LouDiamond

Cold Weather..

is apon us or soon to be depending on where you live. Just a friendly reminder that the addition of long underwear, gloves,etc can change the way things feel from suit fit to ones hackey and handles. Do a quick review on the ground once you add all those cold weather items to check your normal range of motion and what things feel like with thick gloves on. Better to be surprised on the ground than up in the sky. Be safe and have fun;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

is apon us or soon to be depending on where you live. Just a friendly reminder that the addition of long underwear, gloves,etc can change the way things feel from suit fit to ones hackey and handles. Do a quick review on the ground once you add all those cold weather items to check your normal range of motion and what things feel like with thick gloves on. Better to be surprised on the ground than up in the sky. Be safe and have fun;)

Bump.

PS: Happy now?:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Our local para shop has a check to see if gloves you buy are suitable for jumping: can you tie your shoelaces with your gloves on?

I'm guessing boxing gloves are out... :P

I wear vintage Nike's with velcro straps instead of shoelaces, so Im ok with the boxing gloves;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Tony Suits without a wing cutaway are particularly sensitive to bulky clothing, even in cold weather your arms should have only a snug light layer. Bulk up on your torso not your arms with these suits, sleeveless vests work well.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

One jumped in swiss and forgot to take my gloves in -18°C in 8k ft. Took me 3 month until the fingers were no longer over-sensitive.

I use lookma's swooping gloves. OK for most of the time - still look for the perfect glove in extremely cold conditions.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

, and dont forget kids to wear knee pads in case you slip on the ice on the ground if its really cold. And if its really cold we can always wrap you up in cotton wool on the flight line just incase you forgot to do something for yourself. Do we have to point out the obvious to those who should know better, or should I just wait to read about them in the darwin awards if we dont point out the obvious.:P

Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Spring ski gloves are a good option. Usually they are thin but provide good wind protection. I use Rossignol Spring gloves. I make sure I am able to easily grasp handles, zippers, etc before trying new gloves. Jumping in the upper midwest you learn some tips and tricks. Also silk glove liners inside light skydive gloves are another option.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

"Found" this a few weeks ago; if things get REALLY cold or depending on your own personal "discomfort" threshold; Gerbing Heated Gear. They are known better for heated underclothing gear that plugs into a 12 V system of a motorcycle, ATV, or Snowmobile.

But they also make a HEATED VEST THAT RUNS ON a SMALL BATTERY POWER PACK THAT YOU HAVE ON THE VEST. Not only could you use this for skydiving but perhaps skiing or other prolong cold exposure in outdoor activities.

The reason our hands ( and other extremities ) get cold is because your body is noticing your core temperature starting to drop so it reduces blood circulation to your hands to keep your torso warm; keep you torso warm and you keep blood flow ( hence warmth ) to your hands.

Frank Thomas "Anti-Freeze" Baklava is really thin; is designed to fit under all kinds of helmets well; and seals out the cold wind around my neck between my helmet and wingsuit. If I need extra "insulation" a I have found a fleece neck gaitor works well and still allows me to keep my head on a swivel and not feel like how momma used to "bundle me up" before going out to play in the snow as a kid.

I have found Uncle Mikes Neoprene Motorcycle Police shooting gloves give great finger dexterity to operate firearms even when the gloves get wet under cold winter conditions and work parachute handles / equipment quite well in cold weather.

"Funny" thing is I have never felt "bitter chilling cold" zipped up in my "sweatbag wingsuit" sitting up by the pilot and the adrenaline in flight over rides any cold I might feel; but many times I have found that its does feel cold hanging outside in the weather all day on the DZ all day in winter between loads

Ive been jumping gloves with heating for a year or so when it gets really cold. The company that makes em also has vests, pants, etc

That aside, our seating arrangements in the plane (close to the cockpit, away from the door) always also help a lot in being less chilly than those freeflyers or fs teams sitting near the door:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?