Calvin19

Just what is a "Buzz"

My opinion: take "canopy can't turn to intercept" and add a safe buffer to that. So the canopy can't even turn to make it "close". I don't know the exact number where the line is crossed, but as I've said in the other thread, if I see a canopy in my path I will make a point to avoid it by 50-100 yards (a football field). I think that is fair. I also make all reasonable efforts to avoid this situation in the first place.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

and add a safe buffer to that.

I meant to add that... couldnt agree more. if one flies close to canopies, but makes the flight path as to be sure that there is no way one can wrap, then i would say its pretty safe.
But i do put myself in this situation intentionaly... there is no reason i see not to, relative motion is the only way to learn. and skydiving RARELY gives any relative motion. in fact, every rule in skydiving is designed to avoid relative motion...pull high... match flight paths for RW, etc

If you think about it...
on jump run, aircraft traveling at say 50-100mph.
zero wind, 5 second delays between groups. this puts anywhere between 250' and 500' between freefall paths, if people track at any angle towards the groups in front and behind them, they are even closer. so... since we cant even see the other groups... and dont tell me you have never drifted... i would say a pass from 500' from a wingsuit is not only perfectly safe, but routine.

If you think about it...
on jump run, aircraft traveling at say 50-100mph.
zero wind, 5 second delays between groups. this puts anywhere between 250' and 500' between freefall paths, if people track at any angle towards the groups in front and behind them, they are even closer. so... since we cant even see the other groups... and dont tell me you have never drifted... i would say a pass from 500' from a wingsuit is not only perfectly safe, but routine.

Agreed, that was my point in the other thread to somebody who said we should be NOWHERE NEAR THEM. All skydivers are actually pretty close to each other, anybody can fly their canopy under someone else in freefall if they do the right (wrong) thing. The only way to avoid this situation would be to drop one jumper at a time, every 5 minutes, which is obviously not feasible. So we take steps to minimize proximity issues and risk. Exit separation, tracking direction, canopy flight direction after opening, and wingsuit flight patterns all are a part of this.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hello,
Check in with all friendly bros.
Get out first, and offset your flight by 100'.
Fly straight down the flight path watching all the friendly bros exits.
After they're all out, fly a bit more before hooking a u-turn.
As you come banking around you look for the Otter diving, hella cool.
Then you fly right down the middle of all the bros,
buzzing them to the left and to the right, like cones.
50' or 500', it's up to you.
You are a flying baracuda amonst a school of whales.
You remember about the dzo,
and dump by the freeflyers canopies to hide your lowpull.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Generally 50-100 yards is my comfort zone. Far enough away that there's no way they can turn into me. I'm also not going to be buzzing anyone below 3k as I don't want to open near where they're flying.

Maybe that would be classified as a "flyby" instead of a "buzz" though. I don't know.