aber_aos

Cleaning a wingsuit (Phoenix-Fly Phantom)

Hi,
after quite a few jumps my phantom is starting to look pretty grubby and I was wondering how best to wash it. My plans were to hand wash it using Woolite, as this seems to be a very gentle detergent. Does anyone think this would damage the suit? Obviously I'm trying to avoid damaging the fabric by using anything unsuitable.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

big ice chest
cold water
woolite

hand wash

empty cooler and repeat until water stops looking nasty

hang to dry occasionally turn the suit upside down to get the water out of the booties/ arm wings.

It will take a long time to dry completely -- leave it hanging for a few days to make sure it is completely dry as to not allow mold or mildew to start to grow

On a side note don't hang it in the sun -- I usually hang it in the back of the garage to keep it out of the sun

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Hmm, that's interesting Jason, I've always just put it in the machine on gentle cycle to wash. But I'll admit I always feel nervous it's going to get snagged on something and torn up. Maybe I'll try your method next time.

I've also just used normal detergent... what's the difference between that and Woolite?

Good way to tell when your suit is fully dry: squeeze near the ends of the cells (where the water usually pools) and feel if it's dry there. If those spots are dry, everything else probably is too.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I used to wash my wingsuits in the machine on hand wash/super delicate, but now that I have a suit with mylar ribs I'm afraid it will take too much of a beating (even tho Robi told me it would be ok in the machine with normal detergent) and use Voodew's method with Woolite in the bathtub. If your suit is light colored you'll want to periodically dump the water out of the booties as it dries, or the black will run up the legs a bit and stain :(

I don't think a suit with mylar will take any more of a beating in a washtub with woolite than it will in a washing machine on gentle cycle. Kim Griffin was the first person ever to put up a post about washing our nasty-ass suits in that manner. And let me tell you, my suit is positively reeking right now!

Chuck

I don't think a suit with mylar will take any more of a beating in a washtub with woolite than it will in a washing machine on gentle cycle.

Hehehe you misread me. I meant I use the tub because I think it will be less damaging on my suit. :P

I've washed them in the washing machine on gentle with regular detergent, but I stand over it the whole time and do not allow the cycle to spin.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

If you choose to throw your suit into the washer its a good idea to put your suit in a mesh bag so it doesn't wrap around the washer spindle. While more time consuming, hand washing is always a safe bet and it allows you to work out any stains you might have gotten from ass surfing your suit.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Instead of woolite. I have it on good authority that you can use victoria secrets fine washable detergent. One of the socal flockers wives washed his summer nasty suit in her victoria's secret fine washable detergent and he gets the freshest look from all of the female tandem passengers.True story.

Cold or warm water (not more than 30 degrees of centigrade) for cleaning the PF suits the is just fine.
The detergent can be normal or light one .
The most important thing is to not to leave the suit to be in the water waiting.
Booties are made from quality black leather which if it is long time in the water like to leek the black color out...
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

big ice chest
cold water
woolite
hand wash
empty cooler and repeat until water stops looking nasty
hang to dry

Fill cooler with Beer and ice.

occasionally turn the suit upside down to get the water out of the booties/ arm wings.

as you're getting another beer.

It will take a long time to dry completely

So be sure to have plenty of beer.

There... that's better.:)
Larry
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock