Trae

When would you ground a wingsuiter?

He approached a BMI for advice and ended up being grounded...Instead of working on the exit problem with the guy the BMI grounded him.

[:/]
Ahhh I love the internet. It allows a seriously convoluted version of events to get propagated as fact.
I'm going to presume we're talking about the same incident, please forgive me if we're not…

A BMI or PFI cannot ground someone, it is not a nationally recognised instructor rating. However, a BMCI who is also a Chief Instructor and has the support of the CI and DZSO's of the dz they're on, most certainly can ground someone. Please note that the jumper was not grounded from jumping, merely from jumping his S3. He was again offered a loan of a GTi and free coaching, which he would not accept.

If a relatively new jumper bought a high performance elliptical canopy and put a high-wing loading on it, we would all jump up and down if they were not counselled about it. If you have no problem with someone not being allowed to jump a high performance canopy and being asked to jump something safer and more suited to their current skill level, I question why it should be any different for a high performance wingsuit??

The jumper was not abandoned; he has been coached, counselled and helped since 2004 and if he feels that this is what has happened, then it saddens me greatly.

It was never anyone’s intention to stop him wingsuiting, rather the opposite, we have all been trying to help him fly safely. He has been getting free coaching for over a year, from a very good wingsuiter/BMI/PFI. It was this instructor who first suggested he move back to a GTi and get his skill set up before progressing back to his skyflier.

The jumper in question doesn’t deserve to have this aired online, and I’m similarly distressed at the manner in which the integrity and competancy of those involved has been questioned.

I can understand that things can be hard to gauge when you are on "the outside", but there's a lot more to this than merely a "mature gentleman" being grounded because he asked for help with his exits.

If Trae or anyone else has issue with what I've said, please feel free to PM me and discuss it.

Call me old-school, but I don’t believe this is the place to be sledging/discussing people who aren't here to defend themselves.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Thank you Jasmin for providing the full story and the facts behind it. As I had suspected, there was more to this story than was initially presented. From the sounds of it, there is a good deal of personal and personality driven issues here and very little to do with the instruction methods. As you pointed out, this could very easily be substituted with words like ""FF", "RW" or "canopy" accident waiting to happen and it would of been handled the same by any responsible, safety conscious DZSO.

Hopefully, the jumper will see that his best interest is being looked out for and take advantage of the opportunity to refine his skills on a lower performance suit with one on one instruction, be it from a BMCI/BMI/PFI.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING