kallend

Canopy choice

After a couple of interesting (!) experiences I have decided that my Stiletto is not optimal for use with my wingsuit!

I'm looking for a used canopy in the 135 - 150 range just for WS use. Any suggestions? Spectre, Sabre II, ????

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My Spectre has worked fine for near 300 jumps. I have a Pilot coming in... I put some demo jumps on it and it ROCKED. We were video debriefing a flock, and after I broke off and was flying solo, the screen shook for a second and then it looked like I was still flying. Twenty seconds later (volume was muted), someone says "did you pull yet"? I wasn't even sure, but just then on the screen you saw me look up at a canopy to collapse my slider. If that didn't make sense - the opening was so damn smooth that watching the video you couldn't even tell it was an opening, without having the volume turned up!

I demoed a Sabre2 and it seemed to take a bit more concentration to keep it out of twists (compared to what I'm used to - a forgiving Spectre) - but even with twists it flew great. With the Pilot you don't even have to think about body position. The few twists I got were untwisting themselves (fast) before I could touch the risers.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Optimal/safest: docile 7cell like Spectre, Triathlon etc
1 step above that, a square 9 cell (Sabre etc)
And more fun: Sabre2, Safire 1/2, Pilot, Silhouette etc
Diablos also makes nice WS canopies.

My own WS canopy is a Spectre 135, I like it but I like the Pilot 124 much better, solid as hell for WS jumps. Safire2 119 was also quite good.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

John

Consider trying a Nitron/Nitro, and I know you'll love it for your wingsuit. ;)
The shorter lines and the HMA are great. I have 1000+ wingsuit openings on 108 and 98, only a few with line twists more then 180, and only one that I can say dove toward the ground with line twists.
I have 0 cutaways with my wingsuit. ;)

Shit, did I just jinx myself? :o:D

just my .02

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I love my Sabre 2 (about 200 wingsuit jumps on it now) but as someone else said you have to be careful with body position as it does tend to have a mind of it's own while opening. It is a fun canopy to fly and does tend to stay overhead and untwist on it's own when things don't go perfectly.

My weapon of choice for wingsuiting is my Sabre2 97. It does everything I need it to do and, plus, has a great swoop.

If you are looking for a wingsuit-specific, safe, straight opening main but you don't want to spend a lot of money, you might want to just pick up a used original Sabre.

Chuck

Yo,

I've tried Spectre, Sabre II, Vengence, Saffire...and some LARGE 7-cells;), but for skydiving my wingsuits I prefer the PILOT over all others I've tried. The openings are why I went with it, but it also flies and lands great for me loaded at about 1.25 lbs/sq.foot. And because its a midrange 9-cell, it works well with other sub-disciplines I enjoy.....tracking, video, freefly etc.
YMMV,
Blair

Consider trying a Nitron/Nitro

I was going to suggest the same thing. Chris put me on a Fusion and then on a 150 and a 135 Nitron and i fell in love with it. I found it tremendously stable for wing suiting, even though it's elliptical.

Plus it's really fun to land :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I'll be flying my suit with a spectre or a pilot loaded between 1.1 and 1.4 and both work well.
7 cells would be the best choice, but if you want a little more performance then a pilot (over a sabre2) would be a good choice.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I'm very happy with my safire 1 in every aspect. I psycho pack it everytime and get beautiful openings almost always. The only time I've gotten bad line twists was with a toggle release on opening cause of a worn toggle keeper. It's a great beginner swooping canopy too.
----------
gravity rat formula 109
Team Gonzo and Team Jamaican Me Crazy
no bullshit, let's just fly, be safe, and have fun.

opening characteristics - mainly the forgiveness of the canopy durning deployment with a poor body position. We know kallend has some trouble with that ;)

Openings are opening, 7 or 9 cell.....

Canopy chioce and good packing techniques are always good, but there is no excuse for bad body position at pull time, and possibly the choice of wingsuit they have chosen is too much for the skydiver that is flying it.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Why would you think that?

opening characteristics - mainly the forgiveness of the canopy durning deployment with a poor body position. We know kallend has some trouble with that ;)

Dang - you found me out!:o

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

opening characteristics - mainly the forgiveness of the canopy durning deployment with a poor body position.
----------------------------------------------------------
I agree... I got rid of my occasionally hard opening and erratic Sabre 190 and went to a Spectre 190.. nice, soft, onheading openings, even when I haven't bled off much forward speed... at the end of a w/s jump, the last things I want to be concerned with is canopy performance... just get me softly to the ground.:)

ever since I put my S3 on, I rarely leave the plane without it, so last year it was time for a new canopy and wingsuit compatibility was the main priority

I tried as many suitable seeming canopies as I could get my hands on (liked a Spectre 135 a lot) and then went to Eloy for the holiday boogie and demo'd some more canopies...

Nitro 135 - I liked it, but liked the 120 more.

Nitro 120 - I liked this so much I bought it.

Pilot 124 - maybe marginally nicer openings than the Nitro, but not nearly as fun to fly

Safire2 129 - the demo canopy was pretty beat up and needed new lines, so no surprise I didn't like the way it flew or opened...

my exit weight is 200 lbs

I have been really happy with the Nitro 120 ( I have about 200 wingsuit jumps with it now).

get Beezy to send you a demo or borrow one, you'll be glad you did! :D

the only possible downside to the Nitro is that it is so forgiving while in linetwists, that it's made me kinda lazy/sloppy at pulltime, I just throw something out there and see what happens, sometimes I get a fun little ride, but they always work fine...

PS - you get to make up all kinds of cool names for the winglets and what they do!

soon to be gone

:P
I've got a used ZP with experimental valves cut in the bottom going cheap. --------------- major bonus -------------it actually goes back up in high speed flight .

I've also heard that if you cut the end cells off a stilleto the thing actually improves its opening performances.

Let us know how it goes.

:)