Basjkall

Custom speed suit

I like to define the Pants as clothing which helps to provide better flying characteristics, but that MUST still allow you to walk, climb and land easily. To assure this the user must be able, while standing on one leg, to touch their chin with their knee (moving the knee toward the chin) If they cant do this then the "pants" are not pants any more, they are a wingsuit leg wing.

I predict a series of embarrassing injuries as people fall over trying to test this out:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Also in Superterminal there is a one minute plus wingsuit flight. The wings look a bit different on the video, can you post details etc.?

Kris.

The WS jumps in Superterminal are all made with the old GTIs...
A minute, huh? With his new suit, Andreas will do it in 45 sec :)

VKB#11

What is so special about this suit? Neoprene was mentioned, does that make the wings a bit rigid?

Kris.

As far as I understand, this better glide is not caused just by 'flaring' the initial speed. It's a stable configuration and they can maintain the same glide for 1000ft or 10K. There seems to be a 'potential barrier' between the regular flat track and VKB track: if you assume the characteristic VKB body position from the beginning, you will not achieve enough speed for it to work. You have to go superterminal first by diving head down, then when you're past the 'barrier', transition into track.

The above is pure speculation, I hope VKB guys will chime in here and confirm or dismiss it. :)
Yuri

Yuri,

That just seems wrong.....it may be that by diving for 1000 ft the generated speed is lasting for the another 2K or so but to think that this extra speed will last for another 10K seems wrong. Also, how many objects allow the extra 10K. :P

Kris.

Hey Yurinator, Instead of worrying about all this math nonsense, how about simplifying life and just concentrate on not hitting cliffs.[.;)]

That's hilarious.

Now to justify this post with speculation related to the topic:
I think it's just more fun and dramatic to do the "dive then plane out" technique purely for the flat glide feeling. But the potential energy at the start is the same, and if they open in the same area then overall there is no increase in efficiency of transfering potential energy to horizontal kinetic. It's merely track swooping.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Ok , Lokky_ Luke, You must take over....Lets here some more cool stuff....or is Tom A, right and it has thawed and you guys are tearing it up? ;)

Chris

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Ho
Bissi days. VKB is going on a training camp in Spain, soon...Happy days. So some of our flying gear need some modification for skydiving..

But you almost correct. Andreas has had one visit to the local hospital! After violent use of an tear-up-tol!!
;)
Lokky_luke
VKB#9

Tell him to get well..i guess they can patch him up like a F-16....:P

Fill us in on what your training camp is about...would like to hear how you guys train in the skydiving enviorment for base....;)

Stay cool...B| Chris

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Hi
VKB`s training camp in a skydiving environment.

1. Checking out our flying gears maximum performance, does it explode? Generate hi speed in head down/head low, (speed suit, tracing gear)

2. Use the generated speed/force inn difference type of glide angel, with minimum waist of energy.

3. Maintain constant speed/glide angel. (by using VKB`s GPSdytter)

4. Stay in group while doing #1, #2 and #3.

5. Get the group on tape! :S
Lokky_luke
VKB#9

5. Get the group on tape!

I want a copy...!;)

4. Stay in group while doing #1, #2 and #3.

Like in ..."The Blue Angels"....right..?:o

1. Checking out our flying gears maximum performance, does it explode? Generate hi speed in head down/head low, (speed suit, tracing gear)

That poor Nike gear.......:P

When you come out with your tracking pants and suits i have a great name for them... At exit point somewhere in Northern Norway.... "Hey dude' where did you get thoes "Crack Pants"....;)

chris

As far as I understand, this better glide is not caused just by 'flaring' the initial speed. It's a stable configuration and they can maintain the same glide for 1000ft or 10K. There seems to be a 'potential barrier' between the regular flat track and VKB track: if you assume the characteristic VKB body position from the beginning, you will not achieve enough speed for it to work. You have to go superterminal first by diving head down, then when you're past the 'barrier', transition into track.

I don't think so. It doesn't really make sense from an aerodynamical point of view, and the argumentation about total energy is solid.

BTW, this is what I did skydiving with a GPS:

-Got a 0.6:1 tracking with short pants, regular sweater, legs closed and palms down ( regular tracking body position, as taught by skydive instructors ).
-0.8:1 with a BirdMan trackpant worn UNDER the harness, regular sweater, legs slightly open, palms up.
-No data, but seemingly much better than the preceeding ( so I can assume 0.9:1 or even 1:1) with trackpant OVER the harness, same body position, wearing a columbia softshell, which seems to be a hell of a trackjacket, by the way it catches air.

This was terminal tracking, with no preceeding dive to gain airspeed ( and cross wind, for those who'd ask ), so I assume a 1:1 glide is fairly easy to acheive, provided you got the speed and the proper body position. And speed needs height...

I've got to do this again with the last setup and the GPS working to be sure...

Fabien
BASE#944

You guys are to quiet over there lately...:P

It's either thawed or you guys are up to something....

superterminal part 2..:o

starting rumors..:ph34r:

The above is pure speculation, I hope VKB guys will chime in here and confirm or dismiss it. :)
Yuri

Yuri,

That just seems wrong.....it may be that by diving for 1000 ft the generated speed is lasting for the another 2K or so but to think that this extra speed will last for another 10K seems wrong. Also, how many objects allow the extra 10K. :P

Just a thought about that "barrier." Is it possible that a burble created by the wing prevents it from accelerating through the barrier. The dive builds the speed high enough to push the vortices/burble far enough aft of the wing to almost ride it like a surfboard stays ahead of a wave by riding the "burble?" Just kinda guessing here, but maybe that is what is happening with the extra speed from the dive.

Any thoughts?

Kris.

Oops, clicked the wrong buttons when posting. The previous entry should be only this...

Just a thought about that "barrier." Is it possible that a burble created by the wing prevents it from accelerating through the barrier. The dive builds the speed high enough to push the vortices/burble far enough aft of the wing to almost ride it like a surfboard stays ahead of a wave by riding the "burble?" Just kinda guessing here, but maybe that is what is happening with the extra speed from the dive.

Any thoughts?

There seems to be a 'potential barrier' between the regular flat track and VKB track: if you assume the characteristic VKB body position from the beginning, you will not achieve enough speed for it to work. You have to go superterminal first by diving head down, then when you're past the 'barrier', transition into track.

In this discussion, does 'body position' refer only to the body shape, rather than both body shape, and body angle relative to the horizon?

Our jumping terminology may not be consistent on such things. If body angle were being included, then of course it is normal to start more head down and then angle less head down. If body angle were not, then the issue is more interesting.

(If I'm not being clear, an example is that if someone found that 20 degrees angle of attack were ideal at every speed, and a 1:1 glide ratio were the best achievable, then the jumper would start 70 degrees head down and eventually transition to 25 degrees head down as forward speed picked up.)