unclecharlie95

Race between car and wingsuit on UK TV - Top Gear

The race is on! Between a wingsuit and a Porsche Cayenne :)

The BBC have confirmed the schedule:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/index.shtml?service_id=4224&day=sunday

Sunday 28th May 2006 at 8pm (GMT) in their words:

"Richard Hammond travels to Cyprus where he pits the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo S against the RAF's Army freefall parachute display team, and the (big) star in the reasonably priced car is Ewan McGregor. "

The wingsuit pilot is LCpl Mac McAuliffe of the Red Devils (Parachute Regiment and British Army parachute display team)http://www.reddevilsonline.com/team_dy.php?memberid=12

Whilst Richard drove the Porsche along the rally course Mac flew his wingsuit to the finish, opened his canopy and raced down to land at the finish line....

To see who wins... well you'll have to watch :)

GPS was used to position the jump helicopter over the start line and radio was used to synchronise the start/ exit.

Mac was flying the brand new Vampire 2 wingsuit and I went along to do the freefall video.

Tune in Sunday!

Long flights,
J
BASEstore.it

If you are outside the UK maybe something will appear on SkydivingMovies.com afterwards.. ;)

If you are outside the UK and don't get BBC2 (we get it here in the Netherlands) you can get torrent files of recent episodes here.

Top Gear rocks!! Can't wait for next week's episode.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

If you are outside the UK and don't get BBC2 (we get it here in the Netherlands) you can get torrent files of recent episodes here.

Oi! Pay your licence fee you thieving foreigners! :-P

Yeah but will it be finely edited to the pertinent segment of the show conveniently formated in WMV so that the Mac (< OS X) users can't watch it? D'oh!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yeah but will it be finely edited to the pertinent segment of the show conveniently formated in WMV so that the Mac (< OS X) users can't watch it? D'oh!

I am using OSX and have downloaded windows media player (yep, it hurt:D) but it does work really well for those pesky .wmv files:)
You can download it for free here, just select 'media player 9 for mac osx' from the version list.

edited to add clicky
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Oi! Pay your licence fee you thieving foreigners! :-P

How would I go about doing that? Seriously, I paid extra for BBC America until I realized that it was all home renovation and no Doctor Who. I might be willing to cough up the 131.50/year if it meant I could legally download all of the BBC that I wanted.

The Top Gear torrents are MPEG4 in DivX or XviD format, which you can conveniently watch under Mac OS X with the absolutely awesome video players MPlayer or VideoLan Client. They will play almost any video file you throw at them.

Alternatively, if you do get a WMV from SkydivingMovies.com (or elsewhere), get the Flip4Mac plugin for QuickTime (which is what MB38 was talking about I believe), so you can play WMVs in the QuickTime player.

Does VLC not play .wmv on Mac?

Hmmm.... thats interesting. I thought it didn't play the newer WMVs, but now that I try out a couple, it seems to work fine. Dunno if it'll play the newest WMV9 files. I don't really have a way of identifying codecs used in files under Mac (there's no GSpot for Mac that I know of).

Thanks for the heads up. B|

can a Cayenne beat a man dressed as a flying squirrel, who has just jumped out of a police helicopter? And the answer to that question, is sadly, no.

so where is the video now ? :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM