Costyn

Video with GPS data overlay

Hi everyone,

I was messing around with my GPS data today, and with the help of some Perl code to calculate values and generate a subtitle file and MPlayer's mencoder I created this video which shows various data throughout the flight: altitude, glide ratio, heading/bearing, vertical speed, horizontal speed, time, and distance covered so far. I wanted to share it with ya'll.

You can find it at SkydivingMovies.com of course. :)
Sorry about the abrupt start and ending. No video editing software was used during the creation of this video! :P (well, for the capturing I used iMovie but you can hardly call that editing software ;)).

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I couldn't get the video to play for some reason. I'm glad to see that others are playing with adding this to their video. I have been doing this with video and digital stills using a SW product called RED HEN for awhile now. Its a bit of overkill for this type of application but there are a few other SW packages and options out there that offer GPS overlay onto digital stills and video and live feeds.

Shoot me a PM and we can swap notes.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I couldn't get the video to play for some reason. I'm glad to see that others are playing with adding this to their video. I have been doing this with video and digital stills using a SW product called RED HEN for awhile now. Its a bit of overkill for this type of application but there are a few other SW packages and options out there that offer GPS overlay onto digital stills and video and live feeds.

Shoot me a PM and we can swap notes.

The video was encoded using MPEG4. So you probably need the XviD codec or alternatively you can download VLC which, unlinke Windows Media Player, will play pretty much anything you throw at it (highly recommended).

As for the process: the Perl script converts a GPX track file to an SRT subtitle file, which you can then give to mencoder along with the raw DV dump (or any other format for that matter) to convert to MPEG4.

I'll make the perl script available for downloading once I clean it up a little. ;)

Cheers,

Costyn.

I was able to see the Google version. Good job, I know that must have taken a good deal of work to make.

Here is frame grab from a video done with Paralog with several of the possible GPS data options selected.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was able to see the Google version. Good job, I know that must have taken a good deal of work to make.

Here is frame grab from a video done with Paralog with several of the possible GPS data options selected.

I have not seen the video yet, but have been doing calculations using GPS coordinates and that is easy to do in Excel.

Costyn,

Did you use Perl for all your calculations?

Kris.

The paralog one looks nice.

Costyn uploaded a divx version to skydivingmovies.com too... link stays the same.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replacing the broken version. Apparently I needed to give an extra option so it would place the correct DivX header in the file. I also downsampled the sound some so that it became a bit smaller.

Did you use Perl for all your calculations?

Yeah, everything is in Perl. I used an XML module to read in the GPX data. The rest was just searching for the right equations on the Internet. :)

Just saw the video. Nice work!!

With a bearing that changed continuously(even if it was very slight changes at times), Am I correct in assuming that you used a summation of the immediate GPS points to get the distance number?

On a 15 sec flight segment I was looking at on one of my flights, even though the bearing change was subtle, the distance was off by almost 10% if calculating a to b using the end points vs...calculating for a to b using all the 15 points.

Kris.

Just saw the video. Nice work!!

Thanks!

With a bearing that changed continuously(even if it was very slight changes at times), Am I correct in assuming that you used a summation of the immediate GPS points to get the distance number?

Yeah, the bearing is calculated between two consecutive points. I guess that might introduce a slight error.

On a 15 sec flight segment I was looking at on one of my flights, even though the bearing change was subtle, the distance was off by almost 10% if calculating a to b using the end points vs...calculating for a to b using all the 15 points.

Hmm... that's a good point. I'm not sure how accurate the floating point numbers are, although I do the rounding only just before they are printed. The total distance is calculated with unrounded numbers.

Anyways, as promised, so that everyone can play, a webpage where you can upload your GPX file and get a subtitle file with the calculations in return: GPX to SRT.

I've included some notes on how I encoded it (the second time round :$). Your mileage may vary. :)

Since you seem to know what you're doing, you can help me figure out my new gps toy this weekend

Heh, sure, I'll try. Which one do you have?

Garmin Etrex Vista C. Didn't have any choice about the model, I would've liked the smaller one like you have, but oh boy is this a nice toy. Comes with a usb cable too, YES! ;) and it can run off this cable, though it can't actually charge.

I need to figure out how and where to mount it and how the thing actually WORKS, besides the great gadget features like the color screen, up- and downloading pictures, welcome message, digi compass, geo caching, games (!) and various beeps (from annoying to MORE annoying LOL). This thing looks like a mobile phone!

I love new gadgets :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The video is coded as an FMP4 that is a 4CC style. this will not run using WinAMP, BSPlayer and naturally WinMediaPlayer.
What to do ?
take an Hex Editor like This and open the file. you will find "FMP4" two times in the first 10 rows of ASCII table. change it in "xvid" the first time and "XVID" the second time.
Still expect some little problems with WinMediaPlayer.

4CC (FourCC) come FMP4, che non viene letto da tutti i player. Lo legge solo Mplayer, Totem, Xine e forse VLC, ma niente per WinAMP5, BSPlayer e naturalmente Windows Media Player. Come fare quindi? Prendete un Editor Esdecimale aprite il file, e vedrete nelle prime linee due pezzi di stringa di quattro lettere = FMP4, appunto. La numero 1 la sostituite con xvid (minuscolo), la numero 2 con XVID (maiuscolo). Ora potete aprire il file da qualunque player e vederlo com un comune XVID, ma aspettatevi ancora qualche problemino con WinMediaPlayer.
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi
pistolesi.marco(at)gmail.com

Garmin Etrex Vista C. Didn't have any choice about the model, I would've liked the smaller one like you have, but oh boy is this a nice toy.

Cool, that should be a fun toy. We'll take a look at it tommorow.

The video is coded as an FMP4 that is a 4CC style. this will not run using WinAMP, BSPlayer and naturally WinMediaPlayer.
What to do ?
take an Hex Editor like This and open the file. you will find "FMP4" two times in the first 10 rows of ASCII table. change it in "xvid" the first time and "XVID" the second time.
Still expect some little problems with WinMediaPlayer.

Hahaha, cool, a true hacker solution. Re-encode? Bah! Just hex edit the file. Pretty cool. I didn't know this was possible. Anyways, the original FMP4 file has been replaced with one that has the correct DX50 header ('cause it's a DivX), that people seem to be having less trouble with playing.

Oh yeah btw I uploaded the same GPS track to TrackingDerby. The mileage is a little less than in the video, because TrackingDerby starts counting 15 seconds after exit. Oh and yes, it was quite windy that day. I'm not that good (yet). :ph34r:

Cheers,

Costyn.

I was just stating the obvious really.

If you take 15 gps points, you can get the total distance by summing the distance between point 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 and so on or by directly calculating the distance between point 1 and point 15. Both will be equal if they all lie on a straight line...if not....

Hope to get an entry into tracking derby this weekend.....

Kris.

Like I said, I was stating the obvious :)
Kris.

Ah, ok, that's what you meant. Yes, I do add up the pieces.

That was so cool

I hate you! Mad I'm trying to safe $$ and now I will have to go out and buy a GPS.

Thanks You

Hehehe yeah a GPS is a fun toy to play with indeed. However, be aware that overlaying the data on a video isn't really a trivial excercise (yet), especially encoding the video with the subtitles.

I've included some notes on how I encoded it (the second time round :$). Your mileage may vary.

I've updated the GPS to SRT page with more information on how to encode the videos under various operating systems. There was little information about doing it under Windows, but I've found out VirtualDub with the VobSub plugin does the job very nicely.

See the GPS to SRT page for more information.

Hey James,

My gpx2srt tool was never very robust nor very compatible with the somewhat different styles of GPX that do exist (even though it's one standard).

But you mention you have Paralog... afaik (never tested it myself), Paralog can embed the same exact stats in your video, just like my tool (only easier as I understand it).

Cheers

I dont know if you have the ability to export seperate txt files for each vallue, but otherwise you can also expoprt/reformat the resulting files via Exell and some simple formulas, and just use them as subtitle overlays in any editing package (1 line, scrolling subtitle).

Though the export to a subtitle file directly from paralog should also work quite okay..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?