dhracer33

The Neptune Challenge....

I think someone died from a bad landing in DeLand ~2 years ago, from landing out in a tight spot on a wingsuit jump. The suit was a fairly direct cause since it allowed him to get to where he opened/landed.

I made my first wingsuit jump on that load. The jumpers briefed the pilot on the spot (load was all wingsuits, except a tandem pair that exited long before the wingsuits), but the pilot failed to put the plane in the proper place, and failed to inform jumpers about the different spot.

While obviously other things had to go wrong for a bad spot to result in a fatality, it was the initial link in a chain of things going wrong for the jumper.

I would consider the spot a much larger contributor to the fatality than the suit.

Before I left the plane, my BMI told me to "forget the dive plan. The spot sucks. Fly straight back to the DZ."

I think someone died from a bad landing in DeLand ~2 years ago, from landing out in a tight spot on a wingsuit jump. The suit was a fairly direct cause since it allowed him to get to where he opened/landed.

Not at all accurate, Matt. James simply followed the rabbit (Asaf Fischelson) in the wrong direction for too long before turning for the DZ. He was not the only one that landed off on that jump. James's death was solely a result of making a low turn under canopy in order to avoid a traffic light pole that he did not see until he got too close to it. Tragic, but in no way, shape or form related to the fact that he had a wingsuit on.

Chuck

alright... ill try this again since my last post mysteriously "dissappeared"...

Perry "Chainsaw Trowbridge" wimped out on his "low pull rig" this weekend and dumped at 1000 feet while flying a Prodigy from a helicopter. We all went "I thought Perry was going to dump low", but such was not the case.

i hardly think that 1000ft agl opening altitude on a skydiving rig, regardless of main canopy selection, should be considered "wimping out" considering that

1) the main canopy is dbagged... (as far as i know on this particular rig...) skyhook or no

2)1grand is pretty much on the wire between just enough/not enough time to respond to any possible deployment issues and still get a landable canopy out ..

3) was it late in the day? i know it was at the end of the boogie..maybe he didnt feel like tempting fate after a long weekend just because some people on the ground "thought perry was going to dump low.."

lets not forget that he also flew same prodigy from 876' ..... there arent many out there who can claim the same...

if you want to get into a w/s lowpull contest, perry probably isnt the one you want to challenge...

and if you really want to start having fun... lets do it with single parachute systems
at the beach.

drunk.:P

I'd spent a few months BASE jumping without skydives and developed some habits that were bad for skydiving.

That's interesting. I find that BASE jumping makes me a more conservative skydiver.

Tom, you appear to be under the impression that I'm not an idiot. Well, let's set the record straight: I'm one shiny can short of a tool shed. ;)

thats like saying someone that ate it in on an off landing after a tracking dive died b/c of the track dive.

Yes, it is like that. If you track yourself to a spot where you can't survive a parachute landing, tracking was a cause. As was your inability to land a parachute in that location.

Most incidents have more than one "cause". One of the most important safety issues when learning to fly a wingsuit is knowing WHERE to fly it.

it is not a cause, it is a "contributing factor"

more than 2 contributing factor usually add to many accidents.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...