Calvin19

What kind of main are you jumping? ---again out of a plane

Nitro 120 at 1.67 lbs/sq ft, it's elliptical, but fairly docile for it's planform and size.

I also have a special 9ft long bridle that has a kill line and base pc style attachment, used to attach a 28" Asylum AV pilotchute (with external handle).

Occasionally I'll use my Blackjack260 at 0.76 lbs/sq ft, freepacked with a 32" PC, but since I seem to get to jump it enough off stuff, I don't bother to jump it out of planes very much anymore.

Sabre 120 and Cobalt 120 at 1.6. One square and one elliptical. Two different critters, both have pros and cons. Decided after a couple tests not to use my Xaos-21 at about 2.0 :o Very interested in what others are using, thanks for the poll.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

sam,
i just got my blackjack 260, fine mesh slider. what do you do to the nose? cant wait to jump it, but i dont know how much the vents are going to slam me. (freepacked,34"pc, in a mirage container for wingsuit)

Calvin,

It will be a slam if you don't roll the nose. Like I found out on my first terminal jump(BlackJack 280)
Tightly roll the three cells on each side and hide them behind the open center cell. If you search the BASE forum there is a post by Tom that explains this better.

I jump a Sab2 170 currently but will be switching rigs to have a Black Jack 240 main. I don't jump enough here in the U.K, so need as much canopy time under the big 7 cells as possible.

Kris.

BLACKJACK 260, .63 wl

add: also use a dbag. I roll the nose (skydiving) at least to the A lines plus a bit, and roll the tail tight also... Even when using a finemesh slider openings are not harsh.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

hey Matt

you might want to ask this question in the basezone, as you should get responses from people with lots of wingsuit jumps under vented canopies

I'm not too knowledgable on slowing down/controlling terminal Blackjack openings, as I don't have even one basejump with a delay over 6 seconds yet and only about 5 terminal wingsuit skydives on my Blackjacks.

Here is what I have heard from people who have taken them terminal more:

- roll the nose: like Kris said, I think Tom A's standard nose treatment would work nice, 3 outer cells each side rolled back all the way to the line you would get if you extended the a-line past the attachment points, then tuck these rolls into the back/sides of your centre cell. I would think minimising the size of centre cell exposed would help too.

I have a suspicion that bottom skin inlets make the canopy slow down less when you roll the nose, compared to non-vented canopies, so you want to play around with these things too:

-slider control: both direct (tailgate stow on a centre c-line attachment point, take a bight of slider) and indirect slider control (primary stow)

-slider type: for skydives, using a 'sail' slider is a good way to make the openings softer. I have several sliders I have used with my Blackjacks, the standard 'sail' slider, an old large mesh slider (more square) and the new fine mesh slider (more rectangular, this slider became standard along with the control line configuration change) and also a non-CR large mesh slider with different proportions to the Blackjack/Ace slider, but meant for the same size canopy. slider size and shape affects the opening as much as slider material, even though a larger slider (new CR fine mesh) would make you think slower openings, if it is quite wide and not too long, then it will allow more initial spanwise expansion, which exposes more nose and bottom skin inlets but it gets less 'drive' down the lines due to it's width (this affects the geometry of the lines/slider/canopy interaction). Based on minimal experience with them, I have found the new CR fine mesh slider to open FASTER than the old large mesh slider, even at wingsuit terminal. Bigger sliders do not neccesarily open slower, based on shape, they might open faster.

-control line control: while I would NOT recommend this for basejumping (as a very experienced jumper I talked to about this does not believe anyone has enough experience with this method yet), using a tailgate (slider-up) to control your brakelines and centre C and D lines, is done to decrease the chance of line-overs, but it seems to slow down / soften the opening by staging the deployment more. Some folks use masking tape instead of a tailgate to achieve this control slider-up. This will have a tune-able effect based on the location of the control (how far from the c-line attachment points, down the lines) and the strength of it (how many wraps of masking tape, or wraps of elastic and type of elastic)

-pilotchute type/size: speed of extraction, drag and stability are issues here. I do not understand all the interactions, but I have heard some people get better results (nicer openings) with a 36" or even 38" PC on wingsuit jumps, compared to a 32" PC. Try a few different sizes and types.

so there you go, my long-winded thoughts on wingsuit terminal Blackjack skydive packing;)

you may want to think about it before trying all the things I've listed, as I have been known to jump slider-up using a large mesh slider with a tailgate, direct slider control and indirect slider control :o

why? because on a skydive you can afford to play around with packing and see what happens! :D

have fun and let me know what you find out

PS - it's very likely that how you deploy in a wingsuit will affect openings more than packing, i.e. Do you do the one handed throw out and keep flying maxed? Do you collapse all wings and build up vertical speed and bleed-off some horizontal speed? Or do you go from maxed flight into a flare type move to kill horizontal speed without building too much vertical speed just before pitching?

My first 2 wingsuit base openings slambed me a bit i saw stars briefly so i rolled the nose heaps direct slider small mesh , and droped my knees after i pitched and sort of sank into the opening if that makes sense any way that worked for me positive but not to hard .i have only done 7 wingsuit base and 5 with nice openings ...see ya.

Blade 78
spectre 97
Troll 180, non vented, d bagged unless going under 750ft

Why did you pick this altitude for D-baged packjob limit? just wondering, usualy my rule is 2000' for freepacked, and whether im wingsuiting or not. to me, a dbag is the scariest thing inthe world. and i would rather skip that step when pulling at 300'