ikenever

Russia - World Wing Suit Boogie and Competition

This is your official announcement for the wing suit big-way and completion to be held in Stupino Russia.

Dates: June 22-25, 2006

Agenda:
Extreme big-way
Flight competition (2 weight classes)
Big-way will be from multiple tailgate MI-8 helicopters at a low airspeed. (Ideal for tight grouping) A record may be set!

Competition awards will be first to third in each event, each weight class.

Over all Champion (based on points) will receive the “Chris Martin Memorial Award”

This event will be the week before the Russian National Championships held in Stupino so aircraft availability should be at its best.

If you don't want to participate in big-ways or compete this is still the place to be. Available aircraft to jump are unbelievable!

This dz has on site lodging and food with overflow lodging nearby. This is a first class destination dz with a friendly atmosphere. Arrangements for travel and lodging within Russia can be provided. We can take the head ache out of getting there! For those that would like see a bit of Russia during your visit, our friends there can make anything possible. PM me or Perry for this information.

The director of big-ways will be Perry Trowbridge
The director of competition will be B.J. Alexander

More information to follow!

It sounds like a lot of fun and even an adventure but this year is the Flock & Dock maybe next year I can talk the wife into a 'really exciting' adventure.

Maybe we will meet again at Skyfest?????? It can only get bigger

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I don't know how set in stone the dates are, but in the same week, there is the atmo - wingsuit boogie (22 june/25 june) in France (more info on www.atmonauti.com)

There is a big chance a lot of EU people will opt for that one (in terms of the cheaper travel)?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Jason, wish you and the Prof could show for this one. Especially this one. We are getting an overwhelming response from the Russians and Europeans. The Stupino dz is thrilled. Looks like the manufacturers are also on board. Think about it! Monster tailgate helicopters up the rear! We're talk'in tight 26-way formations in 3 seconds (thats from just 1 helicopter). We have more! Hope to at least see you guys at Skyfest "06"

dont be pussy jarno, you just scared we fly to far for u?

Yea...all you skinny bastards:P
This hunk of Dutch meat wil be watching everyone open on contest jumps when I've already landed hehehe

But Costyn & I (GOD we sound like a gay coupleB|) are more then heavily tempted to come to russia...no worries!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thoughts on competition.

The weight classes are a decent idea, but I have some comments that hopefully aren't too critical.

First, what exactly is the type of competition? Nothing was said about that. I'm assuming, based on the weight class comment, that it will be either time, distance, or some combination thereof. Now, as guilty as I am of chasing numbers sometimes :), I do not think this is the best way to go about shaping the evolution of wingsuit competition.

Competition, in any discipline, is what makes it grow and brings in new people. I think that if we take wingsuit competitions (unarguably a new frontier) into the direction of number chasing, we will approach something akin to speed skydiving, that does not gain a mass interest, and honestly isn't that fun. (no offense, speed skydivers - I'm actually interested in it)

The time/distance idea is not a wholly bad one, but cannot be the only mode of competition if we wish to further our sport. There simply has to be a more compelling (especially in the eyes of a non-flocker) mode of competition. What that is, I'm not sure. This is where we need to start throwing ideas out there. As I said, we're at a new frontier, and we shape the way this sport goes. I for one want to see it get bigger, the way that freeflying did, so I can go to any DZ in my country, and count on running into some local talent and having some fun flying partners. So again, let's throw out the ideas.

The only two I can think of are spinoffs of current competitive modes in FS and FF: sequential and artistic competitions.

- Sequential 2, 3, or 4-way dives. The judging of a successful sequence would be an issue to overcome, since it is not possible with current flying skills (or ever, arguably) to quickly make, break, and re-make multi-person docks in a wingsuit.

- 2-way acrobatic routines with outside camerawork being included in the "artistic judging". These could also have compulsory sequential maneuvers: barrel rolls, backflying, etc.

I am more interested in the 2nd option, and think it has a more viable future, both for us, and for bringing the sport to the masses. In my opinion one reason FF is so much more appealing to the young crowd (over FS) is because of the variety of artistic moves, and the beauty it provides to the spectator (vs FS).

Again, I'm guilty with my two ideas above of simply copying current competition modes from other parts of skydiving. But there have got to be even more options out there that I am overlooking. Some creative mind out there can come up with something cool. I was told once quite some time ago, a somewhat "secretive" competition idea about using GPS/HUD to make flyers fly a pre-programmed trajectory through the sky, judging how quick they are able to make speed and direction maneuvers. Not sure what the status of this is, nor can I say more - but it's an example of a novel idea. So, people, THROW SOME IDEAS OUT THERE. ;)

If we do try to do something that has never been done (a 2-way acrobatic competition for example) it will for sure be a little rough around the edges. We may not be sure exactly how to go about things, or how to decide who gets first place. But that's the burden of pioneering. We have to start somewhere, and a "giant fucking wingsuit boogie in Russia" sounds like as good a place as any, to me.

Thoughts? :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

111 You are right on every account. No you aren't being critical. I think I share the same frustrations. Thats why I'm trying to start somewhere. This will be the second competition that I have ran in Russia. I went to school on the first one by recognizing judging flaws. Ya know... when just one competitive round gets scrapped because of a judging error or the accuracy of that judgment is in question, it effects everyone involved. Everyone.

If I were to receive registrations from organized teams (fliers and camera person) I would include a artistic event. If... the camera person was unable to frame the team so that they could be judged clearly that team would score a "zero".

If there are teams out there that are at the judgable level that have the skills to be scored by a jury by June 22, 2006 an artistic event will take place.

At THIS moment the two events planned would be considered classics. They will be done at a lower altitude than what we are used to. This will make each flight on each round judgable for each participant. The events will be racing and distance.

This objective of the competition is to enjoy, meet new friends, learn, exchange ideas and grow. This is why we are encouraging even our newest fliers to join in.

I am sure that there are a couple of teams that no one has heard of practicing out of some old broken down Cessna in some small village or town that is going to take us all by storm. I can't wait for them boys and girls to surface.

I went to school on the first one by recognizing judging flaws. Ya know... when just one competitive round gets scrapped because of a judging error or the accuracy of that judgment is in question, it effects everyone involved. Everyone.

I know your frustration. This is something I have been working on for some time now. In order to get FAI recognition as a discipline there is going to have to be a set of rules and judging criteria just like all of the scored events currently out there. The other major problem is that there are several different types of events that could possibly be done with wingsuits besides distance and time competitions. This makes not only the judging criteria harder to identify but also the fact that there are very few people right now who have the required skill to actually compete in some of the other possible events. It makes no sense to create an event that no one is capable of even competeing in at this point due to lack of either skill sets or lack of there being no teams who have actually flown together and practiced the approved dive pool.

I have identified several different types of events besides the distance /time events that will challenge even some of todays better flyers and it is these events that I am focusing on as it is the inevitable evolution of the sport as more people become involved in Wingsuiting and the skill set as a whole of the pilots out there continues to increase. Right now I am working on the rules/judging criteria and the possible dive pools and flows of the different events. This is the hardest part of the whole process as there has to be an established set of rules for judging/ rounds/dive pools ,etc for the FAI to even consider looking at Wingsuiting as an event. There is a whole process as to how to do this that I won't bore you with here. It's a pain in the ass at times but if we are to ever evolve past the impromptu type events being held here and there and actually be recognized as a discipline, it will eventually have to be done. My goal is to get wingsuiting recognized as a discipline an eventualy to see wingsuit team competition at the the Nationals and World level.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ws flying is infent, does anyone remember when just to make a 10 way star was the goal??? lets start simple, and go from there, as we grow in # and skills, we can change! But lets crawl and show others to crawl and before long??? Kids still play "stickball" all over the world when baseball equipment isnt available...if we dont start somewhere???
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

But lets crawl and show others to crawl and before long???

Exactly. When Perry and I sat down and discussed/planned this event in Z-hills the goal was to keep it simple but with a larger goal in mind. This is one among many WS events that will lead to that goal and allow wingsuiting to become more. Perry did you get my last e-mail?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Planned what event?

A wingsuit boogie and competition, after we discussed the possible formats and such, the location was picked, but that later fell through and Perry brought Russia up. Perry did some digging around and was able to relocate the event to Russia as you well know.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

But lets crawl and show others to crawl and before long??? Kids still play "stickball" all over the world when baseball equipment isnt available

You are right Perry. I think too far ahead sometimes, and it is probably best to allow this sport to develop at a natural safe pace, rather than to rush it. Stickball is still fun. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

- Sequential 2, 3, or 4-way dives. The judging of a successful sequence would be an issue to overcome, since it is not possible with current flying skills (or ever, arguably) to quickly make, break, and re-make multi-person docks in a wingsuit.

I have to comment that I don't agree with this. Jarno and I have been practicing some sequentials, where I first dock on Jarno's right, then let go, fly over him onto his left and dock again. We then let go, and he flies over me to my left side and docks, and so on. Granted, we've only done this on a couple jumps, and we don't get that many docks in yet, but it's definitely possible. With more practice I don't see why you could not do similar things with 3 or 4 people.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News