voodew1

Flock and Dock 2

Heh, I've been emailing Scott Bland about this myself, for the past couple days. I can't speak with any authority but I am pretty damn sure it will be at Zhills. And sometime in March, if I had to guess. I invited Norman Kent this weekend and he wants to come if the dates are right, so I also want to get them hammered down soon.

Scott Bland, where are you? :P:)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Barring anything unforeseen those dates are set in stone. The ad and registration should be up before too long.

For those of you planning to attend, let's hear your thoughts on what sounds fun ... big ways, vertical formations, aerobatics, sequential ... let me know!

Scott

Organizing wingsuit dives actually has more in common with CRW than RW, except that wingsuit flying adds in the "no-contact" element!

I've found the larger dives offer lots of opportunities for new folks to build skills by chasing the formation from behind. Large formations set an easy catch fall rate/forward speed that helps them out a lot. More experienced folks come up front while those with less experience are in back. It's pretty easy to pick out folks on the video who are doing well and bring them forward or to find folks who are moving around and move them back where they have more room.

This generally comes after we do a few smaller lines and wedge dives with lesser experienced folks to improve their confidence.

The 3D stuff is a necessary component of big-ways as they approach 25+. Stacking a diamond, wedge or line over the base offers more opportunities for docking slots and better traffic management with multiple aircraft than a purely flat formation. But, since I'm usually the base and I don't enjoy having people fall on me I usually have more experienced people in the vertical part.

The problem with vertical formations is that folks usually let themsleves slide backwards towards the lower person's burble, even though we emphasize that you should be slightly ahead of the person below. Being slightly behind makes it more likely (I've seen it twice) that someone will fall on the lower person.

In all this the ability to hold your slot and not zoom around is essential. This isn't as exciting as back-flying and aerobatics, but it sure makes for some incredible pictures and cool video as the camera-person flies around the formation. To help folks out in the larger formations we're planning on having secondary bases so that people can concentrate on flying relative to someone closer to them than the primary base.

Sequential is much more difficult and the skill level is higher. Burble avoidance is the key when designing the dives. Flat transistions are fairly easy, but the size of the dive needs to be 9 or 16 maximum.

My $0.02

Scott

I was thinking stuff even smaller than that, like 4 or 6 ways to start, to allow people to do more flying. Sort of the same idea as 4 way belly is a lot more flying ( and learning) than 40 way RW. Spread out the experienced people, so the lower timers can get coaching, and then start pulling the groups together to make bigger and bigger stuff as the weekend goes on.

I do see your point about letting less experienced people chase a formation, though.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Very cool idea! I'm mad I didn't think of it first!

EDIT: How about we get all BM and PF flyers to form two groups and fly straight at each other, and take a pre-impact picture and call it the brandwar dive? Sorry, I can't resist making jokes about the brandwars... :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

For those of you planning to attend, let's hear your thoughts on what sounds fun ... big ways, vertical formations, aerobatics, sequential ... let me know!

I always love doing bigways and vertical bigways, but sequentials would be fun too.

The free jumps I won last year expire after 1 year (in March)! Anyone wanna buy 5 jumps? Or do you think they'll honor them?

-Jenn

But you are going to come to Z-Flock 2 right!? It needs the Dutch touch!!

I'm going to try and get Costyn (and maybe Tristan the toothless-wonder as well?) together and see if we can score some cheep tickets to the US around that time..
Would be awesome!! But I think it's something we can only decide a short while before the actual event..

Just a little scared though, that people will find out that I'm actualy not a jumper, and I'm just animating and photoshopping my whole skydiving career together in my attic :P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?