airdave98

GS1 Leg Wing Problems

Have any of you other GS1 flyers out there had a problem with the leg wing not inflating? If so, have you figured out what the problem is? I need to get it fixed because the flapping is damaging the wing. Until then, I've had to remove the leg wing to prevent further damage. :(

I've asked for some help from the nice folks at Jii-wings, but they are a little too busy to get back to me right now.

Any advice?

Check out the video and let me know what you guys think.
http://www.4shared.com/file/748594/ae5ac680/GS1_Short.html

Damn... that's naasty... I'd get that looked at if I were you! B|

Looks like it's about to blow apart at any time...
Yeah, I would say you may have to ship the legwing back to the factory to have it inspected/rebuilt/replaced. Upon inspecting it yourself you didn't find anything out of order on the outside skin of the wing (holes, cuts, etc)? [:/]
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I believe you are referring to the little zip-in wing with the mesh triangle in it's middle.

Just zip it off and fly without it, it doesn't make you lose any performance by not having it there.

Send it to Jii-wings, I know they are aware of this flapping issue.

If your main legwing is not inflating, check the inlet from the inside of the suit to make sure it's only mesh there, not ripstop too.

Thanks for the input! I've checked the leg inlet with a rigger and a very experienced BMI. Everything seems normal. No inlet blockage. I unzipped my leg wing and did a jump, but my right leg zipper blew out! I don't know if this is related to the removal of the leg wing. Although, I was able to "re-thread" the zipper and it seems to zip up correctly now. Due to bad weather, I haven't been able to do any more jumps to see if the zipper problem was just an isolated incident. Here is the video of the zipper blowout. My right leg was fully zipped and secured prior to exit. I think it happened during or soon after exit... as the suit was pressurizing. Any thoughts?

http://www.4shared.com/file/751144/5c95762b/GS1_Zipper.html

After flying the GS1 a bit it seems there are a few issues that still need work for it to become more pleasant to fly.

The more standard BM and PhF suits practically fly themselves up to a point . The GS1 does too sort of but not in a intuitive way.The GS1 needs a lot more pilot input to get it going well.

Was your GS1 made for you or is it 2nd hand? Any body size/suit size matters may be interfereing with its correct inflation.

The more standard BM and PhF suits practically fly themselves up to a point . The GS1 does too sort of but not in a intuitive way.The GS1 needs a lot more pilot input to get it going well.

Just my opinion....

None of the suits are made to automatically fly themselves.

Kris.

None of the suits are made to automatically fly themselves.
Kris.

I don't think that's what he meant, as obviously none have auto-pilot mode yet. I took it as the GS1 is comparatively more demanding of pilot attention than others. I have heard this several times before from different people.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

inreply to "None of the suits are made to automatically fly themselves. "

Sure but some are just a whole lot easier and more natural to fly.

I've found the BM suits (Classic Gti Skyflyers ) and the PhF (Phantom, V1 ) to be very intuitive ie easy to fly without thinking too much. ie it just seems to happen naturally.

If relaxed these suits almost fly themselves .

In the GS1 if you relax the suit takes over and does all sorts of undesirable tricks. This has just been my experience and others may feel different about it.
I just think the GS1 needs more work for it to be more fun and easy to fly.

I've also seen people fly a Classic, GTi, Matter3, S3 etc with the same flapping, even though they where perfect suits and didnt flap when others flew them.

I dont know if it's the problem here, but sometimes correcting leg position, maybe pushing knees out more (stretching the wing better), or doing the opposite (so the wing can inflate better), changing your angle of attack (so your leg-inlet catches more air) ...etc can make a big difference.

Maybe see if you can have someone else fly your suit a few times, and check if he/she also gets the same flapping?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

In regards to the leg wing flapping, it has been a problem and takes an effort to remember to push your knees and feet out to fully inflat the wing. It feels a little weird but youll get used to it. It is a different way to fly the wing than other suits.

That goes for entire suit as well. Ive got about 70 jumps on a GS1 now and im still learning new ways to fly it. The suit is different and thats great!! It flies differently because its designed diferently. The suit itself has more surface area and thus lift than any other suit out there. The design of the wings attached to the rear of the pilot and not the side gives it this as well as the full length design of the wing.

Its been mentioned how to fly the suit a few times before so i wont repeat it hear, however like every suit it will take a while for you to dial in the correct body position to fly it well and effortlessly and this will take some time. Flying the GS1 feels almost like being under a hand glider as the stresses are pulling from behind you. This is why when you first try it, it can start turning all by itself, hehe. But you'll learn to correct it and really start to fly it and it IS a lot of FUN!

I used it during our Xmas boogie and it never missed a beat. I was camera on the flock records and was easily able to get my slot including a recovery from a bad exit sending me low. For flocking itself it is great. Again you can fly it slow or fast and get lift on any suit out there. The range is amazing. This is also great for larger people if fall rate is a problem. Some people have mentioned its slow, heheh, just go steeper. The suit isnt slow. It will also give you lift as you do. And Speed is good!!

Just because of its total range I feel it would have to be one of the best suits designed for flocking and wingsuit camera.

It is a bit fidly with all the extra bits but you get used to them and the improvements made have been great. Thanks Maria.

However I would like the flight deck (the suit itself separate from the wing) to be made of a stronger material. Lightness is good but strength is an issue. Also id like some stretchy material in some of the stress points (hips kness) to reduce risk of tearing.

Overall The GS1 is definately worth a try and not just one or two, you'll need at least twenty to really get a good feel. Its my no 1 suit at the moment and personally i love it.

Rocket

The suit itself has more surface area and thus lift than any other suit out there.

More surface area and head high angle of attack equals more drag and not necessarily lift. Not my cup of tea but some wingsuit pilots have been able to fly the GS1 at very impressive glides.

Kris.