skydiva1978

Want to try Birdman, Not a lot of jumps though

Here's the deal... I met a skydiver who was getting out of birdman and is willing to sell his gear for CHEAP--the suit and rig. He's a small guy so it should fit me.

The question is, will I have any problems using the birdman rig? Also, I'd really like to try the suit out, so how many jumps should I get before I start using it?
"You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation.."

http://www.bird-man.com/?n=faq

I was looking into jumping a wingsuit at summerfest. I was told by LouDiamond that I needed ~200 jumps to go with an instructor, and 500 to go alone. I'd hold off on the wingsuit, there's plenty of fun to be had before you add complexity.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Here's the deal... I met a skydiver who was getting out of birdman and is willing to sell his gear for CHEAP--the suit and rig. He's a small guy so it should fit me.

The question is, will I have any problems using the birdman rig? Also, I'd really like to try the suit out, so how many jumps should I get before I start using it?

You'll probably have better luck asking this in the Wingsuit forum, but I've heard at least 500+ jumps, or 200+ if working with a Bird-Man Instructor..;)

First off recommended by the USPA is 200 jumps within 18 months before flying a wingsuit with instruction

As for the gear question without knowing what it is that is a loaded question -- I would assume that the main is smaller than you should be jumping at this point and time in your skydiving career (wingloading issue)
The rig shouldn't be any different than other rigs -- may have cut corners or a longer bridle which makes packing a little harder but operation of the rig will not change

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

First off recommended by the USPA is 200 jumps within 18 months before flying a wingsuit with instruction

and that usually requires a bunch of tracking dives as well as it gets you used to the concept...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

You list Rockville, MD as an address, yet Skydive San Diego as your home DZ. As has been stated already in this thread, the major suit manufacturers mandate and USPA "reccommends" that a person has at least 200 skydives (in 18 months) prior to getting trained to fly a wingsuit. We will generally not train a person with under 500 jumps who intends to jump without supervision. Technically, at 500 jumps you can do what you like, but proper instruction/coaching really does a great deal in making it a fun, safe experience.

Chuck

I'd turn this down.

You're not ready for wingsuits, and when you are, there may be far better designs around than the suit you are thinking about buying.

As for the gear, I'd need to know what harness, main and reserve it has in order to tell if it is suitable for your current experience level.

t
It's the year of the Pig.