islandboyflyrz

Canopy's for wingsuits !

Spectre, Lotus, or Pilot.

These canopies can even be loaded up a bit and still perform very well. Some would probably say that the pilot even performs better when loaded a bit. All three of these canopies (and probably the Sabre2 as well) will fly straight even in most line twist situations. They also tend to open at a moderate speed that does not hurt you and does not snivel for 1200 feet. They have produced on-heading opening for many wingsuiters on many of their jumps.

EDIT: This post was entered by a friend under my username, and he said to me, "oh, BTW, I posted to DZ.com under your username..." See if I ever walk my dog and leave my friends in my house.

Best: any square or tapered 7cell. Triathlon, Spectre, Synergy, Omega etc.
2nd best: 9 cells like safire 1/2, pilot, sabre 1/2.

You want a canopy that opens normal/soft, on heading and will generally not start diving when in linetwists.

So the 7cells at a low wingloading work best, with the more fun option a higher wingloading or a "normal" 9 cell. Worse canopies are more hp 9cells like Stiletto, Vengeance, Crossfire, and the crossbraced canopies. All these canopies have been jumped by wingsuiters but only do that of you really know that canopy well and have at least a few birdman jumps on a more suitable canopy.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You want a canopy that opens normal/soft, on heading and will generally not start diving when in linetwists.

I'd (personally) steer away from a Sabre1 as they have a tendancy to open hard. I haven't had any dramas with my Sabre2 though. :)

Cheers,
Jason.

I'd (personally) steer away from a Sabre1 as they have a tendancy to open hard. I haven't had any dramas with my Sabre2 though. :)

Not all sabre 1's open hard, I had one with a pocket slider, best birdman canopy ever ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Hornet also works well, it's a lot like the Pilot.

As for hard openings, I've never had hard openings with my wingsuit. In fact I used to have the odd hard opening with my Hornet, but after 150 jumps with it on my wingsuit I've never had a single hard opening no matter how I pack it.

so no stilettos y is that , are openings worse on high wingloadings?

It's just nice to have a canopy that will sit rock solid stable when you have issues with your opening, because you can't immediately reach your risers when you're in a wingsuit. Wingsuits already complicate things so a lot of people don't want a complex canopy.

I've also flown the Fusion and the Nitron from Precision with wing suits with very good results. The fusion is their tapered square similar to the Sabre 2/ Safire 2/ Pilot and the Nitron, although fully elliptical i found remarkable stable. Granted it was a 150 loaded to about 1.3. I had my doubts about this configuration with a suit but Chris Martin recommended it to me and it worked out great!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Well, if your profile is correct and up to date…

326 jumps in one year is pretty damn current for your first year, so even though it’s not a whole lot of jumps, currency helps

Loading a stiletto 150 at 1.7 with that many jumps – well above the USPA guidelines and what most people would recommend.

Loading your PDR143 at 1.8 does not seem particularly smart either.

I would say go with a Spectre or Pilot, consider upsizing also, as loaded at 1.7 while wearing a wingsuit, even a Spectre or Pilot could make for some pretty damn exciting openings – and not in a good way.

I would be really interested to know what your canopy progression has been.

I recently replaced a Stiletto (very poor for wingsuits) with Spectre, which gives me more peace of mind.

A little story, not about wingsuit flying but about canopies. In April during a 40 way I had a canopy collision at around 100ft agl. I was spun around into line twists, and both end cells collapsed. The Spectre kept flying straight ahead, the cells reinflated immediately, and I came out of the twists in time to flare and land. I do NOT think my Stiletto would have been so well behaved.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've used Safires loaded between 1.4 and 1.85 with great success. Also a few on a pilot, but the openings were too slow for my liking although they were on heading.

I've used both my Mirage G3 and G4 for wingsuit dives. Both have dynamic corners mod.

t
It's the year of the Pig.