AnitaFlick

Why Look up to Idiots?

I have always wondered why base jumpers look up to the stupid jumpers who you wouldnt bet any money on them living a long or very healthy life? For instance Jeb Corliss, I hear people talk about how great he is and have yet to see it. Has he been involved with dangerous stunts, Yes. Did they work out very well, Sometimes.

I hear he is thinking about landing a wingsuit I think that is a great idea, maybe he should fly over the top of a bridge then land without a parachute then just to make it really stupid.

Just my .02

This is not cool... technically you are not making a personal attack but this is borderline. wether you like him or not... whats the point of you posting you statment? really? First you start talking about base jumpers in a wingsuit forum... makes me think troll, but your profile says you have 3k jumps...

Please move this to the bonfire....

Le Roy
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

1) I think you might be over-generalizing about BASE jumpers. Not all of them hold the same views about anything.

2) I, personally, admire and respect Jeb Corliss. He has worked very hard to do the things he's done, and continues to work hard both (a) to follow his own dreams, and (b) to do so in a way that is positive for the sport.

3) Following their personal path through life does not always lead people to the safest, easiest things. If that were the case, we'd all be sitting on couches. I, personally, am glad that folks like Jeb continue to push the limits. His willingness to take risks in the pursuit of his dreams (and the willingness of others to do the same thing) makes the world a richer place for the rest of us.

4) I find your reference to Dwain Weston's death in extremely poor taste.

If you'd like to grab a beer and discuss this, and you really are in SLC (as per your profile) drop me a PM, or email or give me a call (PM for phone number, if you're interested). I'm down there semi regularly, and with that username, I'd guess you've been up here a few times, as well.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom you fall into that same category, how many times have you been out of the game due to a bad judgement call? I am sure you and Jeb get along great telling stories about yourselves, maybe youll get a documentary on OLN someday too.

I know you do what you do for personal reasons but when others may follow in your footsteps maybe you should be a little more reserved with the details?

I know you do what you do for personal reasons but when others may follow in your footsteps maybe you should be a little more reserved with the details?

Wouldn't a full report on the details of various injuries and consequences help people to evaluate for themselves whether they wish to do those things?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

maybe he should fly over the top of a bridge...

Unless that comment's similarity to an incident Jeb was involved in a few years back is purely coincidental, that's just inappropriate.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Hey Justin,
It sure is easy to sit on the sidelines and critique..........comments like yours are made to draw out the nastiness in people . I'm sure you would really appreciate it if people ripped on your ideas and actions. I wonder if you have ever met Jeb or Tom. I bet your opinion would change quite a bit if you actually me either one of these guys.
Why am I wasting my time with even answering you.....

edit to remove personal attack ~TA
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

It is not the critic who counts;
not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled
or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man
who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly;
who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows great enthusiasms,
the great devotions;
who spends himself in a worthy cause;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while
DARING GREATLY
so that his place shall never be
with those timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

I admire some of Jeb's jumps ... just not willing to accumulate that much scar tissue, debts, ex-wives, hang overs, etc. to follow in his footsteps.
I can say the same about a lot of other great men in the skydiving industry: Tom Clausson, TK Donle, TK Hayes, etc.

Can relate to personal attacks,if you dont know who the thoughts and research that goes into a planned action,or stunt as the uninformed have refered to certain actions,keep you opinions out of publick!!! If some chose to push the limet,let then have the space they need, we learn from pushen limets, not hide behind a viel and poke at what ifs. I push limets not to impress others, its so we can all learn and grow!!!!,Some may get hurt or die because of misjudged or unforeseen problems that may appear, but if we dont move on.......mabe we should go back to roundsa and static line....
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Many of today's heros were called idiots in their days....

Planning to land a wingsuit might sounds like a stupid idea and would classify him as an idiot in many people's minds..... but Jeb probably has something in mind that enables him to do this safely.

Jeb is certanly not an idiot. I'd say that idiots are those who can not see beyond techinques of present and do not have a vision. Also, idiots could be all of those who think Jeb will land his wingsuit on the conrete runway or grass strip. And what's wrong in pioneering anyway?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." (Albert Einstein)

Jeez, the more I know the world of skydiving, the more mediocre minds I see. Most funny, you don't even need to find them. Just say something, and they'll go: "I'm here!"

I carry a copy of this quote in my wallet :

"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, 'What is the use of climbing Mount Everest ?' and my answer must at once be, 'It is no use'. There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It's no use. So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for."

George Mallory, 1922

When people ask why I BASE jump or skydive I give them that to read. If they don't ask sensible questions after that I change the topic or move on. :)
Will

I'm happy to see someone that knows about George Mallory and applies his believes and thoughts in our community, and as far as been Idiots , I don't believe there is such a thing but I believe we make bad decisions from time to time because we are humans and all we can do is learn from them, I don't know Jeb and I never knew Dwain but like Mallory he died doing something he believe he could , things went bad so ! one bad decision is that decision made him a Idiot ??? I don't think so , if Jeb believes he can land a wingsuit then let him do it that's what he believes and I hope he succeed because that's what life is all about it , you go do your homework and go out there and take the chances just like Mallory and Irvine did in 1922 , did they succeed NO but they are heroes to me and to many people out there that thought they could.

Ignorance,

that is what this is just all about. When people don't know the knowledge behind some actions or don't understand it, they classify it as stupid.
Is this again an anti-BASE message? The reason why so many skydivers are anti-BASE is the same why so many whuffo's are anti-skydive: they just don't know anything about it.

Jeb doesn't do stunts. Stunts are something you do to show off, to impress people. People who do stunts are people who drink excessive amounts of alcohol at the dz and sy, 'well, let's jump of that brigde and show the video later at the dz'. What Jeb (and other people) do is mearly trying to do what has never been done before, in order to advance the sport, and also themselfs.

People die while pussing the limits. Dwain Weston was such a person. I wouldn't call him an idiot. Dwain had over 1200 basejumps without injury when he died, idiots usually don't make it pass 100 alive.

Also, not everyone finds it important to live a long and healthy life. With the current interests of me, I don't see how it will be long, and healty. I don't find that important. What I find important is that I can do what I want to do.
I would rather die at 30 basejumping, then I would die at 70 of cancer, and never have parachuted out of a plane or of something.

I have a huge respect and admiration for Jeb. Maybe you should look behind the jump, to 'person Jeb' instead of 'jumper Jeb'. As you have seen the OLN documentary you should know what fucked childhood Jeb had. You don't want to have that, believe me, I'm having my fair share of it myself.

I don't really care what people think of me, and I don't think Jeb cares about what you think of him.

Thijs

Questions - are you a parachutist?

When you are at the drop zone, have you ever gazed into the sky? Have you ever seen anything in the sport so glaringly different that it captured your mind, body, and soul? Who or what do you look up to? What - nothing? What are you aiming for in life? You don't need to. That's OK, but others may want to take that chance, reach for the sky. Maybe they will achieve what they set out to achieve. Maybe they'll fail, they won't die wondering. Even if they do die.

Apparently you are a wingsuit pilot. You know, I turned up to the drop zone last decade wearing my home made ws, and guess what I encountered? YOU? I listened and absorbed in case there was some learnings hidden in amongst all the crap. But I continued. It's great to be a pioneer. It adds dimensions to life that cannot be achieved by followers.

I may be an idiot. But I am living, I have lived, and I will always be alive!!

I knew DW VERY WELL. Many things that todays jumpers take for granted are due to him. I am well aquainted with Jeb. What a character indeed. I wish him all the best of luck.

You see idiots. Others see the road to personal achievement and development. Your choice, their choice.

That is why look up to "idiots".
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.