WatchYourStep

Wingsuit and C-182?

Let me start off by saying I know I don't have enough jumps/experience for a wingsuit, but I have the following question/scenario.

I'm in Kansas and love every aspect of skydiving that I've tried. Heck I've mainly been on my belly but have done a few sits and one CRW jump. It's always a blast and I'm not bored or anything, but flying a wingsuit is something I'd love to try, in the future.

I plan on being at WFFC and was going to see (if I have the experience by then) if they will be having any bird man classes. If not I've looked around and found an instructor in Chicago for Phoenix-Fly (correct me if I'm wrong) Johnny Utah.

Here in Kansas it is all C-182s. Is it possible to do a wingsuit out of a Cessna? I know I'll be around here for a while so if it were possible I was going to start dedicating more of my jumps to tracking. If not I'm going to focus on more belly work.

I'd hate to go to WFFC get hooked and then not be able to do it where I'm at now.

Thanks for any info.

Edited: were to where

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I plan on being at WFFC and was going to see (if I have the experience by then) if they will be having any bird man classes.

BIRD-MAN has a full-size tent @ WFFC every year, with instruction from multiple BMI's, a full fleet of demo wingsuits, and load organizing. All day, every day. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Here in Washington the 182 is most the common as well. No problems, just not as roomy on the ride up. If you launch off the strut it's easier to approach with your back to it until you get a hold of it so you don't get blown back/off. ;)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

tr027-

Are you taking 3 other jumpers up when you wear your wingsuit or do you end up taking 2 spots?
Thanks

Yes, you can still fit the same number of jumpers. Last weekend I did a 4-way WS jump out of a Cessna 206. 4 WS jumpers and 1 non-WS. The 206 carries 1 more than a 182. You'll get used to it, I'm sure your WS instructor will address any and all questions when you take the FFC.

Happy Flights,

-TR
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I plan on being at WFFC and was going to see (if I have the experience by then) if they will be having any bird man classes

I will be running the BirdMan tent at WFFC in 2006, so yes, there will be plenty of wingsuit action for everyone.

Is it possible to do a wingsuit out of a Cessna?

Most definately. There are however a few considerations and tricks that make it easier,all of which are covered in the book Skyflying, Wingsuits in Motion.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Cessna's are easy. I have flights out of both the C-182 and the C-205.

The easiest way to do it is a poised exit. When you have your hands on the strut and are making your way out, keep your arms in a bit to keep the drag on your wings minimal for an easy climbout. Do the side-hop for the poised exit, and once you've cleared the plane, go ahead and spread your limbs into flight-mode.

I always tell the pilot to keep flying his heading for 60 seconds then bring it down. I also discuss his descent pattern with him so I know where he plans to be.

Depending on the kind of step you have, be careful. You really don't want to snag a bootie!

When you get enough jumps to go for your training, all of this will be covered as well if you ask about that kind of plane. Your instructor will be able to go more in-depth with you as well.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Most definately. There are however a few considerations and tricks that make it easier,all of which are covered in the book Skyflying, Wingsuits in Motion.

I really need to break down and pick up a copy of that, :ph34r:.

*adding it to my to-do list*
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

We've had a 4 wingsuit orgy in a 182 before with no problem.

I hope I wasn't on that load since we didn't have any female w/s fliers until very recently and I have no memory of a wingsuit orgy. But with the right bird babe it sounds like good kinky fun. As for the "no problem " part I guess that would depend on what you consider a problem. In solving that problem we proved it's existence. At any rate flocks out of the 182 are not only doable they're a blast. We may be able to solve the problem again this weekend (unless other options prevail). With seven regular birds and several occasionals I'd say we're a pretty substantial force for a small DZ.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Yes, poised exits work well from Cessnas, provided you keep your elbows close to your ribs and knees close together.

Even easier is a diving exit. Just sit with your back against the instrument panel, swing your feet out onto the step and dive head first. Arch your spine - like crazy - and try tucking your feet up on your bum. Once you are clear of the airplane, spread your wings, extend your legs and start flying.

We did a four-way wingsuit exit from the 206 last weekend with three on the step and one door diver. It wasn't real pretty but we pulled it off. I'm not sure that it can be done from a 182 but there's one way to find out.

We've done really tight 4 way WS exits from our 182. You can fit 3 on the step in a poised position and the 4th one sits in the door. The 3 on the step all leave at the same time and the 4th one follows asap. The 4th WS pilot jumps out and rotates mid exit so they are facing the front of the plane along with the other 3 WS pilots. The 4th slot is the most challenging but we have had exits were all 4 WS are in slot perfect formation within 4 or 5 seconds of exit. Actually, I find this easier than an Otter exit with as many wingsuits.:)
Flying Hellfish #470

We did a sweet 4-way from a 182 today, 2 on the step, one in the door and one late door diver. Everyone nailed the exit and flew a tight (hand bump) formation until breakoff. Cacawwwww! Thanks Jim, Dave and Bob. Not to mention our pilot Francis.

Well it's been 8 months since my initial post on wingsuiting. I won't be making WFF this year, but I am headed up to the Redemption Boogie on Saturday and will be meeting up with Joan Garvey for my "introductory" wingsuit flight. I can't wait!!!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

In NE we jump from 182's all the time. Once you get use to it you can get some real nice exits from a 182. We have evev taken off 4-ways from a 182.
See ya Sat! We can practice a 182 exit as well if you'd like.
Joni