veter_

Flying topless...

(that is, in Prodigy without the top - gotcha! :P) is a lot of fun!!!

The thrust is incredible - 1.75mi horizontally from 13.5K to 5.5K without even really trying, glide ratio in best parts of the dive about 1.5, horizontal speeds ~90mph, 90s delays from 13.5 to 3.5... It's tracking on steroids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

It's a little twitchy, because those small corrective inputs from your arm wings you don't even notice are gone now and you fly 99% with your legs. Your body is at about 10-20 degrees to horizon - not head low at all, and at deployment just close legs and pull normally (I prefer to open from full track, WS style).

Yuri

i had to make a jump just like that when one of my wings came loose... i just took in my arms and spread my legs. the forward speed was awesome albeit a bit unstable... I like the ease and safety features of the suit. I think it is great for learning on.
I am a big guy though and do not think the suit has enough wing for me... but thats probably cause I only have like 10 WS jumps... so what would I know anyway.... just my $.02 whicha are probably only worth $.005
peace,
danny
b
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I'm going to have to try that someday...half a suit?
Damn.
You know Rich, tandem master out at the home DZ just scored a freaking Vamp suit.
Just spent the day jumping with him and Alex.
Bouncing off the walls again.
I bet 50 bucks that at least right now my grin is bigger than your grin.:)I'm beat to shit, sunburned as hell, shoulder slightly screwed up, hands cut and damaged in a number of small ways due to harness bite and some mechanical work. I got a camera full of awesome footage, put another 20 miles on my suit and I'm packing a grin that'd scare the devil.
Some days nothing sucks.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Brian, you are the world champion in wingsuit enthusiasm! I'm humbly taking the second place. ;) I enjoyed your videos, and I'll definitely start screaming with joy in flight like you do (I'm starting flying camera soon).

Counting jumps in miles flown? Excellent idea! Who needs altimeters, we want odometers!!! :D Who will it be, the first person to circumvent the Earth in wingsuit? :)

...I'm working on it.
Got a new project now. Webbed gloves, perhaps with itty bitty airfoils, see if I can't play with some wingtip vortexes, stuff em under the wing make em do something useful. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing which means I have no preconceptions and therefore a decent chance of getting somewhere interesting. Or just wasting a lot of time and looking foolish. Pick one. If anybody's already thoroughly explored this area feel free to PM me and tell me to piss off cause you been there done that and it don't work. Or not.

Cancer Chris has been jumping with webbed gloves for the past 2 + years with his wingsuit on a very constant basis. In fact, i can't think of a time I've jumped with Chris when he didn't have the gloves on.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I popped both wing snaps last weekend backflying the Prodigy. Rolled belly down and the suit flew great. Easily kept up with a small flock that included a first-time wingsuiter. Stable, fast forward, plenty of lift. I was impressed but I'd like to try the suit with the wings on though.:P
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

And do they do anything for him? Measurable improvement? Just jumps em for the feel? What effect if any do they have? I know you can get some nice hard lift on your hand, you stick your arm out the car window at 70, that same thrust pushing up on you ought to cancel out a few more pounds worth of gravity if you're flying...but flying palms-down spoils the airfoil by pointing my elbows back instead of up... I get much better flight with palms vertical thumbs pointed straight down which is counterintuitive as all hell, the gains in efficiency outweigh the impact of not having my hands as additional surface area. Go figure.

And do they do anything for him?

I think Chris could best answer that. But based on his constant use of them I would have to say that he feels there is an added benefit from them. It does make for weird docks and he gets the ass if you pull the glove off:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I personally think that even if there is a aerodynamic benefit to gloves (which I'm iffy about), it's not as good as the benefit of holding your grippers. So I'd rather hold my grippers. :)
And I'm pretty sure I've heard Chris say he just likes the way they feel for grabbing his hack. It is fun to try to steal them in flight though. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

in reply 2 "Got a new project now. Webbed gloves, perhaps with itty bitty airfoils, see if I can't play with some wingtip vortexes, stuff em under the wing make em do something useful. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing which means I have no preconceptions and therefore a decent chance of getting somewhere interesting"

Like your attitude buddy....;)

I've had a few ideas similar to what you've suggested and if I may suggest something .....How about miniature glove wings a bit like body surfing paddles . These are wing-like flat planing surfaces used by body surfers to improve their surfing abilities..

If the hands went on top of these you may get a significant extension to the wing span. (if each one reached out an extra 6inches or so.)
I've been doing this with different shapes by putting them out the window as I drive (on deserted roads.)

Just playing around with them but I can see what you're getting at. This idea could grow into something good.

Some of the best ideas are developed by relatively unskilled and un-educated people through trial and error rather than computer equations and such.

Good luck with it.:)

Yeah sounds consistent with what I've been experiencing. The 'paddles ' winglets ' whatevers seem to be very sensitive to being correctly aligned . when well balanced though you can really feel the powerful lift even at lowish speeds.

When they get higher airspeed over them they tend to easily flip over or under and get blown backwards.

When swept back though this tendency is reduced.

How these would affect deployment is a bit of a concern. Thought they could be just released to flap or fold behind. Its fun playing with though.:)

Cancer Chris has been jumping with webbed gloves for the past 2 + years with his wingsuit on a very constant basis. In fact, i can't think of a time I've jumped with Chris when he didn't have the gloves on.

I can definitely think of a time when Chris wish he didn't have his web gloves on though!