighten it up and get some killer video from the top as well as the elevator flyers!

Time and weather permitting we can do some multi-point flocks to let flyers move around some. I know I’d like that!

I’ll be out there first thing Friday morning until late Sunday. There is a launch from Kennedy Space Center late on Sunday that should be fun to watch too!

Scott

BUT more important Mike, were you smiling into a camera?

I can't get to FL for this one but want to say hi and tell you guys to save me a spot in the formation for spring - you have not gotten rid of me!
I finally got the Phantom I won at the last Z-FLock, and Robi did a great job of getting it to fit me which I have been told is not easy with some one "as petite" as I. Unfortunately, weather here has been extra stormy and when it is jumpable my flights have been mostly chasing students. However, that is the good news. Now that I am an instructor, every time I show up at a boogie with wing suits instead of just getting funny looks, I get requests from one or two other DZ's to come to their DZ. I am trying to get to as many as I can before winter (that way they can get hooked and order suits before spring). If this keeps up I might not have to migrate south to find other birds, but I still might show up just for the nice weather and smiling faces - except maybe that purple one that hogs the camera. ( Glad you are OK, Mike.)
Anyway, I did get to chase one of the two guys with more wingsuit flights than me up here last week. He flys an S3 and is real fast, so normally I have problems catching him in my S3. He figured I'd never catch him with the phantom. We were jumping Mike Mullins King Air and I even gave him a bit of a head start, but to both of our surprises I hit a sweet spot in the phantom and shot past him. Now I am probably getting faster chasing all those students, but I also have to say the phantom is real easy to fly, can definitely go fast, and is lots of fun as well. So I am enjoying it!! Thanks to z-Flock, PF and Morpheus! Don't have too much fun without me! See you sometime soon I hope!
And I want a number!! Joni

Nice formations! I wish I could get there - next time.

Assuming that my new gear is ready, I may try to make some jumps on Friday.

It's starting to look like I might not make this one, do I need to send up my rig (with a Hornet 150 + PD 176) with Katee for you to jump?

I suspect she won't be there until Friday night though. [:/]

To Mark:
P.S. It seems like the only BASE that has worked for me so far is "tourist BASE", speaking of which I got my BASE number application in after my "E" in Moab last week, and NO I won't use the Prodigy for quite some time in the BASE environment, don't worry guys!

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

Friday list:

notsane
normiss
birdman mike
mike m

Chuck will get in sometime in the evening. I'll be returning from Sebastian...

NEWSFLASH!!! I just picked up the small prototype "Lady Flyer" to test in the skies this weekend... Look out!!!B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Assuming that my new gear is ready, I may try to make some jumps on Friday.

It's starting to look like I might not make this one, do I need to send up my rig (with a Hornet 150 + PD 176) with Katee for you to jump?

I suspect she won't be there until Friday night though. [:/]

To Mark:
P.S. It seems like the only BASE that has worked for me so far is "tourist BASE", speaking of which I got my BASE number application in after my "E" in Moab last week, and NO I won't use the Prodigy for quite some time in the BASE environment, don't worry guys!

Whaaaaaaaat? You're bailing on Zhills this weekend? :( I'll be happy to take your rig up there for PurpleMike but won't get up there til about 8pm Friday. However I will be at the dz very early Saturday morning since the CRWdogs have circleup at 8am and I know how Mike is an Early Bird;)

that makes two of us in shiny new Tony Suits!
Have you jumped yours yet????
Those things are amazing!!!! I was floored by the performance...needless to say I have changed my mind on them ENTIRELY!!!!
B|
I stopped by Tony Suits to tell Tony THANKS! Gave him big props on everything about the suit...the only complaint I have is that EVERYBODY wants to jump it!!!

I saw yours in production...dig your colors girl!

The one I'm going to hopefully jump tomorrow is just a prototype - I'm not a huge fan of Yellow - especially with Fuscia - but the point was to get a suit made for someone my size and get it circulated at the boogies.

If I like it, I will definitely order one but I'm not sure what I'll do for colors. Flora's is gorgeous!

WE HAVE TO TAKE PICS THIS WEEKEND TO PUT IN THE LADY FLYER THREAD TO EXPLAIN ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS!B|

I'm off to Seb - see ya Friday evening.

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Chuck will get in sometime in the (Friday) evening.

I just got a call from a frantic Chuck Blue, who is driving back to FL as we speak. Included were instructions to beat on his RV "up near the front" (so he can hear) if he is still sleeping tomorrow morning when we start. :D:D

WE HAVE TO TAKE PICS THIS WEEKEND TO PUT IN THE LADY FLYER THREAD TO EXPLAIN ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS!

That I can do. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com