TomAiello

V-2?

In the case that Ted isn't sworn to secrecy, it would be nice if he could share his experience and comparison of the special Vamp and his stock Vamp, even if all he got to do is flocking jumps with it. :)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

In the case that Ted isn't sworn to secrecy

It was really more "banned to secrecy" :$, but I'm back and makin poasts 2 teh intarnets again, d00derz!!1!

OK, I'm not sure how close the V2 I flew was to the production model, but I got the impression that it will be pretty close. There was actually 2 V2's at FnD, the one I flew was Robi's, and James had his there too. Sam (980) flew James'. The only noticable difference between the two was the materials. Robi's had orange parapack on the arms (which I liked better than the dacron), some kind of super high-tech, super spendy material for the body, and no dacron leg piece. Arm wing planform was visually the same as the V1, but the wing profile and 3D shape was tuned to work better. 'Intake' style air inlets on the arms, and fewer arm wing ribs. The leg wing was a bit wider, slightly shorter (which was nice), and straighter along the bottom, with 3 mylar inserts instead of 2. The leg air inlet was a refined version of the V1 inlet. The butt deflector was reworked, with two ribs instead of one, and (maybe) a little bigger.

I only got 6 jumps on the suit. The difference while flocking isn't huge. I felt like I had a little more arm wing power for floating, but that may just have been variations in the formation. The suit isn't really noticably different until you punch out. It seemed easier to really max this thing out. The arms really seemed easier to get a lot of lift out of than my V1. When I nose my V1 over and tuck my chin, it seems to want to dive some, where this thing just seemed to want to haul ass. Robi said he was expecting 10-15% more glide from it than the V1, which I can easily believe. That should put the best pilots at 3.0+ GR. Sick.

Overall, lots of small refinements adding up to make a big difference.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

The leg wing was a bit wider, slightly shorter (which was nice)...

What made it nice? Easier to get around in? Less tail wing flutter?

It was easier to walk around and get into the plane with it zipped up. Less of a tendency to step in it while climbing the steps.

Ted

Less tail wing flutter?

Is there a tendency for the tail to flutter on the V-1s?

I think it's skill dependent. With less skilled flyers (like me) yes. With more skilled flyers, I don't think so. A shorter tail wing may make the higher ends of V-2 performance more accessible than the higher ends of V-1 performance.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think it's skill dependent. With less skilled flyers (like me) yes. With more skilled flyers, I don't think so. A shorter tail wing may make the higher ends of V-2 performance more accessible than the higher ends of V-1 performance.

It's not much shorter, maybe an inch. Also, it's a little wider, which can't help with flapping. How many V1 jumps have you done? If you just got the suit, you may find that the flapping goes away as you start to learn it more. The leg wing of the V2 really felt pretty similar to the V1, the arm wings were what really seemed to be pulling harder.

Ted

The arms really seemed easier to get a lot of lift out of than my V1.....

The arm wings were what really seemed to be pulling harder.

So your saying the V2 caused alot more fatigue on the arms during long flights then the V1, but more lift?

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I didn't put any long flights on it, just break offs after flocks. I didn't feel like the arm pressure was any higher, but the front end in general seemed to be generating more lift. I know that sounds contradictary. Also, it seemed to be easier to get into that 'really maxed flight' state than my V1.

Ted

Sorry for the delay, been unplugged for the last week.

Don't have many photos of the suit yet but here is one with sub-optimal arm position (flocking).

Some features:
Shoulder inlets
Improved back deflector design
Wider leg wing
Refined arm wing design
and more

I put 40 jumps on the suit in the last week and loving it.

Long flights,
J

ps. Thanks to Jimmy Freeman for taking that shot
BASEstore.it

Looks nice.. :)
A bit smoother leg wing would also help I think.

If one could continue the deflector thing all the way down to the ankles , creating a smoother surface on the upper side of the wing, and sharpen the end of the wing, maybe it would do even more to the suit?
Like on the Phantom, but sharper ending.

The smoothest leg wing in my opinion is on the S-fly, sharp ending of the wing, and really smooth on top.

But still, would love to try one of then some day..;)

Peace,
Andreras

LOL, BASE flocking? :)

What about two people make a rodeo exit off a fixed object. During the flight the passenger dismounts and deploys his/her own parachute. Would that technically be a skydive for the passenger? :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

What about two people make a rodeo exit off a fixed object. During the flight the passenger dismounts and deploys his/her own parachute. Would that technically be a skydive for the passenger? :D

When UncleCharlie and I did it at Bridge Day this past year, I logged it as a BASE jump (I was the passenger).

I might just be cheating to try to push up my BASE numbers, though. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I see this thread is not very active... is everybody quietly ordering their V-2's hoping to secure their slot in the production queue and get the suit sooner??? :D:D:D

I know I do.

Tsssss... let's keep quiet. ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I just here sitting and praying for my suit to arrive sooner or later... I know I still have a month or 2 to go.. and i just ripped my only suit 2 weeks ago... so now i have to fly with half my ass hanging out...

blue skies fat calouds ..

cant wait for my V2

Dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733