lauras

Buzzing people under canopy?

Like I said if I don't want someone I don't know flying a canopy 50 feet from me at close to the same speed...Why would I be OK with some guy I don't know buzzing me at a 60-100 MPH difference?

As we still haven't defined a buzz in terms of distance and heading its a big angry grey area. Just like Jason I've been at DZ were the TMs beg for a "flyby" and at other DZ were if you open up or fly closer than a quarter mile from a student it was too close.

I do really like Diablopilots definition, if you change your heading to get closer to the TM its a buzz.

Now at some tandem mills the tandems, once under canopy, do not just form a neat little skirmish line to fly back along in an offset track but instead fly a much wider path of figure eights to give themselves spacing. From a returning wingsuiter point of view this would appear as not a neat single line but instead canopies scattered laterally across your path of return requiring a constant heads up and possibility that you may be forced to fly between a pair of tandems.

If you nicely split the gates, large distances here, it shouldn't get a negative response. But if you demand a quarter mile of traffic avoidance before you get angry at a wingsuiter thats doing his best at staying clear, you might be unreasonable.

Its a little like demanding nobody swoops within 200' distance near you on the landing area during landing and willing to get physical over it.

Glen

Now at some tandem mills the tandems, once under canopy, do not just form a neat little skirmish line to fly back along in an offset track but instead fly a much wider path of figure eights to give themselves spacing. From a returning wingsuiter point of view this would appear as not a neat single line but instead canopies scattered laterally across your path of return requiring a constant heads up and possibility that you may be forced to fly between a pair of tandems.

If you nicely split the gates, large distances here, it shouldn't get a negative response. But if you demand a quarter mile of traffic avoidance before you get angry at a wingsuiter thats doing his best at staying clear, you might be unreasonable.

Its a little like demanding nobody swoops within 200' distance near you on the landing area during landing and willing to get physical over it.

VERY well said Glen.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

As far as actual risks go, you are not qualified to assess them, and not required to

With 3800 jumps, 14 years of skydiving, pilots licenses, PRO ratings, Instructor ratings...bla..bla...bla, AND WS flight I am quite qualified to assess the risks of a flyby.

What makes YOU qualified to assess these risks?

You also need to work on your conflict resolution model. As it stands, trying to break somebody's nose will get you hurt and arrested. Not a good outcome.

Me getting hurt...Maybe, maybe not I would clearly be willing to take that chance if you are risking my life to get your rocks off. Getting arrested? Well once I state you tried to kill me with a reckless stunt, show the USPA's BSR's on wingsuit flight, your posts on here about how much fun it is, and your lack of concern for the "cones"...Doubt it.

I tried to explain why we didn't like it, and all I got for you and others was "fear", "cones", "Do it without them knowing".

I think YOU need to work on your conflict resolution skills. You even admit you are "Pushing buttons". Thats pretty childish. You had an opportunity to get some good discussion started that might save lives or atleast make the image of WS flight not look like a buch of selfish yahoos who don't care about anyone else....Instead you started a game.

When push comes to shove...Do you think the DZ would rather have a few happy WS folks and fly a Cessna, or a bunch of happy other jumpers that fill an Otter?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As we still haven't defined a buzz in terms of distance and heading its a big angry grey area.

We have defined it several times.

1. If I know and trust you and you ask me for permission *and I give it*. Then the distance is talked about and decided on.

2. If I don't know you, don't trust you, you didn't ask, and I never said OK. Then the distance should not matter, but I would guess for ME (Since it will depend on who the "cone" is) would be about 500 feet.

If you nicely split the gates, large distances here, it shouldn't get a negative response

And you will not.

Only sort off. I can move much better away from a guy under canopy and the closing speed will most likely not kill. If I am under canopy, I will not be nearly as manuverable, and if you hit me or my canopy it could kill me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Me getting hurt...Maybe, maybe not I would clearly be willing to take that chance if you are risking my life to get your rocks off. Getting arrested? Well once I state you tried to kill me with a reckless stunt, show the USPA's BSR's on wingsuit flight, your posts on here about how much fun it is, and your lack of concern for the "cones"...Doubt it.

I tried to explain why we didn't like it, and all I got for you and others was "fear", "cones", "Do it without them knowing".

I think YOU need to work on your conflict resolution skills. You even admit you are "Pushing buttons". Thats pretty childish. You had an opportunity to get some good discussion started that might save lives or atleast make the image of WS flight not look like a buch of selfish yahoos who don't care about anyone else....Instead you started a game.

2. If I don't know you, don't trust you, you didn't ask, and I never said OK. Then the distance should not matter, but I would guess for ME (Since it will depend on who the "cone" is) would be about 500 feet.

Hm...I think that is pretty much what Yuri (outrager) was saying all the time. A buzz in his definition is done in a safe manner so that unintentional manouvres cannot endanger either the pilot under canopy or the wingsuit pilot.

Did Yuri anywhere ever mention at what exact distance he would "buzz"...? No...and I am pretty sure in reality everything would just have culminated in a civilised discussion about "where does my personal safety distance" lie.

I did not ask Yuri but I bet a safe buzz in his definition does not mean passing at 10'.

You seem to assume he is talking about buzzing really super close (like 10') what he never said. So instead of just calmly asking "well, how close do you think is safe buzzing for you" I could read from your side mainly pretty strong accusations ("tried to kill me with a reckless stunt") pretty childish threats and attacks towards Yuri (again: he is one of the "unreal" wingsuit flyers of the world).

And by the way, I seriously doubt you can consistently judge the difference between a pass of a wingsuit flyer at 300' and 500'.

So just relax, I do not think you are so far away from each other. Just do not assume things people did not say.

Now Yuri, please don't le me down, I hope I understood you right and I am on the same path as you :ph34r:.

--
Eduard

Hm...I think that is pretty much what Yuri (outrager) was saying all the time.

No, he said I was unqualified to have an opinion.

A buzz in his definition is done in a safe manner so that unintentional manouvres cannot endanger either the pilot under canopy or the wingsuit pilot.

TWO people get a say in that distance, not one. They have all been saying we should not have an opinon since we are not qualified in their opinion.

I could read from your side mainly pretty strong accusations

And from their side such things as "Buzz anyway, they can't tell"....Ect.

pretty childish threats and attacks towards Yuri

He is the one that said he was pushing buttons and making this a game. By doing that he acted childish and destriyed any hope of making any headway towards a serious conversation.

Out of this entire conversation the thing that made me most excited was Lauras quote "I would like to try BASE (ok, let's make that A & S for now)" Lets get past this discussion and on to Laura coming out to do some BASE!:) maybe I can start the My wingsuit manufacturer is better than yours thread that tends to get people excited!!!! hahahahha:S

damn dude, you beat me to posting the link to my video!

this thread motivated me to throw together some footage I have from many buzzes

I'm sure everyone will find one that they think is acceptable and also one they think is too close

;)

Very cool video!
I like the 2-way with the guy with the kite:)just out of curiosity, what kind of setup do you use. I mean, can you just exit the same time and have a flightplan like a normal wingsuit 2-way? does the kite guy also do small corrections or does he just fly straight like the base?
Also, this thread got me thinking.
I recently saw a video of the huge tube and when they let go of it, it was just kinda floating nicely down. I thought it would be very cool to do a fly-by on that tube. Now why not just throw a tube out of the plane before you exit and do a fly-by on the tube. While you're at it, throw out two, so you have a gate you can fly through. I just think you should add some more weight to it and wait a minute before you exit after it. We won't be allowed to do this in Holland but I've seen you americans throw anything out of a plane. so, what do you think...
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

why not just throw a tube out of the plane before you exit and do a fly-by on the tube. While you're at it, throw out two, so you have a gate you can fly through. I just think you should add some more weight to it and wait a minute before you exit after it.

Test along that line have been tried. We have tossed several different configurations of "gates" out of the A/C in an attempt to create a gated "course" out in Eloy. Long story short, it's not as easy as one would think to effectively establish a course consistantly. If your talking about just throwing one or two out and using them as slalom gates,it's no big deal but it's far from being a course and not all that fun to fly. It also eats up a lot of A/C time/resources.

Edit to add additional info and photo:

I found the article I was looking for that will give everyone an idea of what is possibly in store in the future. Using the Titan from Alti-2 the attached discription of an aerial "course" could feasibly be used for a Birdman competition course one day soon.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Now why not just throw a tube out of the plane before you exit and do a fly-by on the tube. While you're at it, throw out two, so you have a gate you can fly through. I just think you should add some more weight to it and wait a minute before you exit after it. We won't be allowed to do this in Holland but I've seen you americans throw anything out of a plane. so, what do you think...

The tube would have to land somewhere. Adding weights to it would be adding risk to people on the ground.

We can use spaceballs at SOME DZ's, but not all. And the plan is to catch and land with the ball. Other things like "junk day" where they throw anything out of the plane is very carefully planned to avoid risk to people on the ground.