Viking

Watching the golden age of wingsuits from the ground?

This is really starting to get on my nerves.

I'm trying to get as many jumps in as I can so i jump a suit but its gonna take me a year to get enough to safely do it. >:(>:(>:( grrrrrrr!!!

Anyone else wanna start a support group for aspiring wingsuit jumpers.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I'm trying to get as many jumps in as I can so i jump a suit but its gonna take me a year to get enough to safely do it. grrrrrrr!!!

Anyone else wanna start a support group for aspiring wingsuit jumpers.

A couple of times this year I've had planned out where I was going to go for a shitload of jumps in one go and then were I was going to go to get into a wingsuit and it never quite worked out.

But I've kept going to my local DZ regularly, had a couple of good 10-20 jump weekends over summer and an awesome run of good weather this autumn and whadd'ya know,

Out of nowhere I've got 230 jumps and this is going to be the weekend I flyB|

I know exactly how you feel but jump numbers rack up faster than you expect, especially if you find something else that motivates you in skydiving right now, be it canopy flight, shit hot FS, anything that'll keep you stoked to get to the DZ each weekend.

Well anyway, long story short I'd love to join ya support club but hopefully I'll only be eligible for two more days!

Keep the faith;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

oh well thanx for rubbing your weekend in my face......

:P:P

ya just recently got my container and reserve, and now i'm looking for a main. Its allowed me to jump alot more than i used to.

... well hop on an aircraft and come to the Picton Christmas Boogie in Australia. 100 jumps over the boogie is achievable, as long as you learn to psycho pack fast and make 10 or 12 jumps a day.

Then at the tail end of the boogie, I'll do your FFC - and BINGO, you'll finally know why the birds are always singing. It's the sheer love of pure flight!! Have you noticed, yet, that the birds all wear wingsuits?

The boogie has a wingsuit event dove-tailed in on it, so lots of wingsuit happenings will be rolling.

If you can make 15 or 20 wingsuit flights by the end of the boogie, I'll invite you to come on some flights over Canberra City - or DC equivalent.

It's all good.Then you'll spread the love!!

Blue Skies,

fergs
BMCI

This brings up an interesting point...

Hypothetically, if some wingsuit instructor were to mentor this guy over the next 25-40 jumps done at a fast rate(in a month or so) then does he still need to do an arbitrary number of jumps before jumping a wingsuit? I don't think so.

What do you guys think?

Kris.

This brings up an interesting point...

Hypothetically, if some wingsuit instructor were to mentor this guy over the next 25-40 jumps done at a fast rate(in a month or so) then does he still need to do an arbitrary number of jumps before jumping a wingsuit? I don't think so.

What do you guys think?

Kris.

I think that an average of 26 jumps a year over 4 years is not current enough to even think about starting jumping a wingsuit prior to 200 dives total. Even at 200 dives the recomendation is 200 dives in 18 months, and in South Africa, 300 dives in 2 years. Everyone is quick to point out that the sky's not going anywhere, so what's the rush?

I'm with Erno. "It's all about how much you can cut away" - Redline.

Spend less. Jump more. There are no crack addicts turning down a fix cos they don't have the money. They find a way to support their habit. If it's important, you'll find a way.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

There are no crack addicts turning down a fix cos they don't have the money. They find a way to support their habit. If it's important, you'll find a way.

Haha, great advice. Now go steal some money from your friends. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Start cutting out the unimportant drek from your life. Getting a roommate can cut down on your rent, staying with an old car instead of buying a new one can save you hundreds of dollars a month in car payments. Taking bag lunches to work instead of eating fast food can save a lot of money, etc.

It's not hard coming up with a $200-300 or more a month jump budget. And wingsuits are so worth it. The speed, power and control you have with them is such an addiction.

Start packing other peoples parachute..

but the MOST important one of all!!!

EAT LESS!!
You'll save money, you'll lose kilo's and that WILL come in handy once you start flying!

Look at all wingsuit-gods with 1000+ wingsuit jumps...they're all skinny...:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

hey Kris

first, I think you're a nice enough dude and I enjoy flying wingsuits with you, but:

number one:
200 skydives are not very many, no-one really knows much at that point yet, although almost everyone thought they knew a lot...

number two:
currency - 200 jumps in more than 18 months is generally not current enough to be on your game, especially if that's ALL the jumps you have

number three:
safe progression for the massses vs. what YOU think is right for YOU - I'd like to point out your involvement in a wingsuit collision, and a load of pissed off basejumpers due to how and where you did your first wingsuit basejump, to show you where I am coming from when I say: your idea of a safe and reasonable progression is faster than the one held by more experienced jumpers.

no preaching here, brother, just pointing out the facts and hoping you will take a step back and think about this

skydiving is dangerous enough as it is

wingsuit skydiving just adds a load of complication

wingsuit base even more so

let's be careful out there ;)

I hate to see my brothers and sisters get hurt, so take it easy and if you're in the general London area from 16-19 Dec, we should brave the British winter and go do a jump or three together!

cya
sam

I'm sure I'll be criticized for this, but I think that pure jump numbers don't mean shit. I've met skydivers with a bunch of jumps that suck and folks with very few jumps that are great. I think the recommended jump numbers for wingsuit flying should be just that... a recommendation. The decision to jump a wingsuit rests with you and your wingsuit instructor, that's it! If you both feel your ready, then do it. B|

I think you're expecting jump numbers to translate into how good someone is at freeflying, fs, crw .. you name it. It doesn't.

What it does translate into is a general idea of how comfortable someone is tossing themselves out of an airplane. If jump numbers don't mean anything why not make that very first jump a solo HALO wingsuit dive? ;)

What's the rush? Take those 200 jumps to get comfortable and learn all you can. Don't get stuck doing freefly or fs for all of them .. shop around. There are so many things to do and so much fun to be had .. try them all!

Like these guys have said before throw away less on unnecessary stuff. I'm a full-time student, and don't work. People always ask me how I even skydive. It's because school and skydiving are ALL I really do. I rarely spend money on other stuff. Course, now temps up here are low 40s on the ground, so pretty harsh at the top (tends to weed out the non-hardcore jumpers very well). Hence my visit to Cali coming up. It comes down to good prioritizing. Hope it helps.

edit: and show some gratitude that youre in Perris instead of Washington or Canada!
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Hey guys,

I said Hypothetically.

So instead of feeling the need to preach :P, can we be Hypothetical?

Cheers,
Kris.

Even hypothetically: NO. I have known Arthur since he was a student and I really like him. That said, he is positively NOT current, nor has he been able to retain current status in the four years since he has been jumping. No, I would not take him up on "20 or 30" currency jumps and then train him to fly a wingsuit with less than the requisite amount of skydives.

Yes, there are a few people out there who have gotten away with jumping a wingsuit prior to achieving what we instructors would consider to be "minimum" skydiving experience, but that is not prudent. The ONLY modern era (post Deug death) skydiving wingsuit fatality was a kid who not only did not have the requisite number of skydives; he did not receive proper instruction on the use of the suit. There is a reason for that: no reputable instructor is going to be willing to sacrifice the safety of the student for ANY reason. 200 jumps in 18 months is a remarkably small thing to ask these days. Beyond that, I won't hesitate to make a person wait till they have the "minimum" 500 jumps.

Jumping a wingsuit is extremely simple when everything goes right. When things go wrong, though, they can get very, very ugly. Even incredily experienced skydivers can have a tough time; just ask Skratch Garrison if you don't believe me.

Chuck Blue
BMCI-4, AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO

Yo!

At 100 jumps, if you dedicate another ~20 jumps to tracking (learning objectives: WS-style exit, symmetric pull, angle of attack control, dealing with spin/instability/potato chipping), you'll fly Prodigy easily and safely.

Prodigy IS prodigy, after all ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

People won't believe on, how similar is to fly a Classic or tracking pants & jacket there are almost the same with out the complication of material between your arms and legs.

But, in order to use the P&J properly and get the maximum performance out of them, you have to be a good tracker.:o

Most people believe that they are really good trackers, even people how fly Wing Suits believe this about themselves. But you take their wings away and you put them in a tracking dive and you can watch them going low. :ph34r:

I can tell you these: Sometimes when I go with my freefly friends in a tracking dive, I have to really work my self out to stay with them.

You are in Perris, there are allot of good freeflyers out there, go in tracking dives practice your skills. All the tracking jumps you do are a preparation for Wing Suit Flying.
And if you really get good at tracking you will pick up a Wing Suit like second nature. So we will be gladly waiting for you to join the flock with our wings open.
;)
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Even hypothetically: NO. I have known Arthur since he was a student and I really like him. That said, he is positively NOT current, nor has he been able to retain current status in the four years since he has been jumping. No, I would not take him up on "20 or 30" currency jumps and then train him to fly a wingsuit with less than the requisite amount of skydives.

Yes, there are a few people out there who have gotten away with jumping a wingsuit prior to achieving what we instructors would consider to be "minimum" skydiving experience, but that is not prudent. The ONLY modern era (post Deug death) skydiving wingsuit fatality was a kid who not only did not have the requisite number of skydives; he did not receive proper instruction on the use of the suit. There is a reason for that: no reputable instructor is going to be willing to sacrifice the safety of the student for ANY reason. 200 jumps in 18 months is a remarkably small thing to ask these days. Beyond that, I won't hesitate to make a person wait till they have the "minimum" 500 jumps.

Jumping a wingsuit is extremely simple when everything goes right. When things go wrong, though, they can get very, very ugly. Even incredily experienced skydivers can have a tough time; just ask Skratch Garrison if you don't believe me.

Chuck Blue
BMCI-4, AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO

I won't say i wasn't a tad dissaapointed that chuck said no:P but I respect his opinion and if he wouldn't do it then I wouldn't trust anyone else that would be willing to.

I have no problem waiting and getting the number of jumps needed to get my nylon wings. It just sucks watching all these designs come out, history in the sport being made and I have to stay on the jungle gym b/c I'm not old enough to get on the swings.:D

Oh well, all in due time. Doesn't mean i'm not gonna sit in on the WS siminar at eloy. :)

It just sucks watching all these designs come out

That only saves you money...As we are all suckers in constantly wanting to own the latest shit..B|

When you get your wings, todays top of the line wil be mid-catogory wingsuits if you're lucky ;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

wouldn't the same wingsuit design require the same amount of skill to fly for someone new?

I'm not sure if the "skill required" vs. "performance" curve is the same as with modern canopies, necessarily (though in many cases it probably is). For example, it would be possible to design a wingsuit that is very difficult to fly (i.e. requires a lot of skill to keep it stable) but also offers poor performance. I think in time suits may, in general, perform better and be easier to fly. But the advanced stuff will always take more skill to fly than the beginner stuff, within the same generation of suit design.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com