skydivingdutch

Got my new Phantom today!

Woooo hooo - Too bad it came on monday :S
Now I have to wait a whole damn week to try in out!

The suit has amazing workmanship, it's very well constructed. The leading edges of the arm wings are padded wich is really comfortable and the wing grippers are awesome.

http://www.dropman.com/phantom.jpg

Update to follow after this weekend ;)

http://dropman.com

how does the Phantom compare to the GTi??

edit to clarify that i'm not making a joke, i'd like to know.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

It appears that the Phantom far out performs the GTi (of course it's always pilot dependent).

The comparison is a little unfair because the GTi is an older generation (RP1) of suit, I'm surprised it hasn't been completely replaced by the Firebird.

The Prodigy with it's large back deflector and wide leg is probably 'as good' as a GTi. From what i've heard and seen the Phantom is closer to the S3 than the GTi in terms of performance.

But don't get hung up on the performance, if you are jumping from an airplane does it really matter? Few people fly their wingsuits to the maximum on a skydive.

It's a wingsuit - just learn to fly it and have fun. Stop worrying about who has the better suit, and worry about who flys their suit better.

that statment should become law, with all the new suits and pilots, we can only grow stroger by sticken together and flying, not picken or slammen each other....each suit has a purpose,as each of us has a path to follow, welcome to the wing world!!!
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

From what i've heard and seen the Phantom is closer to the S3 than the GTi in terms of performance.

Yep, that was my experience as well, when kicking the Phantom into high gear (extending legs and pointing toes), an S3(S) will have trouble keeping up with the Phantom in terms of forward speed. Unfortunately it is more difficult to fly at low forward speeds due to the somewhat smaller arm wings (but we discussed this to death in another thread already ;)). So, to conclude, it beats the pants off a GTI.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Unfortunately it is more difficult to fly at low forward speeds due to the somewhat smaller arm wings (but we discussed this to death in another thread already ;)).

The same thing was said about the V1 when people first started jumping it (and is still said by some), but I have seen skilled pilots fly it with very slow (forwards) flocks. I'm pretty sure any suit can be slown down quite a bit by some combination of leg inputs, you just have to figure them out.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The same thing was said about the V1 when people first started jumping it (and is still said by some), but I have seen skilled pilots fly it with very slow (forwards) flocks. I'm pretty sure any suit can be slown down quite a bit by some combination of leg inputs, you just have to figure them out.

Oh I don't argue that at all. I know the Phantom can be flown at slower speeds, but it takes more skill/practice than an S3 for example. Like you say, you just have to figure it out. The huge arm wings on the S3(S) make it easy for anyone with little experience on the suit to fly a slow flock.

Cheers

Yep, that was my experience as well, when kicking the Phantom into high gear (extending legs and pointing toes), an S3(S) will have trouble keeping up with the Phantom in terms of forward speed.

I think replacing the suit names with the flyers names would be more honest.
The two flyers chasing you on that jump in S3S were only a few meters behind you, and where keeping up with you and matching your speed. Just not overtaking you. But I put this down more on pilot skill.

Since on the 2 next jumps during that same weekend, the guy leading the flock in his S3S during a couple of the high speed/distance races beat the rest of by half a mile or so. Both in speed and distance..and S3S and S3 flyers came in second/third/forth...and phantom didnt manage to catch up.
Even though it was all the excact same flyers on the exact same type of jump.

I think there is a big difference in the way people fly when looking ahead to the flock or flyers they try to catch up with, compared to someone leading a flock, just doing a 'maxed out solo' way of flying.

Mentioning that the excact thing (flyers not catching up) happened again on the next jumps, but the other way around (with way more difference in terms of distance), would have been nice too...

I have a bit of difficulty with people saying it's 'the suit' when it's in ones favour...and suddenly blaming it on pilot-skill when it's in anothers favour.

In terms of speed (although no doubt, phantom is fast, and rates above a GTi) I think you credit too much to the suit, and too little to yourself.
Remember that you where already giving people a hard time in your classic B|:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Oh, you're probably right. I don't know. I guess its hard for anyone to make a objective analysis when they've only done a few jumps on the suits. Anyways, I don't think we should discuss this any more until some people have significant jump numbers on both suits and can give a more detailed impression of the suits. I'm planning on getting them both eventually anyways. B|

Cheers

Also Ordered New Phantom yesterday from Morpheus.
I think I must have a sub-conscience NEED for a WS change after making tail modification .in GTI last week to up performance.
From what I have been reading here and from what friends have told me that are also excellent ws pilots.
The Phantom is turning out to be more than expected for Range and Speed with excellent Glide-Ratio.
So I guess it's goodbye to my long time friend GTi. We have had good times together.........[:/]

Also Ordered New Phantom yesterday from Morpheus.
The Phantom is turning out to be more than expected for Range and Speed with excellent Glide-Ratio.
So I guess it's goodbye to my long time friend GTi. We have had good times together.........[:/]

You won't be dissapointed, guaranteed. ;) First few flights are a real treat; eye opening. Of course, while you wait you could continue homebuilt experiments...? :)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957