tdog

Wingsuit Bootie Length

I love my new Phantom... The construction is like a work of art.

But I have a question... The booties appear to be shorter than my RW suit. It is a struggle to get them on in the plane (King Air thus far, cramped on the Toilet). It is easier, but still tight, on the ground. An extra inch would make a big difference in ease. But - I am sure that is not easy to add...

I have been wearing my trail/hiking shoes I always wear skydiving, so the knubbies on the sides of the soles are a little more rough than skater shoes, but not much different than a pair of Nikes...

It appears the shoulder to bootie length is maybe a inch shorter than my RW suit.

Under canopy, it is harder to get the booties off than my RW suit... I unzip the legs then use the opposite foot to kick them off... I definitely would not want to be opening low on a BASE jump and having to get them off in a hurry- but I don't WS BASE - so not an issue...

I have looked at photos of Phantoms in flight - and other WS - and it appears I can point my toes in flight (granted I "flew" on my bed to get a good view) - just like what I see other people's feet...

So - what are the "guidelines" or "design criteria" to know if it is cut the right length... If you were having someone on the ground try on a suit, what would you look for...

The fabric does not look like the type to stretch with use - but do these things loosen up with time???

-or-

the shorter version of this post could have been, "should the booties be a pain in the ass to get on?"

Was the suit made for you, if so who took the measurements? Idealy you should be able to lock your knees out and point your toes to properly tension the suit. If the suit is not long enough to allow the pilot to lock their knees or point thier toes it can create some unsettling flights. If your suit is new, it is going to be a bit snug at first until you break it in.Booties on a suit are not like RW booties and have a different feel if your one who likes to pull them on /off right before you leave the plane. The short answer...they should be snug but not a pain to get on/off.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Custom Made - Measured by the local dealer, (Basehoundsam)... He measured three of us at the same time, and it appears that one of the guys has a little looser booties than I... But then again, he does not wear size 12 shoes either... I am a tallish guy.

I have not yet seen Jay around to show him the suit on... I am sure he will help me out - but I just wanted to ask other opinions for the sake of knowledge.

If I lock my knees while laying down, I can point my toes to about the 7 or 8 o'clock position, if my legs/knees are at the three o'clock.

But then again, he does not wear size 12 shoes either

Are you wearing the same or similar shoes that you were measured for the suit in or are you wearing thicker soled shoes? Something as small as a shoe with a thicker sole or using a hiking boot when you were measured wearing Vans can make a difference in suit fit sometimes.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

But then again, he does not wear size 12 shoes either

Are you wearing the same or similar shoes that you were measured for the suit in or are you wearing thicker soled shoes? Something as small as a shoe with a thicker sole or using a hiking boot when you were measured wearing Vans can make a difference in suit fit sometimes.

Nope... I have worn the same pair of shoes every day for the last 6 months... Sure a few business days I had to put on something more fancy - but I am the type of guy who sticks with something until it is time to throw away - and my shoes are one of those things.:P

But, if I remember correctly - we all were measured barefoot... I remember thinking standing in the dirty Mcdonalds floor barefoot was gross... Don't ask why we were measured in a Mcdonalds - other than Jay was doing us a great favor to get it done on the way to the airport for one of his BASE trips or something... And the order form does say "without shoes"...

Well from the sounds of it, you don't have a problem with locking your knees out or pointing your toes simultaneously so without seeing you in the suit, I would say that you're probably just experiencing a little bit of new suit snugness. However,If you find you're having stability problems in flight , the suit may be a tad too short for you.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Travis is just a bit upset because his teammates are hitting incredibly slow speeds (45mph) and he's off on business trips.

I think what happened is that Phoenix Fly took the no-shoes measurements and then made the suit for someone wearing regular style shoes. Hiking boots could add up to a 1/2 inch or more of height and that will definitely affect the tightness of the suit. I think a lot of this could be resolved by just FLYING THE SUIT MORE, YOU WUSS!

love always
Alan

Travis is just a bit upset because his teammates are hitting incredibly slow speeds (45mph) and he's off on business trips.

I think what happened is that Phoenix Fly took the no-shoes measurements and then made the suit for someone wearing regular style shoes. Hiking boots could add up to a 1/2 inch or more of height and that will definitely affect the tightness of the suit. I think a lot of this could be resolved by just FLYING THE SUIT MORE, YOU WUSS!

love always
Alan

Now, Alan... You had to rub in to me that you hit some pretty good fall rates while I was out of town being a DZ.com post whore because there is nothing else to do in these hotel rooms...

But, must I remind you that someone was getting tunnel time, because his client put him up in a hotel across the street from a tunnel, while you were, well, not getting tunnel time...:P How about that, Mr. flies his wingsuit at the same speed as the old lady drivers from Pasadena on a Sunday morning on the highway... Which somehow just became a back handed jealous filled compliment...:P

Love always,

Travis

What do you mean that's all you have to do in those hotel rooms? Dont they have the SPICE channel?

I'm telling you, by the end of the summer you'll be outflying me in the suit, on your belly, and on your head and I'll have nothing to say then.

In the meantime, it's my turn to gloat! Now hurry back to Colorado so we can go fly in the tunnel. I think Rich and I might go tomorrow night!

el jefe

Another reason why I love PF and the service they have given me already... Robert Pecnik personally responded to me and confirmed some measurements and gave me advice...

Bravo...

I am a big fan, and now even a bigger one!!!:)

Alan,

If you would like to come to this gig and hear about "Gramoxone Inteon" and "Strobilurin Physiological Effects", I would be glad to stop posting and start jumping. But for now, I am going to post whore.

So, are we jumping this weekend? I was home for about 8 hours last weekend, just long enough to pack my suitcase again, do a load of laundry, and put on the wingsuit and "fly" around my house dreaming...

The forcast for Sunday:

Abundant sunshine. Highs in the low 50s

Well from the sounds of it, you don't have a problem with locking your knees out or pointing your toes simultaneously so without seeing you in the suit, I would say that you're probably just experiencing a little bit of new suit snugness. However,If you find you're having stability problems in flight , the suit may be a tad too short for you.

Oh, BTW... I forgot to thank you for all the advice. Some day I hope we can meet in our travels, as I am sure I could learn a lot from ya, and I am always looking for coaches to improve my skills.

(Alan, don't slam me for posting again, I just wanted to say thank you because I realized I didn't - once you side tracked me. :P)

Oh, BTW... I forgot to thank you for all the advice. Some day I hope we can meet in our travels, as I am sure I could learn a lot from ya, and I am always looking for coaches to improve my skills.

Hey I just heard about a book he (Scott) wrote, I am surprised it was not in his post - but you should run out and pick it up I am sure it has lots of useful info in it.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Hey I just heard about a book he (Scott) wrote, I am surprised it was not in his post - but you should run out and pick it up I am sure it has lots of useful info in it.

Yep... I have it... Matter of fact, I have it with me here in Lake Tahoe, to keep me entertained as I sit in this hotel...:ph34r: