unclecharlie95

Race between car and wingsuit on UK TV - Top Gear

Nicely done TV/commercial piece. I bet they were not too happy having to give a wrecked vehicle back to Porsche.

:D:D:D

You obviously you haven't seen too much Top Gear, they really don't give a shit.

A couple of weeks ago they crashed an £800k supercar!:S The car companies don't mind 'cos they know a good Top Gear review is worth far more than even a completely written off demo vehicle.

Very cool exposure for wingsuits, kudos to everyone involved:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So how many jumps did they do to make this super cool movie.
I can count min 6 different jumps unless he is wearing multiple cameras and a invisible cameraman.B|B|

1. Exit with James
2. Exit with camera filming backward
3. Camera in the face
4. Camera filming arm and face
5. Smoke jump without James
6. Camera filming back (maybe the same as nr2.)

And i think he is flying 2 different canopies.
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

Nicely done TV/commercial piece. I bet they were not too happy having to give a wrecked vehicle back to Porsche.

:D:D:D

You obviously you haven't seen too much Top Gear, they really don't give a shit.

A couple of weeks ago they crashed an £800k supercar!:S The car companies don't mind 'cos they know a good Top Gear review is worth far more than even a completely written off demo vehicle.

Very cool exposure for wingsuits, kudos to everyone involved:)

Yeah, Koenigsegg took it back, added a spoiler that Top Gear reccommended, and gave it back to them to test again. B|
So far on Top Gear, it's a BASE jump, Wingsuit, and a Swoop. Wonder what's next? Nicely done piece, great exposure for wingsuits, nice one!

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I can count min 6 different jumps unless he is wearing multiple cameras and a invisible cameraman.

Hey James can you give us some light on that? I'm especially curious about the camera they've been using for the mug shots - I get an impression that it was attached right to the nose-piece of the helmet

Hehe yeah it was a good segment to an always excellent tv show. Nice camera work James!

I like how Hammond said "ooh, that sounded expensive" as he threw the car over yet another horrendous bump in the road. Good stuff.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

The first few days we used a Pilatus Porter (flown by Lorenz, awesome pilot :)
We made jumps focusing on wide shots, close up shots, "swoops" and underneath shots. Then Mac made jumps wearing a chin cam, wrist cam and smoke cam.

I didn't keep track of the exact number of jumps we did, somewhere between 20-30. We just kept jumping with the idea that you can never have too much footage :)
Once we had the chopper we performed the race for real and this is the result you see on screen.
BASEstore.it

The first few days we used a Pilatus Porter (flown by Lorenz, awesome pilot :)
We made jumps focusing on wide shots, close up shots, "swoops" and underneath shots. Then Mac made jumps wearing a chin cam, wrist cam and smoke cam.

I didn't keep track of the exact number of jumps we did, somewhere between 20-30. We just kept jumping with the idea that you can never have too much footage :)
Once we had the chopper we performed the race for real and this is the result you see on screen.

Cool, thanks for giving us the details about it. I was wondering what kind of camera you were using when filming Mac. The footage looks pretty nice. Of course the editors at Top Gear have turned their work into an artform so you can never really tell, but the camerawork is just as important of course.

So, is Richard "the Hamster" Hammond as short as he looks on tv? :D

Anyways, for anyone who wants to download and see the whole episode in high quality, fire up your favorite BitTorrent client and load it up with the .torrent file I've attached (mods, I hope this is ok?).

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

great thanks for the details, okay so I know the result was the truth, but I imagine you had to set up a seperate take for the "swoop in front of the car at the finish line" Did that all just happen, or after the win from the wingsuit did you go again to get that swoop shot? If not, nice timing, and cool shot

-arai-

Can someone please post a decent quality clip of the race so that I can download it.

Video streaming is not big in Africa.

That youtube link on the first page worked fine for me...

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I was wondering what kind of camera you were using when filming Mac.

Sony PC 120 (1.5MP)

The footage looks pretty nice.

Yes they are miracle workers, my short edit with the same footage has nowhere near the same effect.

So, is Richard "the Hamster" Hammond as short as he looks on tv? :D

Richard is quite a "normal" size really, it is Clarkson the 2m giant that distorts everything!
BASEstore.it