kallend

Canopy choice

Why would you think that?

opening characteristics - mainly the forgiveness of the canopy durning deployment with a poor body position. We know kallend has some trouble with that ;)

Dang - you found me out!:o

What happened?

Kris.

Line twists on my Stiletto. I don't think 1600 jumps on a Stiletto before getting a spinner is TOO bad of a record.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know this is a late reply to this thread, but I jump a Pilot 168 with my GTi. I am sponsered by Aerodyne. I only have about 60 wingsuit jumps. I have this canopy loaded about 1.6 to 1. Fun canopy to fly and VERY consistant openings. I had Sabre2 190 previously, and although fun to fly, it was not very consistant on opening. Even after the new lines.:S:P
Blue Skies, Safe Flights, COLD BEER,
Bad Andy
S&TA
D-24545

Second that for the Sabre2. I bought one brand new at a ridiculously conservative loading (0.9) over 2 years ago specifically to optimize my chances of surviving my first few years of wingsuit flying.
Was a good investment, and paid off well when things went weird on me a few times. That puppy gets me home every time unless I brainfart and fly 5 miles in the wrong direction, and pretty much ignores line twists while you learn how to not get twisted. Thing DOES like to hunt for a heading sometimes, kinda bobs its nose around and occasionally gets it into its head to hang a randomly chosen turn right after opening if I'm a bit asymmetrical. I think there is a brief window in time during deployment during which it is extraordinarily sensitive to body position. When I learned to stop overcontrolling and sit back and ride through the deployment as opposed to actively flying the deployment its performance became much more consistent. Overall I found it a perfect canopy for my first few hundred or so, and gets me back from longer spots and bigger errors than a Triathlon will.
Most likely will get another smaller Sabre2 for my next ride.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I know I am biased here (due to Aerodyne sponsership), but I have ALOT (about 800-900) jumps on a Sabre2. The Pilot glides ALOT flatter than the SA2. I have gotten back from ridiciously long spots with that thing. The SA2 glides flat too, but the Pilot glides like a tandem. hahaha. But seriously, it has a VERY flat glide.
Blue Skies, Safe Flights, COLD BEER,
Bad Andy
S&TA
D-24545

Well, I can't debate your statement at all, having never flown a Pilot... I WILL say I spend so much time apehanging off the rear risers I almost never actually experience the thing's default glide. It just sort of became habit...I flew myself out of range so many times and used risers to get home that that extended range itself became the norm for me. So my personal taste for Sabre2's is mostly based on its resistance to diving in twists and the range you can get out of it IF you don't mind hanging by your arms for 5 minutes while the wind you were smart enough to put yourself "up" carries you home from the ridiculous location you weren't smart enough not to fly to. It creates the marvellously effective illusion that I know how to fly a canopy. Just so long as I make it home often enough to look like I earned my D, the illusion is good enough for me.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.